To log or not to log... that is the question...

Options
2»

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If it's not out of the ordinary for me to do it, I don't log it. I don't log laundry, dishes, vacuuming, etc. or any other household chores. I did log gardening today because I was dripping sweat off my forehead and I was pulled weeds like mad, so that was not my norm and I logged it.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I take it as those "normal" activities should already be a part of my BMR, so MFP already takes that into account. I only log what is above and beyond that, like pushmowing the yard or last night I moved furniture.

I agree with this. Sure you might clean the house one day, but you probably balance it by sitting around on your butt another day. It's such an inexact science anyway.
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If its something I spend a more than usual amount of time on or expend more energy then usual I might, but I never have.

I think it's key to remember that different people are at different fitness levels and just doing normal house work might be more than they were accustomed to doing before they decided to change their lives. For them going from no motion to even what seems like an insignificant amount to you will really make a difference.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    No..unless I do some heavy cleaning or helping a friend move boxes around, then yes.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If I clean which is rarely ever :blushing: I log my time. When I clean it's usually a deep clean which can take hours :laugh: . That's a work out for me! Everything else that is not actual "exercise" stays off my log. I get a kick out of some of the things I've seen logged as exercise. Nope . . . . not even going there :flowerforyou: .
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't think about my cleaning, cooking, shopping, wagon-training enough to even remember how much or how intense it is/was. I'm always doing something...even if it's walking the halls of my home like a drill instructor barking at my kids LOL (which I reall don't do often). There's always laundry to fold or cereal to sweep or pots to put away. I just consider it a part of my normal activities because doing otherwise would mean I'm strapped to my HRM from the moment I awaken to the moment I sit down. It's just not practical to log it as exercise. Furthermore, I also feel like I'd be lulling myself into a false sense of security and fooling myself into thinking that I could eat more than I actually should. I'd rather underestimate my burn than overestimate.

Having said that, I also realize that doing certain things is truly laborious for some. The energy and endurance it takes to strip the bed and remake it was not lost on me after I had hernia repair surgery several years ago. And bending down to clean a tub or hauling groceries from the van into the house in the rain can be a huge deal. So, I don't begrudge anyone who feels justified in logging such things. I just choose not to.

Girl, I remember that time you mentioned that if you ran about the house cleaning with "vigorous" effort, your husband would be asking you for a urine sample... it made me LOL.

:)

Thanks everyone for the input. I like how some people's methods will work for them, then other people have completely separate things that work for them. Explains how so thoroughly varied our human bodies are!

Oh, and update: my "Girls Night" consisted of going almost 300 cal over my daily limit.

D:

But it was totally worth it!
  • nettie1969
    Options
    If I clean which is rarely ever :blushing: I log my time. When I clean it's usually a deep clean which can take hours :laugh: . That's a work out for me! Everything else that is not actual "exercise" stays off my log. I get a kick out of some of the things I've seen logged as exercise. Nope . . . . not even going there :flowerforyou: .

So, how do you log s e x then??? lol