Is saying thank you lost among people?

Options

Replies

• jgbigman
    jgbigman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I say "please, thank-you, excuse me, bless you" but I notice alot of the younger generation doesn't. For example (and this is not straight across the board but it happens alot) the cashier will say "that's $15.50" no "please" and when I give them the money there is also no "thank-you."
    I have teen children and these experiences have made me instill things like this in them.

Someone recently told me that when they met my 18 year old son they were so impressed with him because when he shook their hand he looked right into their eyes and said "nice to meet you." I was NEVER more proud of him <3

Thank-you for your post it's important that we keep these traditions alive :flowerforyou:

Completely agree, we defiantly need to keep the traditions alive..I believe it is all in how you are raised..I grew up in a small town in Texas and have always say thank you and yes ma'am but that's not due to the small town, that's due to my parents telling and explaining proper manners to me.. It's a completely a respect thing. Also you shouldn't expect to get more than you give!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm glad thread wasn't just directed at youngsters!

The rudest people I've seen have been old women! I hold the door open, i just get a dirty look. They walk into ME in a shop, and give me a dirty look.

It's the "kids", late teens, are the ones who actually apologise when they bump into me, THEY are the ones offering help, holding doors, saying thank you etc.

At least, in my experience :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I say please and thank you, but I think it has more to do with the size of the population where you live than anything. In a small town, people are more polite than in a large city.

I totally disagree. I think it depends on how you were brought up, as in your family.

I've lived in about 20 different cities ranging from small to large. I've seen it no different anywhere I go.

Fair enough, but that has generally been my experience.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

The rudest people I've seen have been old women! I hold the door open, i just get a dirty look. They walk into ME in a shop, and give me a dirty look.

It's the "kids", late teens, are the ones who actually apologise when they bump into me, THEY are the ones offering help, holding doors, saying thank you etc.

I think I've come across an equal amount of politeness and rudeness from all generations, though the most blatantly rude ones seem to be 18 to 20 year old females. But that's my experience :)
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I believe in being curteous and polite. I've also drilled it into my child. I work customer service so it's a necessity. With that said, today I had a man come into my work today and interupt me while I was with a customer by saying "Hey babe, where's the atm?" I absolutely had to bite my tongue. I politely replied "We don't have one and my name is Carrie". This came from a Military man. Military!!! I was sooo pissed. That was sooo rude.
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I Agree with OP. But keep doing what your doing, even if ppl dont appreciate it! It's people like you who can make somwone's day and restore faith in the general goodness and altruism of ppl.

The other day I was on the bus and I asked the driver if it would stop at X stop. He just sorta shrugged and went "I dunno- this is my first time doing this route."

I was about to leave when a lady who was walking in asked me to repeat the sstop I wanted and then told me that it wasn't this bus, but the one coming in a few mins that I should take, It's silly, but it made my day that she took the time to do sth most people whouldn't have, despite thier ability to.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

I agree, there are a lot of mean old ppl as well ^^ Ive met mean and rude ppl of all ages...This may be controversial, but prettier/wealthier people tend to be nicer to me ^^ <-- I think this has to do with upbringing and maybe self-confidence ^^
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    This is a sad state unwhich a large part of society has fallen into. . but alas for me. . when I do something kind. . . I don't look for worldly acalades. .. my recognition will come from one much higher. . therefore. . it makes it easier to be kinder in this world and expect very little in return.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always say please and thank you. Growing up in my Mother's house, you didn't get anything you asked for unless the word please was inserted and the thank you followed.
    I do try to understand if the person looks distressed or flustered. Other than that, even if they don't say thank you, I still follow up with "you're welcome".
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I was raised in the South and still live here so those types of things are just a way of life for me. Plus, I have a 2 (almost 3 year old) that I am trying to teach these things to as well so we say yes sir, thank you, etc a million times per day to anything (our dogs!!!) and anyone.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Please and thank you are in my vocabulary more often than not. I also say ma'am and sir...which takes people of guard alot!!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

I agree, there are a lot of mean old ppl as well ^^ Ive met mean and rude ppl of all ages...This may be controversial, but prettier/wealthier people tend to be nicer to me ^^ <-- I think this has to do with upbringing and maybe self-confidence ^^

Really? Hm. In my experience, those are usually the more rude ones :| I live near a very wealthy town. A couple actually. Everyone there is so pampered and spoiled; the mall there has vending machines with iPods and iPhones in them. Not kidding. They're all really rude.
  • Dylanzmom
    Dylanzmom Posts: 120
    Options
    I always mind my manners it's the way I was raised. My son is only two but he knows to say please, thank you and will even say bless you. While out at a store yesterday I witnessed a man older than me cut right in front of an elderly man bc he didn't move fast enough. I couldn't believe how rude that was. Oh and if I notice that people don't say thank you after I hold a door open for them I will tell them You're welcome. It makes them do a double take and realize that they are rude.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I like to be very respectful toward other people, but I've learned not to expect the same. I used to get really frustrated, but I realized that I can't really change other's actions (or rather, lack of it).
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

Really? Hm. In my experience, those are usually the more rude ones :| I live near a very wealthy town. A couple actually. Everyone there is so pampered and spoiled; the mall there has vending machines with iPods and iPhones in them. Not kidding. They're all really rude.

same with where i am from....vending machines like that are not too uncommon i think ^^ i live in the wealthy towns though, so maybe it is just that I spend more time thus get to know the nicer ppl ^^
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I always say please and thank you because that's the way I was raised. Even when I get off the Metro bus I'll tell het bus driver thank you. I see so many people that get off the bus and don't even acknowledge the driver. I think it's so rude when people don't thank the driver.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    This irritates me too. I was raised to say Please/thank you, ma'am/sir. I still call older people Mr and Mrs whatever. Manners! But rarely do I hear it anymore. What really irks me is when I tell someone thank you - they say "yup" or "uh huh". Its Youre Welcome and a smile wouldnt kill ya either.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I Agree with OP. But keep doing what your doing, even if ppl dont appreciate it! It's people like you who can make someone's day and restore faith in the general goodness and altruism of ppl.
    ^^^
    Right there with ya, too, OP. Especially the part where you mentioned that opening a door isn't chivalry, but simply polite. I would also encourage continuing these behaviors not just for the service you provide, but the example that you set for others. I would feel like a heal if someone else took an opportunity to help someone that I had overlooked, and would certainly be more sensitive to a similar situation later on. I think I am almost overly courteous sometimes, though.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Manners and politeness are lost on most people today. I always try to say thank you and please. I try to be courteous and considerate to others, but it gets diffucult when a majority of people aren't . I feel like they think they are more important than you or their time is more valuable then yours so when you do a nice gesture, they expect it so there is no gratitude. I also hold open doors, greet people, etc. Sorry about getting a little side tracked.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Manners and politeness are lost on most people today. I always try to say thank you and please. I try to be courteous and considerate to others, but it gets diffucult when a majority of people aren't . I feel like they think they are more important than you or their time is more valuable then yours so when you do a nice gesture, they expect it so there is no gratitude. I also hold open doors, greet people, etc. Sorry about getting a little side tracked.

I greet people when Im running or on my errands. I also hold doors open for people. Maybe it's because I look like an idiot, but most people say thank you and smile in response. (Maybe they think, "Aawwww, look at that poor misforunate gal smiling at me. I should be nice to her." I also try to let people out in front of me in traffic when I can. 90% of the time people wave a "thank you" back. I dont think manners are lost. I think that people respond to kindness.