Can exercise cause weight gain?

Options
A week ago, I weighed 189 lbs. This morning, I weighed 189.6 lbs. I have started couch to 5k (I'm on week 2), and I've noticed my legs slimming down quite a lot (my thighs went from 29" to 26" in less than two weeks!) and I went horseback riding yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. Is it possible this is just a muscle gain?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a deficit, it is quite unlikely to be new muscle; it's very likely water. This is very normal when starting a workout routine. Sounds like you're on exactly the right track! The lost inches are a far better measure of progress than scale weight.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    doubt it. Its only one week.
    its only .6 pounds. It could be water, cloths.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not muscle, it's water and glycogen retention.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is just random weight variationn/fluctuation. You will see many posts on here with the same topic: how can I have gained XX weight in YY amount of time when I've been doing ZZ.

If you are being honest in your logging of food and exercise and know that you haven't eaten the amount of calories in that period of time that you would have to consume in order to GAIN weight don't pay any attention to the gain. My weight varies several pounds in the course of the day. I don't record all of those variations even if it's my "official" weigh in day.

Look at the inches you're losing as clear evidence that you are achieving some significant positive changes and stop at that.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a deficit, it is quite unlikely to be new muscle; it's very likely water. This is very normal when starting a workout routine. Sounds like you're on exactly the right track! The lost inches are a far better measure of progress than scale weight.

I agree!!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

It takes long before you gain a pound of muscle & 2 weeks is definitely too short to even gain a 1/2 pound of muscle. I agree that it must be water weight. If you start a new exercise, your muscles tend to sore & therefore makes your body to retain some water. Another reason might be you are eating foods high in sodium
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle but...your muscles are storing more water and glycogen so you'll have ready fuel for the next workout. If you haven't trained muscles you've got to rebuild a lot of muscle fibers. The fibers help you be faster/stronger depending on the type (fast/slow). It's after that happens that you'll start to see muscle gain IF the load you are putting on the muscles demands it.

At least that's my understanding. For those who know...if I'm wrong in this please correct me.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It could be the time of the day you weigh in, I will fluctuate throughout the week by up to a couple pounds, but I only record once a week usually weighing in on same day around the same time, give or take an hour. Don't get frustrated, especially starting out. Your body is going through a lot of good changes. I know when I weigh in after a run, I can be down 4-5 lbs, but I usually gain some of it the next morning. You should never weigh yourself after a workout that involves weights or strength training because your muscles are usually retaining water. I have never ridden a horse before, but I would assume you probably use a lot of leg muscles, which is why your legs are getting toner. Keep at it, Don't let up. Consistency is key.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    It could be the time of the day you weigh in, I will fluctuate throughout the week by up to a couple pounds, but I only record once a week usually weighing in on same day around the same time, give or take an hour. Don't get frustrated, especially starting out. Your body is going through a lot of good changes. I know when I weigh in after a run, I can be down 4-5 lbs, but I usually gain some of it the next morning. You should never weigh yourself after a workout that involves weights or strength training because your muscles are usually retaining water. I have never ridden a horse before, but I would assume you probably use a lot of leg muscles, which is why your legs are getting toner. Keep at it, Don't let up. Consistency is key.

I always weigh myself Saturday mornings before I eat.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    How can I tell when I have gained muscle? Is there a way? LOL I'm new to this.
  • NotGoddess
    Options
    Start measuring your body fat. If you can, get a scale that measures it. They aren't spot-on accurate depending on your body shape, but they'll give you a starting point. Then you can watch how that progresses.

I'd say do not worry about how much muscle you are gaining at this point. You are trying to lose weight (read: body fat) so you are in a caloric deficit. It's very hard to gain muscle AND lose fat. What you should focus on is getting enough protein and doing weight-bearing exercise to train and maintain the muscle you have and lose fat. Then you'll see that body fat % number go down as you lose weight. After you get to a good body fat % THEN you can concentrate on trying to build muscle.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    if you are eating at a deficite, you are not gaining muscle.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Start measuring your body fat. If you can, get a scale that measures it. They aren't spot-on accurate depending on your body shape, but they'll give you a starting point. Then you can watch how that progresses.

I'd say do not worry about how much muscle you are gaining at this point. You are trying to lose weight (read: body fat) so you are in a caloric deficit. It's very hard to gain muscle AND lose fat. What you should focus on is getting enough protein and doing weight-bearing exercise to train and maintain the muscle you have and lose fat. Then you'll see that body fat % number go down as you lose weight. After you get to a good body fat % THEN you can concentrate on trying to build muscle.

Good news is I do have a body fat measuring scale. Bad news is I need to cut back on deli meat.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Boy, do I feel infuriatingly stupid now.
  • NotGoddess
    Options
    HEY! None of that!!
    You asked questions because you are wondering and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Sorry for the yelling but I don't like when people beat themselves up for no good cause.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    HEY! None of that!!
    You asked questions because you are wondering and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Sorry for the yelling but I don't like when people beat themselves up for no good cause.

It's fine, I needed the yelling haha.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Don't say that!!!! :)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

No! Don't feel dumb. You're new at this and there's probably more misinformation in the world on weight loss than not.be patient. And search through the forums. There's a guy who used to be here called taso that I learned a great deal from. Some folk's signatures have links to his threads follow them. There are also permanent threads towards the top in forums. Read those. And someone compiled a list of links in mfp you want to read over and over.

Lastly stroutman is a smart guy that is a professional. He accepts friend requests and then its easy to find his blog posts. He's worth reading.