Warrior Dash Logistic Advice

Options
So...I am running the Warrior Dash in Charles City, VA tomorrow. I have read lots of advice on here about the obstacles and the running of the race itself (thanks everyone...I feel much better about all that now!). What I am looking for now is if anyone has any advice about the logistics of everything - bring change of clothes? How many towels? Can we really check our stuff someplace in while we are running? Any way to get a little cleaned up after (I am fully aware I will be going home muddy but I am wondering if I can change clothes anywhere).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Here's my experience when I did one in March:

Bring towels/plastic bags for your car seats...just in case.

To clean up and dry off, I'd recommend a couple of towels.

Yes, there was a place to check belongings, and get them later.

There wasn't any place to change clothes, but I did change my shoes, socks, and shirt. The weather was hot and sunny for me, so everything else dried while I hung out afterwards.

There wasn't an official place to wash off, but there was a pond we all waded into to remove the worse of the mud. Helped a lot.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/edorice

I have some logistics advice on my blog. I would bring an extra towel. You may be sprayed off after the race. People dunked themselves in the lake after our mud run. I would take a plastic trash bag to sit on in your car. A lot of people leave their shoes behind for donation. I didn't because I re-wore the shoes for another mud run. I would strongly recommend longer workout pants that go over your knees. A lot of women want to look cute in bare legs and such, but the rocks and mud will jack you up.

I've seen your workouts. You're ready for this!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My experience is going to be a little different as it was a marine corp mud run, so I don't know about storage or clean off, but definitely take garbage bags and towels. If you don't think there's going to be a wash down area, think about taking several gallon jugs and using that water to rinse off some in the end. I know that by the time I was done with my 7 miles I wanted to be at least slightly rinsed off and in something dry. I'm wondering what you would have to check, a car key fits very nicely into a sports bra, but our vehicles were quite near the starting line. We didn't have a place to change, so I strippted down to my shorts and sports bra, rinsed off, wrapped a beach towel around me, and deck changed.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Have FUN tomorrow! I just recruited a few girls at work to do the Maryland Warrior Dash with me in May next year -- and this is all good advice!

edorice -- good advice about covering the knees!!

You'll have to let us know how your goes tomorrow!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    At the end of our dash here in NC, they had big hoses to water us all down. Helped a little bit, but I still found mud in places the next day.

Don't use your workout best, if anything wear clothes that you plan on never wearing again. no matter how much you try, the mud will not get out of your clothes. Bring a towel or two to sit on in the car.

They do have a check in place for your spare clothes/towels/keys etc.

Good advice on the knee coverings, mine were totally scraped up

Have fun!!

Tina - I am planning on doing Maryland in May with my brother
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would dress in layers, and bring garbage bags to transport any clothing you want to keep! If you are donating your shoes and throwing away your socks, its not biggie, but i wore a sweatshirt that even after thorough washing was still muddy. Luckily i had a grocery bag in my car to prevent my car getting muddy. We had fireman at ours spraying people down, but it was 50 degrees, windy, no sun, and freezing cold. We each had a towel, but in hindsight, i wished i had a second towel waiting in the car to shield the seat from my wet butt. There was no where to change. Some people went balls out naked right there. I created a towel fort by the car, but didn't feel comfortable taking everything off so i had wet undergarments on for the drive home.

When i got home there was gravel in my undies, and a 6 inch twig in my bra. seriously. wear the old stuff :)

The knee pads idea thing is brilliant.....i ended up destroying both my knees....although it made for an epic picture of me jumping through flames covered in blood. epic.

Hope the weather is good for you!!!
  • edorice
    Options
    post some pics!
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i am glad i saw this. i have my warrior dash in november. thanks for all the info !!!
  • tita0427
    tita0427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    im going to be training to do the spartan mud race in February....any tips on training?
  • edorice
    Options
    im going to be training to do the spartan mud race in February....any tips on training?

You should work on upper body strength, such as push-ups, chair dips, and shoulder work. Pretty much: P90X. Also, you need to work on your cardio endurance if you haven't started that.
  • tita0427
    tita0427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you! I started jogging a bit...not enough though...lol.