Question about 5K

I just went to register for the 5K that I have been working toward and looked through some pictures from last year. ACK. Not one single fat person in any of those photos, and now I am feeling self conscious and out of place.

If you have run/walked a 5K...have you seen any overweight people AT ALL? I'm still going to do it, but it would be a little daunting to be the only big chick there. I guess I am just looking for a little support and encouragement. Fear is my biggest obstacle.

Replies

• 5K's a great fun, I'm doing the Great Edinburgh Run 5k tomorrow. I promise you there are people taking part of every shape and size and of every fitness level. You will not be alone in your fears and I promise afterwards you'll feel great and will start planning your next one
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    I have to say...Who cares??? Get your butt at that race and finish even if you gotta crawl!!!! It's not about anyone but you...I'm running my first one on Oct 30th and i've imagined what it will feel like to cross that finish line ..I can't wait. Do it for you.with no worries!! YOU can do it :)
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Good for you! I haven't ran in a 5K, but I know a few people who do and they're not thin. I say don't let the thin people scare you! Be proud of your accomplishment.
  • I have to say...Who cares??? Get your butt at that race and finish even if you gotta crawl!!!! It's not about anyone but you...I'm running my first one on Oct 30th and i've imagined what it will feel like to cross that finish line ..I can't wait. Do it for you.with no worries!! YOU can do it :)
    \

YA!!!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    No, you won't be the only overweight person there....a lot of the photos of the races I've been in capture the 'fast' runners at...and the photos kind of peter off at the back of the pack. don't stress yourself out about that... If this is your first race I can tell you, you will LOVE it. Finishing (even if your the last one!) is a great accomplishment. Keep at it!
  • jlprovost
    jlprovost Posts: 109 Member
    I just ran a 5K this morning actually, and I have to say they are addicting. I have 2 more lined up just for this month. I promise you though there are people of every shape, size, and athletic ability. That's why most 5k's are run/walks, you can go at any pace you want and still feel good cause there are people all around you. Take your time and just enjoy it, plus there are usually t-shirts involved which is half the reason I love to run them. Good luck!
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Go out there and enjoy yourself! You will see people of all shapes and sizes on race day! The energy you will experience around the other participants is incredible!
  • I'm doing a 5K in November with two friends. We're all overweight but that's the reason we're doing this! It's about being healthy! Good luck and tell us how it went.
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    I have to say...Who cares??? Get your butt at that race and finish even if you gotta crawl!!!! It's not about anyone but you...I'm running my first one on Oct 30th and i've imagined what it will feel like to cross that finish line ..I can't wait. Do it for you.with no worries!! YOU can do it :)

I totally agree!!! It is about you and the fact that you went out there and did it!!! I just competed in my first 5k this morning. I weigh 200 pds and finished in 33:39 which was 113/165!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! And just think of how proud you will be of yourself when you can say you did it!!!
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    I did a 5K two years ago at almost 90 pounds overweight. You can do it! :smile: I'm looking forward to another soon! Plus, I've lost 55 pounds so I hope my time will be much faster!
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    The wonderful thing about runners is that they don't care. They are out there racing against themselves, not anyone else. You'll do great, and be proud!!! You're running a 5K!!! Enjoy it, and prepare to get addicted. One day you'll wake up and realize that all the t-shirts you own are from races!!
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Last weekend I did an 8k and finished it. A huge accomplishment for me. That was a first. I walked and ran it, mostly ran. There are people of all shapes and sizes at these events! Its usually a cause you're support, so go out there, support your cause and have fun getting fit and healthy. I was freaked out by all the thin people too that "looked like runners". I was passing them as the walked on the right side as I continued to run!

This morning I finished a 5k, yes they are addicting. This time I ran the entire race and a lot of it was uphill. My time was under 35 minutes and I'm NO runner. You can do this if you really put for an effort. Walk if you have too. Like someone else said, that's why they are called run/walks.

Enjoy it!
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    I think it's awesome that you are doing this 5K! I have found the thing about runner's is this: No one judges anyone else! In general, the running community is very supportive of each other because we all know that its HARD to run your fastest, no matter what "your" fastest is. Oftentimes at 5ks, the people who are bringing up the rear receive the loudest cheers. Go kick that race in the butt!! : )
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Wow, I couldn't have asked for better support! I am excited again and ready to do this!!!! Thank you...every single one of you. You are amazing!!! :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Let us know how you get on...I've done Couch to 5K but yet to do a proper race (wuss)
  • There are always people of various shapes, sizes, and fitness levels in any race. Particularly ones which are for a good cause (cancer research, diabetes awareness, etc.).

I'm doing two this month; I've got the awkward feeling about it, but you can't improve if you don't get out there and get started.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    good luck on your 5k run...dont worry about what people say...your doing this for you....I completed a 5k walk this morning in just under 40 minutes...not bad since it is the first 5k walk I have done this year...go have fun and enjoy your self...
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    I don't remember the sizes and shapes of anyone who was there - everyone's too busy running!:D