How do you spice up your rice?

Options
I love brown rice, but need a new way to spice it up. Im not a fan of soya sauce (the sodium in it makes it enough to not want it) and butter/margarine, no thanks.

Looking for some new things to try to mix with it!
Thanks

Replies

• New_Hope
    Options
    I literally spice mine up. I love hot sauce, crushed red peppers, or chili powder in my rice. Or if I'm not in the mood for something spicy, I'll just sprinkle some garlic powder in it.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up some spicy turkey sausage and toss that in. Stir fry veggies work too.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You could use chili sauce or if you want a sweet version use some red wine vinegar and a little bit of sugar (or sugar substitute) and a bit of mustard. Sounds gross, I know, but it is SO good. If you throw a handful of dried cranberries in with it and some green onions it is really good. You could always boil your broth in a good strong stock to, for flavor. :)
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    Most of the time, I eat my rice steamed without any butter/salt as a change from my Hispanic family's traditional way of cooking rice in a big pot with a bit of salt and oil and letting a few bits get crunchy on the bottom. (this is all white rice though: It's the first thing I ever started eating so I can't bring myself to switch to brown rice!)

You could always cook your rice with low sodium stock instead of water.
    Mix in some canned beans for rice and beans.
    Add in some mixed veggies or things like frozen broccoli.
    For some reason I love adding dried cherries and letting them plump up in the cooking. You can use raisins or dried cranberries too (it's a lot of calories for dried fruit though)

Hopefully this helps!
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I usually boil mine in salt and peppered water (just a bit on salt) and bake it in an egg or two. Then I can cut off a piece for a quick meal with veggies on the side. Sounds kinda gross now that I type it out.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The Japanese swear by what is called "Furikake". Basically it's spice powder that makes the rice taste like shrimp or fish and other stuff.
    I had a couple of different ones before, though salmon was my favorite. There are quite a few online shops like jlist that sells them. I haven't seen them in stores yet, but then again, German grocery stores are not as big as American ones. You might find it at some of the bigger ones or other Asian food stores.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Frank's Red Hot. I could make it an entire food group.

Or really any tabasco style sauce.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually mix my rice with a beaten egg, cherry tomatoes, cayenne pepper and some coriander or parsley. Beans or any green veg would work well with it too.
    I don't add any butter but sometimes use oil spray to stop the egg sticking to the pan
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Curry powder and golden raisins...
  • FitBritt24
    Options
    I usually mix it with salsa :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I literally spice it up. I add cayenne pepper and habenero hot sauce to the water when I add the rice and the flavor cooks right into the rice.

But I rarely am making rice as just a side to eat on it's own, it's usually to go under a stir fry. And it's one of the very few things I make extra of and then mix with eggs, meat and veggies for lunch or dinner later in the week.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like to cook in chicken stock.

Also, once done add in some skim milk and shred parm cheese! Yum :)
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like to cook in chicken stock.

Also, once done add in some skim milk and shred parm cheese! Yum :)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce! I have a huge selection of hot sauces in my fridge. Sometimes I'll do a tiny bit of soya sauce, tiny bit of plum or sweet and sour, and lots of hot sauce.
    Veggies of your choice and hot sauce
    Ginger
    Instead of savoury, make it sweet-a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg (or turn it into rice pudding with milk, an egg, and a little bit of sugar-raisins too if you like them!)
    biryani rice-Asian Home Gourmet is my favourite premade brand-no crap in it. Use the sauce, some plain yogurt (or sometimes I use coconut milk), raisins, veggies, mmmm
    Throw a teaspoon or so of flaked/shredded coconut in the ricecooker/pot as your cooking it.
    Made home made sweet thai chili sauce too that was good
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The Japanese swear by what is called "Furikake". Basically it's spice powder that makes the rice taste like shrimp or fish and other stuff.
    I had a couple of different ones before, though salmon was my favorite. There are quite a few online shops like jlist that sells them. I haven't seen them in stores yet, but then again, German grocery stores are not as big as American ones. You might find it at some of the bigger ones or other Asian food stores.

BUMP! So going to look for this!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am glad I could help. Good luck finding it.