Cheat meal??

Options
Anyone plan on a cheat meal once a week?
At bodyforlife.com they suggest having a cheat day or cheat meal (Sundays eat whatever you want with in reason).
I decided since 7days straight with out an ounce of "cheat" I would treat myself to a hot dog on whole wheat bun with the works, a large portion of french fries ( fried in olive oil conola oil mixture) and about a 1/2 cup of ice cream and now I am freakin out. (I made this at home no fast food)
I didnt go over my calories much... about 150. I sure didnt work out but I saved up for it, yesterday I had calories left over. You think this is okay???
:ohwell:
It sure was good though! Anyone else do it?

Replies

• amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    At bodyforlife.com they suggest having a cheat day or cheat meal (Sundays eat whatever you want with in reason).
    I decided since 7days straight with out an ounce of "cheat" I would treat myself to a hot dog on whole wheat bun with the works, a large portion of french fries ( fried in olive oil conola oil mixture) and about a 1/2 cup of ice cream and now I am freakin out. (I made this at home no fast food)
    I didnt go over my calories much... about 150. I sure didnt work out but I saved up for it, yesterday I had calories left over. You think this is okay???
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...

I do it once a week.
    I try not to deprive myself.
    A "cheat day" is good for you.
    But don't go over board.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    i did today.. i had mashed potatoes and a T-bone steak... My mom made it.. couldn't resist
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I cheat too. I know there are people who just can't cheat one tiny bit. But for me, I would fall off the wagon hard if I didn't allow myself a slight indulgence once and a while.
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I basically have chocolate every day. Not a lot, but I can't help it!
  • mildrede40
    Options
    I had chicken wings today but they made my stomach hurt and very upset, I haven't had any fried food for 16 days. I guess I will find another cheat meal. Also my workout was terrible. :sad:
  • mandakay
    Options

That sounds so freakin good! And yes I do allow myself a cheat meal....or drinks. No worries. Enjoy it.

Amanda
  • loman13
    loman13 Posts: 52
    Options
    I wouldn't even call it a cheat meal if you don't go over your calories for the day. Also if you know you are going to eat something high in calories work out more and burn more calories so you won't go over. I know it's really tough to eat right and stay fit but it has to become a life style or it will never work. If you look at everyone who has failed and gained the weight back it's because they go back to thier old habits that put them at risk in the first place. Eat something if you want it, just don't eat a gallon or pound of it. Portion control is the real key to weight management.
  • praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    tonight i made my husband and daughter deep fried chicken wings and there were 3 left and i ate them i entered them and i was still under my limit of calories so i was happy and i had a taste. I t was well worth it, I will say though after i ate them i looked at my husband and said that was stupid, and then i realized i am not dead, and those 3 wings are not going to kill me
  • praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    i forgot to add i knew there was a reason i walked 3 miles on the treadmill lol to make room for the chicken wings. lol
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hey I think we should rename that our "reward meal" for being so on target and doing good things for ourselves. Why do we have to think we are "cheating" to have something that we choose to have. As long as we don't make that the habit and the healthy eating the exception, we aren't cheating at all...we're simply enjoying a reward for our hard work.:tongue:
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yeah i agree!
    It really helps me to stay on track throughout the week!

I either have one meal out (at a restaurant) per week, where i will still choose something fairly healthy but gorgeous and will take me over my calories but i will be having a great time with my hisband or friends. OR if i haven't been out, on a saturday night i cook my husband and i a gorgeous chicken curry and pilau rice and huge naan bread!!

Its yummy and a lot better than going to the take away! Sio like you, i have a taste of my favourite foods without having to go for the fast food option!!

I thinks its great, and only over by 150 calories!! Well done!! :flowerforyou:
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yeah i agree!
    It really helps me to stay on track throughout the week!

I either have one meal out (at a restaurant) per week, where i will still choose something fairly healthy but gorgeous and will take me over my calories but i will be having a great time with my hisband or friends. OR if i haven't been out, on a saturday night i cook my husband and i a gorgeous chicken curry and pilau rice and huge naan bread!!

Its yummy and a lot better than going to the take away! Sio like you, i have a taste of my favourite foods without having to go for the fast food option!!

I thinks its great, and only over by 150 calories!! Well done!! :flowerforyou:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Remember that the goal is to live a healthier lifestyle, not to deprive yourself of all things wonderful and tasty! Weight loss and fitness does not have to be about deprivation.....it's a matter of "calories in, calories out". Since I started with My Fitness Pal in Sept., I have lost the 16 lbs I was aiming for. Yes, I altered some meals to healthier, lower calorie choices, but for other meals I practiced portion control (mostly measuring servings sizes or going with a lower calorie option). BUT....I have eaten some chocolate or had an ice cream treat nearly every day [Weight Watchers bars are great!], I have a cocktail when I want it, have ordered pizza or Chinese takeout, and have other treats.

Have a splurge now and then so you don't feel deprived......if you eat the "I wanna have..." instead of forcing your self to eat the "I should have..." once in a while, you will save yourself from eating BOTH when you go back for the "wanna"! <hope that makes sense....> :tongue:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was under my calories and had some Girl Scout Cookies and was still under. Nothing wrong with having a little something "bad" once in a great while. :drinker:
  • girlaskew12
    girlaskew12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 2 cheat meals a week. But on those days, I make sure to eat a little less at the other meals, so I can really enjoy my cheat meal.

For instance, tonight I am going to Texas Roadhouse and getting steak and a baked potato. But, this afternoon for lunch, I'm having chicken soup. And I am working out twice today.

If you allow yourself to cheat once or twice a week, you can look forward to that and are less likely to feel deprived and slip up the rest of the week.

In my mind, food is meant to be enjoyed and can be a beautiful part of life. Eating healthy all the time wouldn't be as fun.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have been eating clean for so long, I don't give much thought to the food I 'can't' have. Every couple of weeks I'll go out to eat, and I count that as my reward meal even though it's clean and I don't go over on calories. Last night I got grilled shrimp with wild rice and veggies and a salad from Outback. It's what I normally eat at home, but the reward is that someone else cooked it so I didn't have to :bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I intentionally go over my calories one day a week. This sometimes involves "cheating" and sometimes involves just eating more, or taking an "unauthorized" off day from exercising.

Sunday is my usual day. I portion control my treats. I used to just "go crazy" one day a week, but found that over time, I don't feel the need for it psychologically and physically it makes me feel awful. (I had one particular incident with chicken salad and potato chips that finished me off).

It's not "cheating" in my book. There are foods I eat only rarely, and foods I eat everyday. No food is completely forbidden. I have to think this way, as I've changed my relationship with food. Otherwise, the "binge, guilt, starve, eat, repeat" cycle rules my life!

:flowerforyou:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I had a big salad from Cheesecake Factory and split a slice of cheesecake with my husband and still lost weight this week!
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I had chicken wings today but they made my stomach hurt and very upset, I haven't had any fried food for 16 days. I guess I will find another cheat meal. Also my workout was terrible. :sad:

I know what you mean...After eating really clean and healthy, the greasy stuff just makes me feel awful. I now realize that I am one of those people that can't cheat ever or else I'll just continue to blow my diet. So now I treat myself with a new pair of jeans or a tee shirt after reaching a big goal.