What to do when you have nothing to wear?

Options
so none of my clothes fit...and its so frustrating...

they are either too big or too small...

any ideas on what to do while in between sizes and how to extend the life of clothes that make you look like you didnt just loose 50lbs?

do i just suck it up and know that in a few months ill be able to buy a whole new wardrobe?

it sure doesnt help my self esteem and self image right now...!

Replies

• YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill or Salvation Army right now for the most part. I agree, there's no sense in spending lots of money if you're in the middle of your journey but at the same time you don't want to look frumpy. I've had alot of success with the second-hand stores.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the truth! I hate to invest in clothes that fit, but belts aren't doing it anymore.

I've safety pinned my skirts and that's going okay but my dresses, ugh......... even my favorites are looking like sacks.

Good luck with your wardrobe.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    pick up some cheap stuff at thrift stores?
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hit the clearance racks!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have just been sucking it up lol I used to be overly cautious about not drying my shirts, so they wouldn't shrink. I now dry EVERYTHING trying to make it shrink some. I also invested in a belt, roll a lot of my pants down at the waist, or look in 2nd hand stores to save money on what I do purchase.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of pairs of jeans on ebay after I lost 35 lbs. My clothes were falling off of me, but I still have 24 lbs to go, and didn't want to invest a lot of money. Also, remember that this is a quality problem! Congrats on your weight loss.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My suggestions are either hit up the thrift store or google ways to alter your bigger clothing (because we all know you're never going back there!).

I've seen really cute things done with tops to make them less baggy; they'll either take them in on the sides or on the back to make it look really cute and really fit your body. I haven't tried it yet, but some of the tutorials make it look easy enough.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Find a dressmaker and get the big ones taken in?, It shouldn't cost too much. :smile:
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Do a combination. Buy 1 or 2 foundation pieces new, that fit well. Then get the rest from thrift. I found it helps with the esteem to have at least one nice thing that fits!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Become a nudist!
  • negative187
    Options
    Ebay, kept me in clothes that fitted without draining my bank account.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Goodwill FTW!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Become a nudist!

I was gonna say 'go native'.
  • sarkris
    Options
    I say just buy 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants that fit. Do you have any friends that sew? Perhaps they could "take in" a couple pieces for you. It's important to have at least a couple things you feel presentable in. You've worked hard! It would be a shame to feel bad about your appearance after all this work! Congrats on your success :)
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill or Salvation Army right now for the most part. I agree, there's no sense in spending lots of money if you're in the middle of your journey but at the same time you don't want to look frumpy. I've had alot of success with the second-hand stores.

This is what I do. But then again have been doing it a long time. With 5 kids, I have to stretch every dollar. It takes time, but we all wear nice name brand clothes.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I say take them in. Dart the shirts. Hem them up.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I always have clown shoes and tutus
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I buy new clothes. I wanna look good NOW. But I'm also not on a tight budget.
  • reenyt
    Options
    I used thrift stores, clearance racks, outlets, and hand-me-downs from my kids.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well, my mother sews things for a living. If I REALLY like a piece of clothing I will beg her to take it in a bit or otherwise alter it to fit nicer. But for the most part I peruse Op shops and the internet for cheap jeans and tops. Also, scope out great sales and vouchers off the internet.