Calories burned walking on the beach...

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread.

At least the person who bumped it must have used "Search" - so there's that :flowerforyou:
    Sweet! Double resurrection. That even beats Jesus.
  • healthyqldteacher
    Options
    Just what I was looking for, thanks:smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    triple.

Somebody bump that Plexus Slim thread again.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • vimoore4
    vimoore4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started walking on the beach (on soft sand) last week. It is hard. This morning my hour walk burned 1653 calories with an average heart rate of 152. Already my thighs don't jiggle. I am headed back at sunset for 30 more minutes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I started walking on the beach (on soft sand) last week. It is hard. This morning my hour walk burned 1653 calories with an average heart rate of 152. Already my thighs don't jiggle. I am headed back at sunset for 30 more minutes.

Are you sure?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

No you didn't.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I would think it depends on how soft and how deep the sand is. Walking near the water on the hard-pack sand is just the same as walking on the sidewalk. Once you get into the soft stuff though, I can see how that would raise your HR.

No it is not the same. You are right that fluffy dry sand is much harder than the wet, packed stuff, but it is not "just the same as walking on the sidewalk." I run the beach nearly every day in the spring/summer, and I run pavement in the winter & late fall. Even the packed sand (it's never like concrete) can be a bit of a challenge. I can always feel the difference when I switch surfaces. There are mud flats at the water's edge, too. You'll feel that burn like no sidewalk.

To the OP: I don't really count calories, so really I just estimate my burns. I am probably burning more on sand and definitely when I run or walk in about 2 feet of water <<< now *that's* a workout.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Zombie thread.

d'oh!

qeqM0eN.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Lol. No you didnt
  • marcyjo43
    Options
    I started walking on the beach often about 2 years ago - but was having a lot of pain in my feet ( I have tendonitis). It was so bad that I could not walk the next day very much. So I had to start wearing sneakers and make sure I am not walking on a slant. Now I do not have any pain in my feet after walking.
    Try to wear sneakers if you want to walk on the beach.