Vitamins...should I take them?

Options
Ok, I feel like I am eating really good and I feel like I am eating a good balance of food. Do any of you take a multi-vitamin and if you do what do you take. I am not sure I need one but I am curious.

Replies

• yikes
    yikes Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok, I feel like I am eating really good and I feel like I am eating a good balance of food. Do any of you take a multi-vitamin and if you do what do you take. I am not sure I need one but I am curious.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I take One-a-Day for women. I'm not really sure that I need one either, but I know that I need iron, and I rarely eat red meat or packaged cereal anymore, so a vitamin is an efficient way for me to get it.

Oh! And I also take calcium citrate. Not every day, because I get a lot of calcium from yogurt ... But if I'm out of yogurt, I'll definitely take my calcium.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I take a women's one a day multi vitamin. I take it mostly for the iron and calcium. I eat well but at the number of calories I consume in a day it's just not possible for me to get all of the vitamins and minerals through diet alone. Monitor your intakes through your log and if you're consistenly short on anything consider a supplement.
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic, I've been wondering myself!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you eat a balanced diet and you know you're getting most of your daily needs in, then no. You don't need it.

I wasn't sure myself, so I went and had my blood drawn and tested a few months ago and I'm not lacking in any area where a vitamin would need to cover. I'm actually over in some and the Dr told me to stop taking a suppliment if I was already. I wasn't. Eat a variety of foods/colors and you should be set.
  • yikes
    yikes Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok, it sounds like while I am in my losing weight time I do need to supliment but once I hit my goal weight and I am maintaining I will probably eat more calories and in a sense not need to supliment with a vitamin. That makes sense.

I am rarely sick but with the weather like it has been I want to make sure I am keeping myself as healthy as possible so that I don't get sick.

Thanks!!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I forgot to take one daily but everytime I remember I take one. Your body will get rid of what it doesn't need - I don't think a normal vitamin will ever harm you!

I take Centrum. Took it the whole time I was in chemo when bloodcounts can get really low and you can get REALLY sick, and mine never did get low - I contribute part of that to taking my vitamin religiously during it.
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    :flowerforyou: vitamins r very important i think i take omega3-6-9 ,selenium,vit. c, B-12,vit.E, calcium, siberian ginsing, chromium.and thats it yes i know it seems like a lot but i believe it does great things for u ..............:blushing:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I think it is important. Like ChrissyH said (amazing story by the way) your body will get rid of what it doesn't need. The multi-vitamin has things in it that would be hard to get from everyday eating.

I would be careful about what vitamins you get though. I have heard things about centrum vitamins being hard for your body to digest and one person had to have surgery because they were sitting in their stomach and not digesting. I would pay the extra money and get them from GNC or some place like that.

They can also help keep your appetite in check. The Omega's are really good too for your good cholesterol and for your heart!