Charlie Horse?

Options
I woke up last night with an AWFUL Charlie Horse in my left calf. I haven't gotten one of those since growth spurts a few years ago. Anyone know what causes them? I was really excited because today was my "start over" day at the gym and now my muscle is still really sore and hurts to even walk on. :angry:

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    no idea what causes them- you could have strained it recently and not even realized or slept on it wrong. i've heard potassium is good for muscle cramps and such, so maybe grab a banana when you get the chance? warm up the muscle with massaging and light walking and you might still be ok to work out :)
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    potassium deficiency is definitely one cause
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager I got them bad enough that my parents took me to the doctor. His only answer was to eat bananas (potasium) and drink milk (calcium)
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I find when I don't drink enough milk I get them too
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    dehydration or a lack of potasium
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I get them when I need vitamin D.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Increasing potassium and when you are lying in bed and stretch your legs, stretch heel first not toes... this will keep it from happening.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always used to get these when I hadn't had enough salt (weirdly)
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I get them in my feet. I have tried EVERYTHING.

I finally asked a friend who is in sports medicine and she said sometimes it is not a deficiency of any sort but from over extending the muscle.

Wouldn't you know it I started to notice I typically get them when I am stretching or trying to use my toe to reach my flip flops before I get off the couch or out of bed.

So I have been trying to slowly work on the flexibility of my feet and legs, also not pointing my toes or arching my feet, and I have had a significantly drop in the amount I get.

Good luck! I know they hurt super bad
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I always used to get these when I hadn't had enough salt (weirdly)

me too
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Increasing potassium and when you are lying in bed and stretch your legs, stretch heel first not toes... this will keep it from happening.

Yep! you need to increase the postassium. You can take a supplement or have a banana !
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Yep! you need to increase the postassium. You can take a supplement or have a banana !

I have the same issue..looked into the best sources of potassium....swiss chard is top of the list.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    I only get them when I don't eat enough potassium. Eat Banana's, avocado's, sweet potatoes, sunflower seeds etc.