If it tastes awesome..it's prob not healthy!

Options
2»

Replies

• KijuanaC
    KijuanaC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Foodluver, it's all about moderation. It's good to hear that you don't plan on completely omitting anyhing from your diet. I either find a healthier alternative than what I frequently seek, candy, chocolate, cake or I use a small piece of it as my reward for a very successful week. Because I've added exercise to my regimen, it does provide me with the ability to have a few more calories than just changing my eating habits alone.

I love to cook and i grew up with southern-style cooking. Lots of fat, lots of flavor. I still cook, but I choose healthier options most of the time. Even when I don't, I realize that it's just one day. With pizza, I either make my own or I get a thin crust with lots of veggies and chicken and light cheese.

Your body will crave carbs if you're not getting enough...guess what my favorite carb is....french fries.

I will be more than happy to join you in your journey to a healthier you.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    For the most part, I cut them out completely.

If you have any sorta cooking ability, you can start making healthier versions of fastfood/junkfood type dishes.

Start gettin creative, use fresh ingredients, reasonable portion sizes and you'll get the flavors you want, with half the caloric impact.

A good book with such recipes is 'cook this, not that'..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS4p5hetmx_iWeqPQ1zGMZ-Xwni0iDNtFnayn7D3fTM2p-MlmgJw

It's basically a collection of popular restaurant dishes that are pretty bad for ya, but taste good....and how to make alternatives.

Sweets and desserts take a little more effort, but from my experiences you're best bet is pick up a diabetic dessert book. It focuses on fruits, sugar free toppings and fairly healthy ideas.

If you 'cut it out' now..you're bound to go back to it. Just make the change now, get rid of it forever or only on special occasions.

And don't be afraid to get a little naughty.

Could I ask if this book has cheap recipes? What I mean is, I'm in college and have cooking ability but not enough storage space to keep a lot of ingredients or a lot of cooking tools. Do you need a lot of special equipment of expensive ingredients for the items in here?

I don't know how many times I've seen a "cheap, easy recipe" that demanded the use of a dozen fresh herbs or something that I can't afford and don't have room for anyway.
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    @ astroub-eat this and not that gives great ideas. We need change for the better.

I prefer homemade whole wheat thin crust and make my own pizza. It is really awesome to have something sorta close to homemade. It is good to make your own because you can add new stuff. Do the bell peppers need sautee'd?

I have spurged with take out pizza, but I had to really limit myself to one piece. A bigger slice than normal. I maintained very well!!

5'4"
    S.W. 234 (Sept. 5, 2011)
    Prior weight 227.4 (Sept. 12, 2011)
    Previous weight 228.9 (Sept. 19, 2011)
    C.W. 227.4 (Sept. 26, 2011)
    G.W. 125
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that since I started counting calories I have gotten VERY picky about my treats. I used to be a teacher and I would just eat any old sweets that popped up in the teacher's lounge, and it showed. Now I think, "I want something sweet but it's going to be a large chunk of calories, so I had better make it good!" and I get something I REALLY like. I end up happy and satisfied, and most of the junk food gets cut out because "man those sugar cookies from walmart are just not worth the calories" lol As for how often-- maybe once every couple of weeks?
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I really eat whatever suits my fancy :) I just stay in my calories for the day. If a cupcake is what I want then I work around it so I can have it. That being said, I do try to meet all of my needs, protein, carbs, vitamins everyday too.

Yup me too! :)