How I Miss MaHuang, sometimes (DON'T, DON'T, DON'T!)

Options
So, I've got one of those bodies that habitually reacts to diet and exercise by getting... VERY.... tired. The last time that I had to lose a chunk of weight, I'd plateau at the drop of a hat, and I'd have almost NO energy the moment I reduced my calories. So, I used MaHuang, which is now banned (for good reason). I lost that weight and had plenty of energy.

This time, I'm trying to do it healthily and sustainably, but I'm getting REALLY tired of daily exhausted crashes and general tiredness. I cut my calories and increase my exercise; my body cuts my energy level. A healthy, lifestyle with moderate exercise and a well-balanced diet is supposed to INCREASE your energy, right? But, after the endorphin rush, I crash.

Is there anybody who has had this problem and genuinely FIXED IT?!

I'm really TIRED of being TIRED!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    is it possible you either a) over diet (reduce your calories by too much) or b) don't take a multi vitamin and don't eat enough nutrients when you are dieting?

or some combination of the 2?

Because I was getting really tired and weak for a while there and it was because I was only eating between 1150 and 1400 calories a day which seems fine for some of the ladies on here but was not enough for me -- I upped it to eating between 1550 and 1900 a day (stayign more on the 1600-1700 side) and I'm doing much better all around and still losing weight (even though I'm not particularly huge and those calories look like they are on the high side for someone my size (5'6" 177).

*edit* PS -- try journaling your normal non-diet food for 2 weeks then journal your diet food for 2 weeks and see how your macros compare also -- like when you start to diet do you cut out most of your calories in the form of fat or protein or carbs?
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    is it possible you either a) over diet (reduce your calories by too much) or b) don't take a multi vitamin and don't eat enough nutrients when you are dieting?

or some combination of the 2?

This is what I was gonna ask, also c) do you drink enough water? low hydration is linked to fatigue as well.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had a big problem with fatigue. The doctor started giving me 1000mg B12 shots once a month and it makes a HUGE difference. So much that I can tell when the time is coming for my next shot because I get very tired very easily.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Another thing to watch for (I second the questions from tameko and cpearcy) is what you're eating... I find that I have crashes like that if I eat a lot of carbs.. I've cut back on how many I have (eat oatmeal instead of cereal, use wraps instead of bread, no more bagels, etc) and it's made a HUGE difference for me...
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    just looked at your diary - have you been tested for Gluten Intolerance?
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest talking to a doctor and dietitian. you never know what might be going on, could be a health issue or just a mix of foods that aren't working for you.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best solution, but I drink diet mountain dew... I don't drink coffee but I really need some caffeine in my system for energy. Try adding more protein or maybe more complex carbohydrates instead of simple carbs. The complex ones take longer to digest and won't yo-yo your blood sugar as much.

Someone else mentioned gluten-intolerance. I had a friend who used to pass out the minute he sat on the couch after work and had no energy at all (other stomach/digestion issues as well). After switching to gluten-free diet he says he is a different person. Maybe switch to gluten-free or reduce gluten and see if that helps? Just get rid of flour for awhile and stick with rice and corn. That is an easy way to reduce gluten.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I now have some questions to take to a doctor with me. :-) I wouldn't have thought about gluten intolerance.

Also, I've cut a LOT of fat out of my diet since starting (took the skin off of the chicken and vetoed chips, which were my two worst demons), here, and I've cut a lot of SUGAR, as I've replaced a lot of my fruit with green, leafy vegetables, so my body may just not like me going so low fat when I'm also exercising.

Good suggestions!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    So, I've got one of those bodies that habitually reacts to diet and exercise by getting... VERY.... tired. The last time that I had to lose a chunk of weight, I'd plateau at the drop of a hat, and I'd have almost NO energy the moment I reduced my calories. So, I used MaHuang, which is now banned (for good reason). I lost that weight and had plenty of energy.

This time, I'm trying to do it healthily and sustainably, but I'm getting REALLY tired of daily exhausted crashes and general tiredness. I cut my calories and increase my exercise; my body cuts my energy level. A healthy, lifestyle with moderate exercise and a well-balanced diet is supposed to INCREASE your energy, right? But, after the endorphin rush, I crash.

Is there anybody who has had this problem and genuinely FIXED IT?!

I'm really TIRED of being TIRED!

Have you had your Thyroid, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D levels checked via a blood test?
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Note: Yes, I take a multi-vitamin.