Yoga

Just wondering if there's any yoga that helps loose weight ?

Replies

• farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    not sure if it helps with weightloss, but it does help with posture and breathing which can make you look and feel slimmer
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    In a way all yoga helps lose weight. Yoga, in it's slowest forms, are movement which burns calories. Some forms help build muscle and muscle helps burn calories. Other forms get your heart rate up, build muscle and have you moving....all burning calories.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    ugh, i need to read thread titles a little better. i thought this was about the jedi master.
  • If you do it for an hour with a rigorous yoga videa in will help you lose wieght. Rodney Yee is the best yoga trainer out there (in my opinion)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    If you do it for an hour with a rigorous yoga videa in will help you lose wieght. Rodney Yee is the best yoga trainer out there (in my opinion)

You may want try this, but I've never burned more than 200 calories doing a yoga class of video, it's work but my heart rate never rises.
  • k2thaj
    k2thaj Posts: 41
    From my own personal opinion, I would try it. I do Yoga every morning for about 30 minutes just using Wii Fit and the balance board. I don't use it for my primary exercise, I see it more as a way to help tone while losing weight. 30 minutes is 109 calories for me and I generally start my days feeling better just because of the Yoga.

Just to enlighten, I am 5'8" and started MFP in the beginning of September and I have lost 15 lbs just by doing 20-30 minutes of Yoga 5-7 days a week, logging my calories and eating healthier foods and LOTS of 3-4 mile walks with my boyfriend almost everyday.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    "They" say it helps your metabolism.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    It completely depends on the type of yoga. I do one hour and forty-five minute Ashtanga vinyasa yoga classes, and no other workout makes me sweat so hard or elevates my heart rate for such a long period of time. Estimates I've read say that an hour of intense Ashtanga yoga can burn ~400 calories, which is quite a good burn.

It also greatly helps with strength, flexibility, and concentration.

Hatha yoga, on the other hand, is great for flexibility and relaxation, but doesn't do much to get your heart rate up and thus won't be as helpful for weight loss.