going organic

Options
I recently watched the movie food Inc., because of this movie I decided I want to start a healthier lifestyle starting with the foods that I put in my diet by going organic, so I won't have awful toxins in my body. Any suggestions on how the transition from processed to organic will go?? My body has known processed for so long that I think it will take a while before my body stops craving the junk. Any recipes out there, suggestions, advice??? Thanks :-)

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Food Matters did this for me.. If you haven't watched it, I recommend it. I'll have to watch Food Inc.

I am slowly trying to make a transition, but until I get my life on track in the next few months (excuses, I know), I am not able to afford to do so yet.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Organic food tastes soooo much better than processed junk. no troubles there! :D
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Just because it's organic doesn't mean it isn't "junk." Organic is just one way of growing and regulating food. So, I hope you don't confuse organic with healthy. You can still get calorie dense foods non-nutritive foods that are organic. (Like organic style goldfish type crackers, or potato chips, or cookies...or cake.)

Anyway, I go to my farmers' markets in the area. There are various USDA certified organic farms and other farmers who are very skilled at quality minimally sprayed produce (like the Amish). It's pretty easy actually. Organic food is pretty much just like regular food, with more regulation on labeling and farming. Cooking is still the same.

Just make sure you do some additional reading on organic produce, the pros and cons. Some of the beliefs about organic aren't always quite right. :)

Enjoy your new foods!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Organic food tastes soooo much better than processed junk. no troubles there! :D

Only if it's the fresh picked things! Man, I can tell the difference between the junk at the store and the fresh stuff from local farmers or my garden. It's crazy how amazing fresh natural foods are!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I watched Food, Inc and had the same reaction. It has been a relatively slow transition into mostly organic and whole foods (over the last 2 months), but over the last couple of weeks we have made the transition pretty completely. We didn't eat a lot of processed food before, but lots more than we do now. Our transition went just fine. Be prepared for some increasing "intestinal issues" as your body adjusts, and be ready for some cravings. The cravings will not last long.

I have recently tried Quinoa and there are some really great recipes using this vegetable posing as a grain...its a complete protein and very easy to prepare.

Try some new things. You will be glad you did.
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Food Inc did the same thing for me. I'm eating much healthier now. For anyone interested in watching it, its available on netflix atm.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I watched that movie also a while ago and I have not bought regular meat at the supermarket since! Farmers markets are the best but for convenience and cost I go to whole foods a lot. (I do not have a large budget either although I spend a good amount on food but I don;t eat out much)

Do you have a whole foods near you? I shop the sales there each week and buy whatever meat and veggies they have on special. It is often not all that much more then the regular grocery store price.
    Stay away from processed organic foods because that is what is expensive. Just buy wholesome whole foods like chicken, veggies and organic milk. I am really shocked at how different it tastes.

One of my favorites is to by fresh chicken and just simply roast it in the oven with evoo and salt and pepper, served with greens or broccoli! So good!

Oh and for my kids I will only give them organic strawberries. Since they are so expensive I started buying them frozen and they love them that way. Blueberries too. I buy froz organic veggies too. They are surprisingly really good from whole foods.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We're watching Food Inc right now. Wow, very interesting so far. We try to buy organic foods, knowing that in most cases they are better for us, but I honestly don't notice much of a flavour difference.
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    can I rent the food Inc. movie?
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You should!!!:-)