Strength Training ?

Options
Hi I have 2 questions about strength training. I started lifting weights last week and I wanted to know if it is normal to gain weight? I know muscle weighs more, but I wanted to know if that is enough to show on the scale. I also wanted to know if I should be eating my calories burned during strength training?

Replies

• fitsharon
    fitsharon Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi I have 2 questions about strength training. I started lifting weights last week and I wanted to know if it is normal to gain weight? I know muscle weighs more, but I wanted to know if that is enough to show on the scale. I also wanted to know if I should be eating my calories burned during strength training?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It is normal to gain weight, but if it's showing on the scale after a week, it's not muscle.
    It takes a LONG TIME to gain muscle mass even in a caloric excess. A woman can expect to gain about 1lb of muscle per MONTH while eating 100-200 extra calories per day.

However, what you gain when you begin to lift isn't fat either. Muscles store sugar in the form of glycogen, and all glycogen molecules bind with water and carry it into the muscles. So the weight you see is actually from a lot of new glycogen and water being stored in preparation for the high amount of work you're now forcing the muscles to do. It's not uncommon to see some swelling either.

Do count the calories you burn while training. They're no different from any other calories burned. :smile:
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    So....in general, a 30 min weight training session should burn less than 220 cals per 30 mins (approx. 430 cals/Hr.). As an aside, weight gain for me occurs in tandem to my eating increased carbs when weight training (I had an earlier confession on baked goods craving when I increase in fitness ;-(

I'm not well versed in calorie coverage during strength training, as I've focused on proteins and potassium (bananas) for muscle retention and strength build.

Please keep in mind that One pound of lean muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat, so if there's a size increase, it may be initially due to swelling, but over time, you will see a tighter more refined tone. As always, a cardio program added to strength training is optimal for peak performance.
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    It is normal to gain weight, but if it's showing on the scale after a week, it's not muscle.
    It takes a LONG TIME to gain muscle mass even in a caloric excess. A woman can expect to gain about 1lb of muscle per MONTH while eating 100-200 extra calories per day.

However, what you gain when you begin to lift isn't fat either. Muscles store sugar in the form of glycogen, and all glycogen molecules bind with water and carry it into the muscles. So the weight you see is actually from a lot of new glycogen and water being stored in preparation for the high amount of work you're now forcing the muscles to do. It's not uncommon to see some swelling either.

Do count the calories you burn while training. They're no different from any other calories burned. :smile:

Lovely Songbyrd...I always learn something new here. Thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So....in general, a 30 min weight training session should burn less than 220 cals per 30 mins (approx. 430 cals/Hr.). As an aside, weight gain for me occurs in tandem to my eating increased carbs when weight training (I had an earlier confession on baked goods craving when I increase in fitness ;-(

I'm not well versed in calorie coverage during strength training, as I've focused on proteins and potassium (bananas) for muscle retention and strength build.

Please keep in mind that One pound of lean muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat, so if there's a size increase, it may be initially due to swelling, but over time, you will see a tighter more refined tone. As always, a cardio program added to strength training is optimal for peak performance.

The weight increase with the carbohydrate increase makes perfect sense. More carbohydrates=more glucose=more glycogen.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Lovely Songbyrd...I always learn something new here. Thanks!

Awe thanks!
    The bananas are a great idea. Replenishes carbohydrates and some electrolytes as well. Plus they're so yummy. :bigsmile: