Can heat speed up your metabolism?

Options
Basically the Question above :)
I know that going in cold water speeds it up a bit, but would it work the same if your cold in general, e.g. Winter?
And also being outside all hot in the summer? As it's hot here this weekend :)

I know this is really random, and the Internet didn't know...

Soo, Thanks for reading and answering! :-)

Replies

• juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    When you're in cold temperatures, your body has to work that much harder to achieve homeostasis by warming it up, which means you're burning more calories. I have a friend who loses 10 lbs every time she goes back to Germany to visit family, despite eating 3000+ cals per day, just because of how cold it is there.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm just guessing here.. but in heat you sweat and just sweating water which would be replaced when you drink or eat.

If its really cold and your cold.. your body is burning more calories to keep you warm?

Edit:.. lol! I got to type faster.. same as above! ^ ^
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Heat, on the other hand, won't speed up your metabolism but if you're sweating it's beneficial for detoxification -- which can, in turn, help with weight loss in the long run :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Agree with the ladies. It's not the heat that will speed it up, it's the cold. It activates your brown adipose tissue and this causes a high amount of glucose and fat to be burned to produce heat. In adult humans it's located in the back and neck. Dr. OZ even had a tip on one of his weight loss episodes to put a pack of frozen peas or whatever on the back of your neck for a couple of minutes to get it going..