fruity sugar

Options
I eat so much fruit that my sugar levels are invariably higher than they should be (serious clementine addiction)

calories are still ok- should i curb the citrus cravings?

Replies

• DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat so much fruit that my sugar levels are invariably higher than they should be (serious clementine addiction)

calories are still ok- should i curb the citrus cravings?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    While fruit sugar isn't as bad as table sugar, it's made up of the same types of sugar (glucose and fructose), just in different ratios based on the fruit. Some are higher in glucose, and should be eaten less. Some are higher in fructose, and those don't have much of an impact on blood sugar. And some are really high in water so they don't have much of either. I just did a quick search and it looks like there's a 3:1 ratio of glucose to fructose in oranges, so if they're sending your sugar through the roof, I'd probably cut back. No matter where the sugar comes from, if it's increasing your insulin all day, it's going to cause issues eventually.
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yikes!

thanks! It's mad, you think you're being so healthy and then it turns out that you're not. Thats why forums such as this are so great!

I cant wait till pod peas are back in season over here..... then i can really go wild! :laugh:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    Daisy,
    I had the same problem as you except mine was with grapes, mmmm I love Red grapes, unfortunatly you should only eat about 5-6 per serving, and I would eat about 30-40 per serving... not good counting that withthe banana and teh orange or apple that i ate my triglycerides were high... but now I am working on my low sugar diet and I feel healthier than before, it seems I am alot more calm as I used to be, my sugar level does not fluctuate as much as it did before.

good luck! and keep in mind everything in moderation!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    yikes!

thanks! It's mad, you think you're being so healthy and then it turns out that you're not. Thats why forums such as this are so great!

I cant wait till pod peas are back in season over here..... then i can really go wild! :laugh:

Yea, a lot of people assume that things from the ground--grains, fruits, tubors-- are so healthy that moderation isn't even necessary. I remember seeing one show on Discovery Health about a morbidly obese man who would eat 10 tangerines in one sitting. In some cases, you really can eat your fill--like with lettuce. But things that contain starch or simple sugars do need to be monitored. The better it tastes, the more you have to watch it LOL :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The more I read and learn...the governments food guidelines like 4-5 servings of fruit a day are total nonsense. Fruits and the sugars they have are actually not needed at anywhere near the level of 4-5 servings a day. Juices...like apple and orange juice are total nightmares unless you are in the middle of running a long race or something and even then...it can get confusing but since I have cut way back on fruits and totally elimiated juices my energy is up and my weight loss is improving.

when in doubt moderation at a minimum I guess

Dave
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with Dave198lbs.

Juice = not as good for you as people seem to think!

For most people, liquid calories don't produce a feeling of satiety. So, juice drinkers throw hundreds of calories at a craving for sweet/tart that could be satisfied more healthily with flavored water.

I stay away from smoothies for the same reason. I just don't believe they're any good for you UNLESS you are really willing to use them as a meal REPLACEMENT!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I fully agree with Dave198lbs.

Juice = not as good for you as people seem to think!

For most people, liquid calories don't produce a feeling of satiety. So, juice drinkers throw hundreds of calories at a craving for sweet/tart that could be satisfied more healthily with flavored water.

I stay away from smoothies for the same reason. I just don't believe they're any good for you UNLESS you are really willing to use them as a meal REPLACEMENT!

I agree, I never drink juice. You lose out on the fiber that comes with the whole fruit, plus a lot of juices are from concentrate so there's not as much water, so the same ounces of fruit juice to fruit would yield far more calories from the juice. Plus pretty much every juice has added sugar. Even if it doesn't, juice is pretty much fruit minus the good stuff.