need shoes & HRM advice

Options
so our budget is pretty tight right now...pretty much paycheck to paycheck. next payday we might have an extra $150 or so and id really like to get some new run/walking shoes and a good HRM with chest strap.. anyone have suggestions on cheap-ish of either that work well. i dont want to buy something just because it fits my price range and have it be crap.
i dont do a whole lot of running right now, (though ive been considering c25k) i walk about 3 miles every other day and do 30ds every day.
thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM (has a chest strap): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RQWYDO

For shoes, the best thing to do is go to a store like Fleet Feet and get fitted for a pair of running shoes. I was so glad I did it. It has made a huge difference.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    my timex fitness HRM cost me about $60 from amazon, and free shipping. it was worth it.
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Polar F4 is a great monitor, you can find it on Amazon for the best deal. As far as shoes...... I have several pairs for different types of exercise, but Nike Lunar Swifts are my favorite all around shoe. You can find them on Nike website on clearance for under $50.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I also got a Polar F4 and I LOVE it! SO easy to use, I got it off of ebay for $60ish I believe. Also if you look on 6pm.com they have great deals on shoes!
  • annika27
    Options
    i have two pairs of champion running shoes from payless. they are regularly $30-40 but you can usually find some a pair on sale. since i'm not a competitive runner or anything, and i am also on a tight budget, i didn't see a need for expensive shoes. they are super comfortable and great for running!
  • Calorykiller
    Calorykiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree on getting fitted for shoes. I couldn't believe the difference in models and brands. I bought my shoes at the same running store that fitted me, but when I got home they were $40 cheaper online.

I did not mind paying for the service so I wasn't really disappointed. When they needed to be replaced I was able to buy the exact shoes online at the lower price.

I wear the Etonic Kendari SC. I don't know if they will work for you, but they are the best running shoes I have ever worn.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else- get a professional fitting for your shoes. You may pay about $100 for the shoes. When they need to be replaced, then hunt them online for the best price. You won't waste your time going through a bunch of shoes that never feel right and you'll be more likely to avoid injury. Plus, most of us beginner runners are carrying extra weight, so please make sure you get a fitting! Money well spent. Any of the Polar HRM's will be a wonderful workout tool Good luck to you!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    HRM Polar FT7 with chest strap $109.00 Academy, Love it!
  • vickijank
    vickijank Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Getting fitted for sneakers is a great idea but you're probably going to pay a decent amount of money for the shoes.

I would try either Asics or Ryka running shoes, even if you aren't planning on running, my Ryka sneakers are by far the most comfortable sneakers I have ever owned. I got them from Zappos.com and they were like $60 (http://www.zappos.com/ryka-revive-chrome-silver-pink-flare-yellow-glow-black-white) with NO S/H.

If you're comfortable doing it, buying shoes online is way cheaper than in the stores. :smile:
  • Phaenoh
    Options
    I'm really happy with my Reebok EasyTones, but those are for walking. They also have a line for running shoes. I'm an Industrial Designer (read Product Designer) and these are some darn good shoes. They've poured a bunch of money into researching and its paid off with great results, these shoes force the muscles to work more while making it just as easy for you to work out. Love them!