very down on myself

Options
hello all, hope to gain some support.. weigh 205 lbs and short 5'1. Can not seem to get it together... this looks like a great site. toured a gym and am motivated but sad i am at this weight (although never really had a thin day ) doc on me to lose diabetes and high blood pressure in the family... not diabetic yet but feel i am on my way. can not seem to control myself. I would love any tips,,,

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good Luck.
    Being here is a good part of getting yourself together, so buck up.
    You can keep track of what you do and compare it to what others like you are doing.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    This is a awesome site and once you make friends to support you on here then it makes it even better. If you stick to a plan and do some sort of exercise you should be able to lose weight with this site to get to a healthy point!!! Best wishs
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    The only way not to be down on yourself is make a change. Start small. I would say change your diet first when you get comfortabie with the eating plan then increase your activity. 90% of weight loss is controlling what goes into your mouth. I have seen many people lose weight simply by changing what they eat. Good Luck. It is a very tough journey to follow, but you are so worth it.
  • TogetherIcan
    Options
    Hi -- I have only joined this site today, also looking for support as have a lot to loose -, seems a good place to get support, getting my phone sorted so can keep track better. good luck with your jorney I will be here a long time so maybe we can keep in touch and support each other x :happy:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    buck up. the change is inside you already. just do something about it. i personally don't like gyms. i'd rather work out outside, no matter what. i'm sure you have a bike or one you can borrow. get it tuned up, buy a helmet, fill up your water bottle and get out there! as opposed to running, you can cover more distance, go for longer, and with far less stress on your joints. good luck, and i leave you with the words that inspire me every day.

tumblr_l81df09lMV1qbpb2qo1_500.png
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Good morning and welcome!

First things first, pa yourself on the back for taking the first step and introducing yourself and taking the first step to a better health...

When I first joined I browsed all the messages I was curious about and they all inspired me in some positive way :)

Set yourself some measurable goals (realistic ones), take it one meal/snack at a time and Journal, Journal, Journal!

Good luck :)

E
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. I am pretty much in the same boat as you although I need to lose a few more pounds than you - 100 lbs to lose here. Feel free to add me as friend if you want. The more friends you have on here, the more help and encouragement you will get. If you don't know how to add friends - click on my user name and it will take you to my profile page and there is a button to click and "add friend". Whatever you decide, good luck on your weight loss journey. This is the first plan I've found that I felt like sticking with. Logging your food and exercise really helps.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Don't be down on yourself...be proud you have made the first step to getting healthy!! There are many wonderful people on here that can help you. Change your thinking to "I am doing this!!" and be proud that you are. There will be some bumps in the road but keep on going and you will succeed!! Good Luck on your journey. You are welcome to add me as friend if you want.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the most fantastic group of people I have met, they will support you every step of the way. I found leaving your food and exericse diary open to all helps as you can get pointers in the right direction. Try Charger440's daily challenges as well, they are awesome. You don't need to do them all or the reps he posts but it helps with the motivation. Have sent a friend request to you. :wink:
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    Start by logging in everything you eat... everything. You have to be honest with yourself so that you can see the number of calories that you are consuming. Once you see what you're eating, you can figure out what to begin cutting down on. When you're ready to exercise, I would suggest just start by walking unless you already have an exercise plan in mind. Don't be concerned with a marathon. Keep track of the amount of time you walk and log it in as your exercise. I've been here since May and I'm liking it a lot! If you want to add me, feel free. I'm here to help. ~Cheryl
  • katapum
    katapum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I feel like that some times too...
    is part of the process.
    hugs for you ♥
  • louisebear
    Options
    HELLO, Welcome to OUR WORLD hahaha!!! My Fitness Pal is the best step foward......everyday try ur best to eat health and try a bit of exercise even if its just cleaning the house......u will be amazed how many calories u can burn just cleaning !!!! I have many good weeks and many bad weeks BUT i just take it day by day....if I over eat one day....then i try my best the next, REMEMBER to measure yourself, waist / hips because ive found that Ive lost More CM than WEIGHT :o) GOOD LUCK :O)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    you're in the right place..this site can provide amazing motivation if you want it to! Welcome, and good luck!
  • Tracyrocksss
    Options
    Hey, girl..You are in the right place....My advice is to do what I am many people who have a big weight loss ahead are doing when they first start out for change. I am ONLY watchign what I put in my mouth. I am not beating myself up for not "going to the gym" or even doing any substantial exercise YET...........I am doing one thing at a time because that is what has kept me from feeling overwhelmed as I make the changes I need to make. I think it has helped me IMMENSELY to just concentrate on food for now---documenting everything, planning, making good choices...My goal is to start walking ( more than just at work/shopping/flea markets?etc.) at my two week mark..... It seems that I will be more ready/successful/otivated to add exercise once I can trust myself to do the right thing with my calorie intake...And It has been 8 days and I am almost there!!! You can do it! Just don't let yourself feel like you aren't making progress if you aren't exercising like crazy at first. It WILLL make a BIG diff in how fast the weight comes off once you get there, but for starters, I think , when you have a lot to lose, there isn't a thing wrong with getting your head straight and your food under control first, then adding exercise once you have managed that....:) xoxoox
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Start by cleaning all the junk out of your kitchen--if it's not there you can't auto-snack on it--and you have to want it bad enough to go to the store. Replace the junk with some healthier snacks and fruits and vegetables. Start track your foods here--it'll really help you understand what foods are helping you and which ones are hurting you. With high blood pressure set the tracker to watch your sodium intake. It really will get easier over time. Careful not to set your daily caloric intake too low, esp. if you start exercising, feeling hungry all the time is not the best way to stay on the wagon. :) Besides, you need protein to build muscles, some carbs to fuel your body, a little fat to help you feel satisfied and fiber to make you feel full longer and regulate digestion. :) You know you can do this!! We set plenty of other goals in life and manage to achieve them, when it comes to weight, we see to resign ourselves to it, but why? We manage to pull off all the other stuff we do all day? Call a plumber, get up when the alarm goes off, catch the bus, complete that project at work, schedule an appointment, make a job interview--these are all daily goals we can manage. Why not throw in--learn to separate food from my emotions (I definitely am learning this one), get up early and have a healthy breakfast, buy a pedometer, walk more, take the stairs, park further away at the store. All small goals that help with one big goal.

You can do this! Kick all that excess weight to the curb, one pound at a time!
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi , Your in the right place! This is a great site, lots of support and filling in ur diary on a daily basis helps a ton!! I also had a weight problem the majority of my adult life after having children! I was on every diet known to mankind, I even went the gastric bypass route! this is by far the best to me, cuz now I know exactly what goes in my mouth...i never understood the reasoning behind writing everything down that goes in ur mouth, but now it finally clicked! Im on this plan 41 days and lost 11 lbs so far, and I dont feel like I'm even on a diet plan! I too have lost my mom, dad and sister to complications of diabetes..I'm 56 yrs old, I didnt get it yet and I'm hoping it missed me..I am choosing to win this battle this time once and for all..I am not letting the taste of food take over my power any longer!..I'm in it to win it this time and this site makes it really really easy to do so!!! All it takes is a little discipline and the rest is a piece of low fat low sugar low calorie cake!!!! Best wishes to you in your journey to the other side!!! Geri
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    As others have said, you took the best first step you possibly could have... joining this community! The folks here are friendly, supportive and have all sorts of information to help you along your journey! The diary where you log your food and exercise is the centerpiece here...it REALLY helps! I've made it a point that no matter what it is...good, bad and sometimes downright ugly... if it goes in my mouth, it goes on the page! I even record 0 calorie stuff like Mrs. Dash and dietary supplements... not so much as a Tic-Tac gets past my journal! :)

Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm only too happy to be part of your support as you establish your new lifestyle! Best of luck! :happy:
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, you have definately come to the right place! I started just a couple of weeks ago and I am so happy that I did. I have found I have become excited about getting fit and healthy...there is so much support from these people! :flowerforyou:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We can't change the past. Be proud of yourself today. When you make a mistake (I know I see mistakes I made on my food diary all the time) own up to it and be proud of yourself for recognizing your mistake and resolve to work on not making it again. Forgive yourself. (I always had a hard time forgiving myself when I messed up, and I think this did me in worse than anything.)
    There is a whole community here ready to give you a pat on the back when you need it, and a gentle nudge when you need that, too. :wink: