Fartleks - speedwork 101 for new runners

Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
Fartlek is Swedish for speed play. Quite simply it is a great way for new runners to start incorporating speedwork into their training. The best part about fartleks is that they are totally free form.

Once you are warmed up and running along at an easy pace, it might look something like this:

run full blast to the stop sign on the corner
easy pace to the big tree
medium pace to the blue truck down the street
easy pace to the street light
full blast to the gas station

You get the idea. No set time or distance at any given pace, just play it by ear and you mix up your paces. You can alternate pace by houses, telephone poles, trees or anything. You can probably do the same thing on a dreadmill, just by randomly messing with the speed a bit.

By way of contrast, intervals (in terms of running training) are usually very specific as to the distance, number of repeats and rest or jogs between intervals. You might run 7 x 1/2 mile repeats w/ 90 second jogs in between or 3 x 1 mile repeats with 2:00 jogs (or one lap) in between.

fholder.jpg

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Heh. Fart.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • arc918
    Options
    give it a try!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A lot of my trail runs turn into quasi-fartleks just by default. Fast downhills or smooth parts of the trail. Hard up hills, easy parts to recover.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bumpin it to reference it later :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • arc918
    Options
    fartleks baby!
  • arc918
    Options
    bumping this old thread based on another thread this morning
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've doing this on my shorter runs because I have no interest in doing interval/sprint work. I have to say, it's been working great for me... I've gone from 11:30-12:00 min/mile, down to about a 10:30 min/mile. (Yes, I'm a slow runner.... but I am improving!).
  • arc918
    Options
    I've doing this on my shorter runs because I have no interest in doing interval/sprint work. I have to say, it's been working great for me... I've gone from 11:30-12:00 min/mile, down to about a 10:30 min/mile. (Yes, I'm a slow runner.... but I am improving!).

I steered clear of structured speedwork for a quite a while, as I assumed it would make running unfun. Turns out I have a love hate relationship with intervals. As painful as they are, it is very satisfying when you nail a workout.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A lot of my trail runs turn into quasi-fartleks just by default. Fast downhills or smooth parts of the trail. Hard up hills, easy parts to recover.

Ditto - I often run around a nearby lake, and what's under foot varies a lot - there are stretches with lots of tree roots waiting to trip me up if I don't walk, hilly areas in an old stream bed with loose gravel, hard packed earth, grass, pavement, etc. etc. So I'm pretty much forced to mix things up without having to think about it much.
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Starting to study this for later after B210K. Complete newb to this kind of thing. Any learning I can do will be very beneficial. This thread looks like a good start.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    I reaize this is an old post, but it's worth bumping.

I started running this year and completed my first 5k March 23rd at a slow and steady pace of 31 minutes. When doing the couch25k app I struggled some days with really, really wanting to RUN but knowing that I would wear myself out and have a tough time completing the full distance without stopping to walk. This week, I decided on a whim to complete a 10K in May because it supports DUI victims (and I am a 10 year survivor of being hit by a dui driver). I'm okay with not running the whole 10K but I am preparing to do my best.

My friend recommended fartlek to help me get ready and I tried it out yesterday. Have to say it was the most fun I've had running since I was a kid. Being able to let go and just RUN felt like a great victory and I stopped beating myself up for needing to go at a slower pace to recover. Plus I didn't have to rely on anything except my own self-imposed goals (just make it to that stop sign, just make it to the top of the hill, etc.) Look forward to seeing the improvements!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Its so much fun running full blast even if its only for a short little burst its nice to see what these old legs can do! :laugh:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I usually do a fartlek once a week for twice as long as my short runs. I also used fartleks on a recent weekend when I ran back to back trail half marathons as well. It pretty fun.
  • arc918
    Options
    Nice to see this old thread getting some action, lots of new runners could benefit from this.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    ahh fartleks! Our hippie, fun loving coach had us do these when I was on the track team in hs. They really work. Good times :smile:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am not so methodical. But I have always had hills that I sprinted and I have always finished off every run with a sprint.