Considering Forgetting About The Scale...

Options
Honestly, I got so bogged down last week because the scale hadn't moved that I forgot about why I came here in the first place... to be healthier. Because I was so depressed about the numbers I just didn't go to the gym, found comfort in food, the usual unhealthy habits that we all tend to slip into occasionally. So I'm trying a new tactic: forget the stupid scale. Last year I lost 20+ lbs without ever even weighing myself. I was so shocked that when I saw the number at the doctors office, I made them move me to a different scale because I thought it must have been wrong. So instead of worrying about the number on the scale I'm going to worry about how I feel, how my clothes fit, and keeping healthy and active. I resolved to weigh myself once every two weeks, or maybe even just once a month just to cure my curiosity. Not sure what just yet. Has anyone else found this tactic to be useful?

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    yes. i don't rely too much on the scale any longer. a few reasons: i do a lot more strength inducing workouts (vinyasa yoga and strength training) now -- which i didn't used to. i know i have more muscle and less fat than the previous years of just 'dieting' and doing cardio to lose weight. also because my focus for the rest of my life is to be healthy -- body + MIND. i used to let the scale numbers control my mood. no longer....not worth it. it's not a very accurate indication of one's overall body composition. it sounds like you are looking at this in a healthy/smart way -- kudos!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    How funny ... I just wrote a long blog article about the scale and then I lost everything while trying to modify it so I have to redo it.

I understand how you feel but I think the scale is important to check on occasion so don't give up.

Once a week in the morning is the best time to weigh yourself after you have gone to the bathroom. Make sure that you weight yourself in your bare feet and your underwear as you do at the doctor's office for the best result.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Some days I'd LOVE to forget about the scale
    but that's my only way to currently see any progress =/
  • mushalek
    Options
    absolutely! when i first started my diet and workout i would never ever look at the scale i would just track my progress on how i feel and how i noticed my body changing. The scale is a superficial way to track weight lost because with exercise your gaining muscle , which weighs more than fat. So my opinion ditch the scale and DONT GIVE UP! let the changes that you notice be your motivation to keep hitting the gym and continue your healthy life style!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i think i need to do the same thing. i worry so much about the number not moving on the scale it frusterates the hell out of me. we can do this! :) i might give my scale away for a while. then the temptation is gone lol
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Scale-what scale? I don't even have one! I get weighed at the doctors office.
  • RPLemley
    Options
    Instead of monitoring the scale you could just watch your body. I would get a measuring tape then. Gotta have a quantitative way to track progress.

However when it comes to montoring the scale - checking every every two+ weeks may be better for you. You can't go by daily weigh-ins. My weight can vary by as much as five pounds day to day - especially if i had a cheat day. And your body does funny things too when trying to lose weight. It's not unusual for me to stay at the same exact weight ( to the 2/10's of a pound ) for a week or two then the next day drop a pound on the scale.

I starting to get annoyed with weighing the same exact thing. I would think my scale was broke. I have 3 different scales at home. I have since learned that you have to be patient and I just use one scale now. You just watch progress over the long term. It's a marathon, not a sprint. :)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do the same. Since I started trenght training, my best way to mesure how I am doing, I use the mesuring tape.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
  • simplyychaos
    Options

Thanks for sharing this!
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I spent months weighing myself 4-5 times a day. That stupid number had the power to make me ecstatic or miserable, even if only showed a difference of half a pound. I moved and don't have a scale anymore, so if I do want to weigh myself I have to go the gym, and even then if other people are in the changeroom I am too embarrassed to step on. So I'm three weeks clean, and it really is liberating. I'm curious, but not obsessed, at least.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Good for you!! The scale is just a number. The fit of your clothes will give you an idea and measure yourself of occasion. Thumb up totally!