Coconut Oil & eggs

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The OP is making false claims though. He even posted a link to an article which states that coconut oil is 92% saturated fat with only 50% of that saturated fat containing the lauric acid that has the ability to lower LDLs and raise HDLs. Anyone that can do math will see that 50% of one thing that raises unhealthy cholesterol + 50% of another thing that does both, raises HDL and lowers LDL will see that it = a whole lot more raising bad cholesterol!

Harvard Medical newsletters are quite relevant and valid.

Here is a link from the CDC. Feel free to check it out. It lists coconut oil right along with all of the other saturated fats! I used the Harvard article so that people that have heard about "benefits" of coconut oil can understand where they came from to get a better understanding of the 'big picture'.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/saturatedfat.html

The OP is not making false claims.

Here is some information for you to read and seriously consider.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • Grokette
    Options
    One more thing to the OP... Nowhere in any of my posts did I attack you, your weight or your purpose for being here. Truth be known, I came to MFP 2 weeks ago as an assignment in a Clinical Nutrition course. Since I am utilizing it for schoolwork, I felt I would get involved. That is just the way I am! Not only did I not attack you or your weight in any of my posts, I never spoke of coconut oil in the context of weight management. If you re-read your original post, you mentioned saturated fats. At the end, you asked to the general population what their opinion was. I gave you my opinion. It was based on the saturated fat (it is 92% saturated fat! so almost 100% lol) it was NOT worth it due to the effects of saturated fat on your health.

I guess next time you pose a question to the general population asking their thoughts, you should post a requirement that they agree with yours! :huh:
    When someone has a health issue that is lifestyle related, which a majority of things are, they will be given advice by someone with my education on lifestyle changes that they can make to improve their overall health. Just like this scenario, you are free to do with it what you wish. You are the only one accountable for your health. They don't teach us this information without reason.

Good luck on your journey.

If your education on life style changes it so great cherryObebe...............I dont wish to be rude by how did you end up getting on this site to lose weight, or do you not practise what you preach !

You are wrong about the bad health effects of saturated fat, actually the opposite is true. Carbohydrate intake in the form of grains and sugar causing inflammation is what causes the ill effects on the heart and cardiovascular system.
  • Hauteslimdown
    Hauteslimdown Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    wow the drama in this thread kept me thoroughly entertained :wink:

anywho...after watching the movie 'fat head' it really opened up my eyes on fats and sugars so..... #team coconut oil :drinker:

if anyone is interested you can watch it on instant on netflix or on youtube
  • Hauteslimdown
    Hauteslimdown Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you can get coconut oil at health food stores like gnc or vitamin shoppe
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    In your world, genetics plays no role. Saturated fats play no role.

Ignorance is bliss.

Thank you for the personal attacks. Have yourself a good one, sir.

P.S. Like I said, I have only been here for 2 weeks. I was under the impression that my food diary was open to my friends only because that is how I have it set. Have a hay day with my food diary! What you see is my current pic. lol Thanks for the laughs.

No thank you for the laughs...........its funny that your opinion is the only one right, although the more mature readers on this post take a varied view......Genetics and saturated fats, I am am afraid I dont know all the facts nor does anyone and in my world as you call it I am willing to listen to anybody's views....but I am sure you will enlighten us all with your in depth knowledge as a student

Do me a favour and dont post again, you are just annoying and childish......

In your world, genetics plays no role. Saturated fats play no role.

Ignorance is bliss.

Pot calling kettle comes to mind when you say "personal attacks"
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    I gave you my opinion. It was based on the saturated fat (it is 92% saturated fat! so almost 100% lol) it was NOT worth it due to the effects of saturated fat on your health.

I guess next time you pose a question to the general population asking their thoughts, you should post a requirement that they agree with yours! :huh:

Wait, so you're taking a clinical nutrition class?

Have you gone over MCT's? (medium chain triglycerides) yet? The role of the saturated fat from coconut behaves much different than other types of saturated fats. MCT's are actually pretty efficient at going towards energy production instead of fat storage as well. It's a very good choice for people doing low carb diets.

Anyway, you should bring this up in class to start a discussion. Like most things in life, not all saturated fats are created equal.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ranger Steve, thats a bit over my head but general opinion is then that coconut oil is good...........which for my point of view is great as I like the taste of it and prefer it to corn based oils.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I gave you my opinion. It was based on the saturated fat (it is 92% saturated fat! so almost 100% lol) it was NOT worth it due to the effects of saturated fat on your health.

Wait, so you're taking a clinical nutrition class?

Have you gone over MCT's? (medium chain triglycerides) yet? The role of the saturated fat from coconut behaves much different than other types of saturated fats. MCT's are actually pretty efficient at going towards energy production instead of fat storage as well. It's a very good choice for people doing low carb diets.

Anyway, you should bring this up in class to start a discussion. Like most things in life, not all saturated fats are created equal.

Long Chain Saturated Fats are not bad for us either.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Long Chain Saturated Fats are not bad for us either.

You are correct.

However, medium chain triglycerides diffuse into the portal system instead of the lymphatic system so it's almost like they're not a fat at all. Like I was saying above, they behave much differently than other fats so when people say "OMG, SATURATED FAT!!!!" it's really disheartening.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Love cooking eggs in coconut oil It's a delicious way to get most of my fats and protein at the beginning of the day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll agree that not all fats are bad, and fat in general isn't bad, but I'm not convinced of coconut oil yet. Yes, coconut oil can positively affect your overall cholesterol ratio, it does so by raising all of your cholesterol levels, from HDL to VLDL. So while the ratio may look better because it raises HDL's more than VLDL's and LDL's, it still raises them all. Also, saturated fats are still linked to atherosclerosis, and coconut oil hasn't been show to not contribute to atherosclerosis.

I agree it's not bad in moderation, but I still use olive oil as my main oil.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When someone has a health issue that is lifestyle related, which a majority of things are, they will be given advice by someone with my education on lifestyle changes that they can make to improve their overall health. Just like this scenario, you are free to do with it what you wish. You are the only one accountable for your health. They don't teach us this information without reason.

Good luck on your journey.

And what if what they are teaching you is wrong? Hmmm. It's happened plenty of times before in human history. If you never question, then you will never grow, and all learning stops because...DUH...we know it all. And with something as complex as the human body and it's varying chemistry, how can they possibly control all the factors that may contribute? And then there is the question of who is paying them, and what the goals of the study are.

From the way you sound, you'd probably poo poo this guy (but in my eyes, you have to have logic more than a degree...and I've come across some pretty dim witted doctors that can't recognize patterns in their patients or that will actually LISTEN to their patients rather than being caught up in their own self-importance).

Personally, I think he does a pretty fine job making the argument of good science vs. bad and good studies vs. bad (and with humor, at that). He won me over with his argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RXvBveht0
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    All of this over a lil coconut =o

I've never tried coconut oil for cooking before, but thanks to this post I plan to, and see how it works out for me =) Thank you for the information!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Well, I'll agree that not all fats are bad, and fat in general isn't bad, but I'm not convinced of coconut oil yet. Yes, coconut oil can positively affect your overall cholesterol ratio, it does so by raising all of your cholesterol levels, from HDL to VLDL. So while the ratio may look better because it raises HDL's more than VLDL's and LDL's, it still raises them all. Also, saturated fats are still linked to atherosclerosis, and coconut oil hasn't been show to not contribute to atherosclerosis.

I agree it's not bad in moderation, but I still use olive oil as my main oil.

While it is true that researchers have induced heart disease in some animals by giving them extremely large dosages of oxidized or rancid cholesterol—amounts ten times that found in the ordinary human diet—several population studies squarely contradict the cholesterol-heart disease connection. A survey of 1700 patients with hardening of the arteries, conducted by the famous heart surgeon Michael DeBakey, found no relationship between the level of cholesterol in the blood and the incidence of atherosclerosis.9 A survey of South Carolina adults found no correlation of blood cholesterol levels with "bad" dietary habits, such as use of red meat, animal fats, fried foods, butter, eggs, whole milk, bacon, sausage and cheese.10 A Medical Research Council survey showed that men eating butter ran half the risk of developing heart disease as those using margarine.11

Mother’s milk provides a higher proportion of cholesterol than almost any other food. It also contains over 50% of its calories as fat, much of it saturated fat. Both cholesterol and saturated fat are essential for growth in babies and children, especially the development of the brain.12 Yet, the American Heart Association is now recommending a low-cholesterol, lowfat diet for children! Commercial formulas are low in saturated fats and soy formulas are devoid of cholesterol. A recent study linked low fat diets with failure to thrive in children.13

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything about atherosclerosis and cholesterol.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    More generally on the topic of saturated fat and heart disease, here's a great collection of links to published prospective studies (both supportive and unsupportive), as well as links to literature reviews, of the diet-heart hypothesis: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/12/dirty-little-secret-of-diet-heart.html
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the group consensus is. All I can tell you is with me, when my blood sugar is elevated, my chrolesterol goes up When my blood sugar is controlled, my cholesterol is normal. It doesn't matter what kind of fats I'm eating. I eat both kinds. What seems to matter to me is everything else I'm ingesting. They say cholesterol is made by the body to transport sugar into the cell. Maybe when you just plain overeat, you make more cholesterol. I try just to not fry at high temperatures and when I do, to oil the pan, heat the oil and wipe out as much as the excess with a paper towel before I cook. I think the jury is out on which type of fats are good or bad and we're probably not going to solve it here.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat content of coconut oil does NOT make it worth it. It is almost all saturated fat! Saturated fats raise unhealthy LDL, which increases the risk of heart disease. The number 1 way to raise overall blood cholesterol is with saturated fats. Olive oil and other monounsaturated fats actually lower the unhealthy LDL while raising the healthy HDL. Saturated fat and trans fats are poor for heart health.

Sorry you are wrong with coconut oil.....it actually lowers cholesterol.......read below link

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28712-coconut-oil-lower-cholesterol/

or

http://coconut-info.com/mary_enig_cholesterol.htm

Dear kind sir,
    Please use credible sources. Here is one from Harvard Medical. You will find that while it does raise HDLs slightly, it does so while raising the unhealthy LDL! You will find that reliable sources and research still claim that even with the new findings, monounsaturated fats are better because they do NOT raise the unhealthy LDLs while still lowering unhealthy HDLs!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2011/May/coconut-oil

That's not a study, that's just someone's opinion. Plus, it says "overall effects on health can't be predicted just by the changes in LDL and HDL". Oh, and it also says "there's no problem using coconut oil occasionally".

On top of that it doesn't say whether coconut oil raises LDLa or LDLb, which makes all the difference.

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons and haven't seen the evidence yet that coconut oil is a miracle weight loss aid, but health-wise I (admittedly just some average person on the street) can see little obviously wrong with it, and Harvard apparently doesn't either. I understand it may raise the metabolic rate, which could be useful in burning fat. OP please let us know how you get on with it!

coconut oil like any oil I use sparringly.....................no one especially me did not say it was a mircle weight loss cure....nothing is except heathy eating and exercise will do, All I did was point out that some say it has good health benefits...my cholesteral has improved since using it but that could be down to a numerous things eg exercise and healthy eating......I take all that is stated on the internet with a pinch of salt and come to my own decisions.....i love the taste of it and will carry on using it

For every review you can find one against and one for.....for years the U.S.A food pyramid recommend by the government has been believed by millions.............now the U.S.A has one of the biggest obesity problems in the world..... eggs dont eat them I was told be everyone because of the fat content...now even doctors are saying that is wrong................well instead of me whaffling on I think it comes down to one thing "EVERYTHING IN MODERATION"....I hope that clears the point up

I absolutely agree with you. My post was aimed at the anti-coconut oil poster. I never claimed that *you* said it was a miracle weightloss aid, but some on the internet are touting it as such. I find it hard to believe that there is one single, simple food that will end all our woes, as some (salesmen?) seem to be saying; that's what I mean. I don't believe it's harmful, it may well be beneficial, and if does help, great. Which is why I would love for you to report back on your progress!

I'm semi-sold on the high fat diet. I am very suspicious of the food pyramid (or "Eatwell Plate" as we have in the UK), but having been vegetarian, briefly vegan (and B12 deficient), and now a tentative omnivore again, I am just that little bit reluctant to believe ANYTHING said about nutrition, mainstream/government-approved or not. The more I test out ways of eating, the more I think that moderation is the key. Cut the crap- processed, refined, sugary- base your diet on meat, veg, nuts and seeds and moderate/low amounts legumes and grains. Coconut oil is for sure a safe part of that. Anyway, I'm just rambling my own dumb opinions now.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I have read mixed reviews about the coconut! I have just started coconut milk and coconut water. Hope it helps me lose and the reviews saying it makes you gain are the wrong ones! I haven't tried coconut oil yet, but with the eggs...sounds good. Might have to pick some up. Thanks for the idea!

Like I said....I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the coconut! : )