Working out while ill?

Options
I haven't been feeling well the last few days, but I really don't want to skimp on my workout.. actually it's the only thing I actually WANT to do right now. But, I really don't know if it's one of those good things, or bad things while you're ill. Does anyone know? I also don't want to pass it on to others, but I do sanitize my machine when I leave it. Any thoughts? I don't want to spend my day lazing around :(.

Replies

• miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    go for a quick walk outside..but don't work out harder than that because you've gotta let your body get better! just eat some healthy sick-food!
  • TheDudette
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say that it's good to help sweat it out. If you're running a fever or can't breath properly though, I would lay low for a while. I hope you feel better soon.
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd take it easy, and maybe just focus on getting enough water, and eating clean. Give your body what it wants and needs. If you feel up to it, maybe take a walk, but I wouldn't push it. The quicker you get better, the quicker you'll be back to working out at 100%.

Feel better! :)
  • Ekmw
    Ekmw Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm sick as well. I'm not sure if I'm getting the flu or not. I don't have money to go to a gym, so all I do is home work outs.
    I honestly don't want to do anything. My stomach is cramping, I feel extremely cold, and I feel nauseous.

I don't suggest going to the gym. I suggest staying home, and doing light exercising, and stopping when you're in pain or dizzy.

Hope you get better soon!
  • LUCYRENEE
    LUCYRENEE Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by 'feeling ill'. If you are running a fever, don't work out, take care of yourself. It is not good to tire/deplete your body's infection fighting ablitiy. If you have a cold or just feel out of sorts then tone down the workout, but still get some exercise. I agree with the previous posters that plenty of water, and good food are important.. Chix soup ( home made if you have someone who is a good cook ) is a great cure-all.
  • GypsyWildflower
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not dizzy or anything, just a very sore throat with cough, and .. well I don't understand the deal with my nose. I can't breathe through it.. but there's nothing up there :/... Honestly I feel like a fish out of water.. dried out everywhere.

I think I'll take the suggestion of a short walk. The lots of water isn't an issue as I already feel so dry - I can't stop refilling my glass! Thanks again ladies, and Ekmw - I hope you get better soon also!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm one to push through...I'd have to be feeling REALLY REALLY bad, not to at least do a treamill workout. That is just me! Hope you feel better!
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    If you're throwing up I'd skip it cuz you can dehydrate easily. If you're just generally not feeling well such as a little cold, headache, etc. I'd go ahead and workout but no longer than 45 mins. It does help to sweat it out and I know personally that I feel better after I workout.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For myself, getting a good workout clears my lungs and sinuses, but at the same time i make sure to eat over my calories so my body can use the fuel.
    Also in a medical stand, it is theorized that goal of you body having a fever while sick is to kill the infection, so increasing your own body temp by exercising could help with that too. also when u exercise you are moving all the lymph fluid around, which carries your major white blood cells....