Heart rate monitors Please explain........

Options
I have heard a lot talk about using their heart rate to calculate their actual calories burned. Can someone explain how I do that and what type of monitor to use.

Replies

• ldsupergirl
    Options
    I have heard a lot talk about using their heart rate to calculate their actual calories burned. Can someone explain how I do that and what type of monitor to use.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and really like it. Easy to use and wear.

I hit "start" it calculates my calories burned, but before I LOG it in MFP, I subtract my rest calories, so I get a more accurate rate.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I just recently purchased a heart rate monitor as well. It is a Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor with Chest Strap. It when I start my workout, I hit start and it tracks my heart rate and one of the outputs is calories burned along with max and min heart rates, and some other good info. I am not sure how it calculates the calories from the heart rate. You could probably google that and find the answer. It also links up with treadmills and other equipment and the treadmill can display your heart rate as well.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F4 (love it) easy to wear- I throw it on press start at the beginning of my workout and when my workout it over I press stop it tells me how long i worked out how many calories I burned and and how long I stayed in my target heart rate zone- It tells you when you aren't in your zone and also tells you when you are working too hard- The key to weightloss with working out is being in your zone-

It takes all the guess work out of it- Because not everyone is the same and when you enter in exercise on websites the calories burned aren't correct most of the time they are waaaaay off saying you burned more than what you really did or they are wrong in saying you burned less than you did- I also like mine cause it gives me summaries of total calories burned and total time worked out.

The F4 is the cheaper of the Polars