Seasoned runners... calorie intake question

Options
tisamg
tisamg Posts: 62 Member
I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in November. While I know that trying to lose weight and cutting calories is probably not the best thing to do while training (trying to break my PR), I still can't help but take advantage of all the calories I'm burning and would like to lose a few pounds in the process. I have been pretty good about sticking to my MFP goal, but on my rest days (no running), if I eat 1200 calories, I don't have enough energy the next day to run 4-9 miles.

I am also trying to avoid eating wheat or refined sugar. It's training, so I'm doing just that... trying out different things to see if it improves my running and health. So far, my health is improving and when I have the energy, my running is, too. It's just the lack of energy.

Any seasoned runners out there with advice?

Replies

• rider777
    Options
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not a runner, but I'm a cyclist. The key to having energy for a race (or just a longer endurance run) is to estimate the calories you will burn in the event and eat some of them in the days BEFORE the event. Your body needs glycogen in advance otherwise when you push for the actual event you will run short of energy.

For example, I rode a century last Saturday, and I knew I would burn about 4000 calories during the event. I stopped working out to conserve energy after Wednesday and ate extra calories on Thursday and even more on Friday. On the day of the century I ate a decent breakfast, and as needed at all the SAG stops. That evening I calculated my actual burn minus what I had eaten on Thurs and Friday, and split the remaining calories between Saturday night and Sunday (recovery day).

It worked like a charm; I had no issues on the climbs, easily hit 24-25 mph on the flats, and finished the event in under 6 hours with an overall average of 16 mph. I felt great during and after the event and was not starving on Sunday.

If you are starving the day after an event, it's a good sign you didn't prepare your body with enough calories in advance.

best of luck.

blessings.
  • tisamg
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I guess I could have posed the question to endurance athletes. I have not trained for a marathon or half marathon while tracking my calories so closely. I usually just eat based on my energy level, etc. Despite the lack of energy, it has been a good learning experience having a log of everything I have eaten and how I feel on a run.

Thanks again!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Perhaps you could try splitting the calories you will burn on the 4-9 mile run -- eat half of them the day before on your rest day, and eat the other half on the day of the run. See if that improves your performance. You could also go to 75 / 25% and see how that works. Also, I'd suggest on the day of the run that you eat a hearty breakfast and have a banana or half energy bar about 45 min- 1 hour before the run.

The key to fueling your workouts is having the energy in advance of the event.

blessings.
  • tisamg
    Options
    Chaged up my diet as you recommended and had a great run! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have the Indy 500 Mini in May. I would like to know too.
    bump
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Chaged up my diet as you recommended and had a great run! Thanks for the suggestion!

oh good, I'm glad!