How much sleep?

Options
Do you get a night. I went to bed around 1 am last night and got up at 6:45 and I can't keep my eyes open. I can go to bed a hour earlier and it's the same.. So how many hours are you getting of sleep... I shouldn't be this tired all the time..

Replies

• ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Do you get a night. I went to bed around 1 am last night and got up at 6:45 and I can't keep my eyes open. I can go to bed a hour earlier and it's the same.. So how many hours are you getting of sleep... I shouldn't be this tired all the time..
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That's less than 6 hours of sleep. No wonder you are tired! You need at LEAST 7 a night. With that said, I seldom get 7, but I'm also always tired!:yawn:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    At least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep at least 6 times per week. That's my rule. I usually end up getting 7 most nights.
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I need at least 8 hours to be productive and happy the next day...9 would be optimal. I usually go to bed around 9 pm, asleep by 9:30 and then up around 6 am. It's a lot of sleeping but it really helps. The more you exercise, the more your body needs some sleep. If you do a search on the internet, you might be able to find a rule of thumb for hours of exercise per week and how much more sleep you need.

The amount of sleep needed per individual varies but I think on average most adults need 8 hours a night.
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You are so lucky to be able to get all that sleep. Lately I've been waking up at 2:30 AM and can't get back to sleep. That is the worst feeling, especially if you have to work all day.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    If I don't get my full 8 hours sleep, I am a reck the next day.
    I find, with all the water I drink now, I'm gettign up 2-3 times a night to visit the toilet :grumble:

A lot of people NEED 8 hours, but we seldom get it :blushing:
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you can't get more sleep I have 2 words for you... Pepsi Max! it has 0 cal 0 fat and 0 sugar. It tastes a lot better than an energy drink and 1 8 oz glass will keep u going for half the day.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Well, I was crazy last night and I did my work out at 8 pm. So I was all awake and had the adrenaline pumping til well after midnight, then I lay down and my brain was still going. I'm going to do my workout here in a bit. Hoping it will wake me up.. I SOOOO wanna take a nap since my 1 year old is napping. But not gonna. Maybe I'll gt in bed by 10:30 tonight.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Other ways to stay awake:

1) Get on your feet more! Taking a walk is probably the most energizing part of a coffee/snack break.
    2) Dress less warmly INDOORS (not outside). Feeling a little bit cold keeps you from dozing off.
    3) Make sure that the room you're in is well-lit, and if possible get some natural sunlight!

And if you need help getting to sleep, I've found that these things help:
    1) Technical reading.
    2) Melatonin (I take 1-2 mg when I feel like I can't get to sleep.)
    3) An extra blanket and socks instead of turning up the thermostat.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    If you can't get more sleep I have 2 words for you... Pepsi Max! it has 0 cal 0 fat and 0 sugar. It tastes a lot better than an energy drink and 1 8 oz glass will keep u going for half the day.

ICk? does it taste like Pepsi? lol not my fav.. I actually drink a crystal lite energy on the go. and I take a mega dose of B12. It seems to help, but I always wait til I'm sleepy to remember to take it.

OOOH.. I would looove to have a Rockstar right now.. 140 cals per 8 oz though:noway:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I use to get 8. In the last few weeks I was waking up more so I started to go to bed later. Now I'm getting 7 and sleeping through the night.

I also switched from drinking coffee to green tea. I have more energy during the day. All the caffeine I was taking in was giving me bursts but then I'd crash & be so tired. So I don't recommend going the energy drink/caffeine route if you are tired.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Other ways to stay awake:

1) Get on your feet more! Taking a walk is probably the most energizing part of a coffee/snack break.
    2) Dress less warmly INDOORS (not outside). Feeling a little bit cold keeps you from dozing off.
    3) Make sure that the room you're in is well-lit, and if possible get some natural sunlight!

And if you need help getting to sleep, I've found that these things help:
    1) Technical reading.
    2) Melatonin (I take 1-2 mg when I feel like I can't get to sleep.)
    3) An extra blanket and socks instead of turning up the thermostat.

This is great advice! I will add that keeping a sleep schedule (getting up and going to bed at the same time) helps alot. Train your body.
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yellow pepper you're so right about technical reading...it doesn't matter what time of day I'm doing it, it'll usually put me to sleep in 30 min or less.:laugh:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Melatonin works for me! Those energy drink are really bad for you. They're considered a legal "drug". I went to a Nursing Conferece in Vegas a couple years ago and they went on and on about how bad they are.:noway: I guess any heavy duty stimulant can be damaging to the old heart and kidneys. I need lots of sleep, but am on Meds that make me sleepy. there is nothing worse than lying in bed tossing and turning.:yawn:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Last night I got the first good night's sleep I've had in about a week....7 hours seems to be enough for me. Any more than that and I wake up groggy the next morning.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If I don't get 7-8 hours of sleep a night I drag myself all day.

When I first started working out I was waking up at 6:53AM to get to the gym before work... and at first it was HELL. I was soo tired, every day. I was dragging myself around, falling asleep at work. :frown: It was really bad.

A month and a week into my new schedule I suddenly woke up one morning at 6AM feeling awake and cheerful and ever since I've been going to bed an hour earlier then normal (as soon as I get off work I go right to bed) and feeling much better sleep wise.

So I guess after a month my body adjusted to the new schedule. :smile: Thankfully!
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I NEED my sleep! I am so grouchy if I don't get it. I usually am in bed by about 10pm and up around 6am..... usually sleep quite well too! So about 8 hours seems to be my "need" :smile:
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get between 7-8 hours a sleep a night.
    When I dont get enough sleep I tend to be hungry all day....
    and grouchy too.:grumble:
    It took me a while to train myself but come bed time I am more than ready.
  • annekejohnson
    annekejohnson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me six hours is optimal but only if I get to sleep in one day a week. I work 4 days a week so I sleep 6 or 7 hours during the week and then on my day off I sleep in. I think it all depends on what your natural cycle is. I'm a night owl. I would prefer to go to bed at 3am and sleep til 9 or 10. I absolutely HATE getting up at 6 or 7. I do find that if I get up at 6 and exercise for several days in a row that I have more energy thru the day and I get up easier and in a better mood.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    If I don't get my full 8 hours sleep, I am a reck the next day.
    I find, with all the water I drink now, I'm gettign up 2-3 times a night to visit the toilet :grumble:

A lot of people NEED 8 hours, but we seldom get it :blushing:

stop drinking water 2 hours before bed - it should help I was having the same problem

I also need 8 - 9 hours but usually only get 7 of uninterupted sleep with one trip to the potty in between- my hubby gets up and hour before me and the alarm goes off, lights on, etc. Funny I hear alarm but sleep thru the lights now.