Brown rice

Options
MissJen84
MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
What is your favorite way to use brown rice? I wasnt given a huge bag of it, but it always taste blah to me. Meals, sides, whatever is great! =)

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice can be turned into anything you want, which is what I like about it.

Lemon Herb Rice:
    Fresh Lemon Juice
    Dill

Mint Rice:
    Fresh Mint
    Thyme
    Basil

Want spicy rice?
    Toss in some red pepper flakes, paprika, black pepper and/or cajun.

A VERY small amount of butter will go A LONG WAY with getting your spices to stick to the rice versus just falling off.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Double post...Sorry
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love to throw it in the crockpot along with chicken breast (add some water, and seasonings to taste). The flavors all go together and it's a total win!
  • luvgiggles2
    Options
    I add garlic. I get some fresh garlic and cut it into pieces. I throw it in the rice cooker with the rice, and it gives it some nice flavor. I love garlic! Give it a shot.
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Found this recipe recently and loved it! http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/zucchini_rice_casserole.html

Sometimes I just make a serving of brown rice and lay a grilled fish filet on top of it. The juices from the fish flavor it, and make it moist and yummy :)

Hope this helps!!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I cook my brown rice in the rice cooker then put some cinnamon and raisins on it with a little almond milk. Makes a great substitute for oatmeal ( I am celiac)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One skillet meal:

Copped garlic, onion, carrots, celery and peppers (hot and sweet, amounts depending on how hot you like it)
    Saute until softened, then add
    Dried beans of your choice (I like to mix white and red beans)
    Season with black pepper, chili powder and ceyenne to taste.
    Add rice and liquid and cook till rice is done.
    Remove from heat and stir in about 1 cup of chopped hot pepper rings and a little juice from the jar

It's also great with stir fry. Shrimp, broccoli, carrots and onion is one of my faves.