Zumba

Options
I am going to my first Zumba class tonight and was wondering what it is and everyones thoughts about it.

Thanks for the imput!

Replies

• Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I am going to my first Zumba class tonight and was wondering what it is and everyones thoughts about it.

Thanks for the imput!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I've heard of it but don't know what it is???:embarassed:
  • abillings9
    Options
    I haven't done any classes but I have the videos and I like them. I've heard the classes are better, more unique choreography. Have fun! :smile:
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've done some research on Zumba. It's like a high energy latin/salsa workout. I'd love to go to a class but none in my area.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to try, but sadly our Y does not offer many classes (of any kind) for people who both work and have kids :(. (Early morn classes have no child care and late night has no classes.)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Have fun with it Jenn! Let me know what you think about it.

I haven't joined any group classes yet - just working exercise in when it fits in to my schedule not sure about having something so structured.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I took my first class two days ago and I really liked it! I think once I Iearn all the moves (they are kind of fast) I will like it much better!! Our gym offers it twice a week in the evenings, so tomorrow I will tackle it again, but I think you should give it a try! It's not as bad as I thought it would be:wink: Good luck and let us know what you think of it!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Well tonight I did 30mins of Zumba and well it was alright not my thing. I was all over the place, granted tonight was my first time but I only have a week pass to the gym so won't be going to that class again.
  • cjbranson
    cjbranson Posts: 121
    Options
    I did Zumba for almost a year and I love, love, loved it!!! I got really nice results from doing that twice a week and doing my elliptical. I'm doing P90X right now so I'll go back to Zumba later.

Don't get discouraged if you felt like you were all over the place. After a few times of going, you'll "get it" and you won't even have to think about it. I love latin/salsa dancing so this class was right up my alley but the workout you get is awesome. My big tip for zumba is to to really get your hips moving and tighten your abs. It works!

Have fun with Zumba... it's a great work out and gets addicting!

~Christina
    christinabranson.blogspot.com
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    i loved Zumba! I looked stupid doing it, but it was so fun.
  • zumbajax
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor and have been for 2 years now. I've lost about 35 lbs since I started doing/teaching it! It is SO MUCH FUN!!! An hour will fly by and I typically burn 600-700 calories according to my HRM. If you're going to try it commit to at least 3-5 classes before you give up. All the dances are choreographed - so the more you go the easier it gets and the more effort you can put into it. Once you've gone 3-5 times you should have most of the basic moves and it really does become fun! - That's the "advice" I give every new student that comes to my classes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA is sooooo much fun. I have a set of home DVDs and one of them teaches the basic steps - which in themselves are a good starting workout. I just love the music and dancing in general. I kinda miss the days of dancing in the bars maybe! Don't worry about how you look - everyone is watching themselves anyway (and trying to keep moving) - and we all had to start somewhere. It is great for toning and sculpting, and good aerobic fun (like laugh-out-loud fun) class. And the only thing I have really enjoyed in a long time. :glasses:
  • missida
    missida Posts: 21
    Options
    Looks fun I hope to take a class when I can find the time with the small kids I have.