Microwaved egg whites?

Options
2»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Kaitlynj, I will have to try that. When I get paid I'll find a cast iron skillet (preseasoned or do it myself) .... Maybe I can bribe my husband to go to a farmers market since I have class on Saturdays. Come to think of it, I think my dad used to use a cast iron skillet when he made us bacon and (fried) egg sandwiches growing up. God I miss those.

Thanks for the tip!

Mine is one of the supposedly "pre-seasoned" Lodge Logic ones and it has taken quite a bit of use (and virtually no washing!) to get it to being seasoned to my liking, so it is a process. I have actually heard that if you can find an antique one at a garage sale or on eBay, those are better than the new ones sold today.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I'd love to keep the yolks, but my cholesterol says NO! It's not a myth, as I found out.....when I lost 35 lbs my LDL, which was borderline high to begin with, went up, even though I was eating very clean and exercising almost every day. I was eating one whole hard-boiled egg every morning before my 5 am workout.

My doctor suggested I cut out the egg & see if it made a difference. Six months later my LDL went down, quite substantially. So it was likely the egg, although not scientifically proven.

But I do love egg whites, and from what my registered dietician told me they are a great source of protien even without the yolk.

There are different types of LDL.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896/ns/health-heart_health/t/bad-cholesterol-its-not-what-you-think

This isn't a scientific article about it, by any means, but I like the explanation and it reflects what I have heard from cholesterol researchers.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Kaitlynj, I will have to try that. When I get paid I'll find a cast iron skillet (preseasoned or do it myself) .... Maybe I can bribe my husband to go to a farmers market since I have class on Saturdays. Come to think of it, I think my dad used to use a cast iron skillet when he made us bacon and (fried) egg sandwiches growing up. God I miss those.

Thanks for the tip!

Mine is one of the supposedly "pre-seasoned" Lodge Logic ones and it has taken quite a bit of use (and virtually no washing!) to get it to being seasoned to my liking, so it is a process. I have actually heard that if you can find an antique one at a garage sale or on eBay, those are better than the new ones sold today.

i have the same one, i used flax oil and a 450 degree oven for 30 min to season mine, took maybe 3 or 4 sessions to get it nice and seasoned
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    i have the same one, i used flax oil and a 450 degree oven for 30 min to season mine, took maybe 3 or 4 sessions to get it nice and seasoned
    Never tried flax oil, but I heard that works well too.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I cook whole (scrambled) eggs and just whites in the microwave almost everyday because I take 'em to work to make there. When at home though, it's just as fast to cook in a pan.

But I use plastic containers, cuz I'm packing them for work, and don't spray them with anything first. Just put in whatever I'm making that day (whole or whites), add any extras (avocado, tomatoes, cooked bacon, cooked turkey, etc) and then I nuke 'em for about 1 min. Take 'em out, scrape the cooked bits off the sides, break it up and stir it back up. Then I nuke it again for another 1:30-1:45. Hit 'em again with my fork to scramble 'em all up. If they still look slightly wet, another 10 seconds will usually do it, otherwise just eat and enjoy.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use this little plastic microwave egg cooker that I got at walmart. 2 egg whites (don't even have to spray), close it up, nuke it for 50 seconds and it's all good. I do it because it cooks them into little discs that fit nicely on my light english muffin. It saves me from cleaning a pan and is a bit quicker.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Mother nature cries when the yolk is thrown out...
    Word. Guys, the yolk is where all of the vitamins are! Send them to meeeee!!!

To the OP, I have microwaved eggs before and I found it hard to get the texture right. They often seemed overcooked. It seems really quick to me to toss a few eggs in a skillet.

Give me an address you will have a dozen egg yolks a day. I'm thinking a dozen egg yolks a day would put my cholesterol way over...
    If you eat the whole egg, you probably wouldn't need to eat a dozen a day. :happy:

FWIW: I'd look into the cholesterol thing--I think that myth is on its way to being debunked, if it hasn't been already (it has been for me). I'm not concerned about it.

The most recent stuff I've read on eggs suggests that while they are indeed high in cholesterol, they can actually be useful in reducing LDL and over blood cholesterol levels. Now of course that doesn't account for the experience of another poster here, but as with all of this much of it depends on your body and how it responds. I eat a lot of eggs and my LDL at my last physical (about a month ago) was extremely good as was my over blood cholesterol content. So obviously I'm happy to eat the entire egg, I usually have 2 a day and just ignore the fact that MFP says I'm over on cholesterol.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    This is a legit question and not trying to be rude at all...

For the responders that cook their eggs in the microwave, can you tell me why? Do you enjoy the taste better, time constraints, ease of cleanup? What is YOUR reason for cooking eggs in the microwave?

I've never encountered anyone who does this, until I joined MFP. It just seems so odd to me.

In the microwave was how I first learned how to cook eggs. Because it was when I was a little kid and my mom allowed me to make my own eggs in the microwave before I was allowed to use the stove.

Now I do it because I'm not a morning person so I don't wake up early enough to make/eat breakfast before work. So I prep my eggs in a plastic container with all my fixin's and put it in my lunch bag to take to work. Then I can cook them in the microwave at work and still have a hot breakfast of scrambled eggs. When I'm at home there's no point though, they cook just as quickly in a pan so I cook 'em the regular way when I'm at home.
  • stsanche
    stsanche Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mother nature cries when the yolk is thrown out...

and my guts cry when I eat the egg yolks. Egg yolk allergy here!