WHICH IS THE BETTER OIL?

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Is canola oil or extra virgin olive oil better?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I prefer grapeseed.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're using it for. I'd cook with canola and use olive oil for salad dressings, etc.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're doing with it. Some oils are not to be heated or they change chemically. So your answer is different if whether you're talking about putting it on a salad or using it to stir-fry.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing...

Olive oil is best for low temp cooking (low to medium settings on your stove)

Grapeseed oil, peanut oil or canola oil are all better choices for high temp cooking. I prefer grapeseed oil to canola oil.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Coconut.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Not sure...my personal choice is to use olive oil for everything.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    I've been using Mobile lately. It seems to be fine.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been using Mobile lately. It seems to be fine.

What about super tech from Walmart?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    As an Italian (well part at least)... I use olive oil for EVERYTHING
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Coconut, macadamia nut, avocado or olive oil are my faves., depending on what I'm using them for.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're making and it also depends on what you mean by "better." healthwise? tastewise? cooking wise?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    When baking bread, I started replacing a lot of the oil I use in the recipe with Applesauce!! It taste the same and WAY less calories :) I like it!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I mean for everyday use. I generally use only EVOO for everything. I've been looking through some healthy recipe sites and a lot of them call for canola oil. I, of course, never fry so I guess mostly for sauteeing and such.
  • dotmertsky
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kinds of oil I use...Grapeseed and EVOO.

it depends on temp of cooking...low evoo high grape..but I have used them interchangeably as well
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As others have said it depends on what I am using it for. Most of the time if I am cooking I use coconut oil.. For salad dressings I use flax seed oil. On occasion I will use olive oil.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing...

Olive oil is best for low temp cooking (low to medium settings on your stove)

Grapeseed oil, peanut oil or canola oil are all better choices for high temp cooking. I prefer grapeseed oil to canola oil.

This, but I use the canola for cooking. I've never actually tried grapeseed.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This along with other random questions are highly amusing. Seriously, the lack of knowledge on this site is rather devastating!! EVOO is for simple everyday use. If you are frying then you need to use refined olive oil...there are many "simple" explanations but generally the higher the heat the simpler the oil.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Coconut, macadamia nut, avocado or olive oil are my faves., depending on what I'm using them for.

Where did u find the macadamia nut oil? I haven't been able to find it anywhere!
  • kmvp08
    kmvp08 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Same here. Great sources of Omega 3s - the ones you actually want to consume.