Not sure what to do?

Options
Hello all,
I have spent the last 16.5 years trying just about every diet and pill there is. All with failed results. I have zero hope in myself ever losing, but for some reason I keep trying. I have some health problems now though and really need to lose about 100lbs, I just don't know the best way to do it.

I did a trial of weight watchers but had people tell me MFP was better so here I am trying this out.
Problem is I feel really lost. I have a houseful of 7 people and have been using the portion control (which has ww points) from e-mealz. I keep wondering since I have not lost if I should maybe switch to low carb or low fat. Problem is I have no clue which is better for the family, and which will help me lose weight. How are most people losing on MFP? I am pretty confused on where to start and what kind of diet I should do with the counting of calories. Low carb or low fat?

I have read all week and am no closer to figuring it out so help!!!! :) please!!!

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Dont worries about carbs or fat... The key to weight loss is counting your calories, PERIOD! Calories, calories, calories... not fat, carbs, protein, sugar, sodium, blah blah blah, just calories in vs calories out.

Many folks on here have lost weight, or have advanced knowledge and success, and are graduating to more intense goals than just weight loss.

But if you are 100 lbs overweight, dont let yourself get lost in all of the info that will get thrown at you here, and in society at large.

Count calories... focus on calories, JUST CALORIES :)
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

I wouldn't change your diet (or your family's) until you start logging what you already eat. Just eat as you usually do, or maybe smaller portions and log it.

For the first few weeks I was on here, that's all I did, and it REALLY opened my eyes to what/how much I was eating. After logging and tracking your food, you should be able to see what areas you need help in, then go from there.

I have a household of 8, so I know making major changes is not only time consuming, but expensive!! Good luck!!
    7534584 Posts: 38
    Options
    Is anyone else in your home overweight? I know when I was younger, I had 4 kids to taxi everywhere. Dinner was fix it fast or order out our "make your own." I decided not to focus on myself and wanted to make sure the kids were eating healthy. Since I can resist at the store, I didnt buy any chips, ice cream, cookies, etc and just put up with the "there's nothing to eat" saying from the kids. Since no snacks were around, I couldnt really binge at night (my favorite eating time) It is hard to tell your kid that getting dessert is not ok if you get it. or eating out instead of waiting to get home wont kill you if you cant wait to get home.
    This helped keep things in control in my house so I felt better about feeding myself and my family.
    But I have to admit that many times I have gone to store alone and eaten candy, or cookies, or entire boxes of caramel popcorn as fast as I could shove it in before I got home. Then I had to hide the evidence in the trash bottom in the garage.

It sounds silly but since I can eat an entire bag of chips, I havent been buying them. I buy kix cereal. I get to much I like them and even if I eat a lot it isnt as bad as the chips.

Obviously since I am here I am struggling with weight too. Just wanted to offer what I could.
    Maybe none applies to you.

Good luck.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Deary me, I can see why you're confused after having 16 years of nonsense filling your head. I would say, forget about the word 'diet', forget about banning foods, food being 'good' or 'bad' (think 'eat more' and 'eat less' instead), forget about finding some magic trick that leads to weighloss... I don't think there's any sustainable way of doing this, but slow, steady and sensible.

So, look up the healthy food pyramind. Focus on balance, and eating fairly normally, but with an eye on calories. Log everything! Every day, no matter way, every teeny thing. And slowly learn how to make good choices to find food that is filling, low calorie, full of nutrients. Read packaging!! Check portion sizes and calories.

Drink masses of water. Eat much more fruit and veg. Cut down your portion sizes of meat, carbs, sweet things. Find alternatives to the things you love that don't love you (i.e. low cal dip and rice crackers instead of creamy dip and chips). Eat a healthy breakfast.

Look at other people's food diaries. Some eat like they're on 'a diet', some eat normally, like they could for the rest of their lives. People have occasional treats. People exercise regularly (even a 10 minute walk counts. Start small, but keep going!).

As for the rest of your family - they can eat what you eat but may need more of it i.e. larger serving of meat and carbs. They don't need lots of fat. They can do without foods that can only be fattening in order to support you (or eat out without you). Or they may wish to join you and get healthy together!

Also, this journey is a head trip too. You'll need to keep soul searching as you go and emotions come up. What motivates you to overeat or make bad food choices? What motivates you to try to lose weight? What support can you get on your journey?

Set a small goal (10 pounds?) and celebrate each achievement - even just logging in every day, doing a wee bit of exercise, not giving in to temptation etc. DO NOT beat yourself up - it truly doesn't help. If you have a bad day, tomorrow's a whole new day, just keep going!

Phew! There's a few of my thoughts...

Good luck on your journey!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You are at the right place. Just put in your age, height, current weight, activity level and what your goal per week is for loss and MFP does everything else for you. It tells you what your daily calories should be as well as your carbs, proteins and fat. It not only tells you what it should be, once you enter your foods, it calculates it for you. If you exercise, that's covered too. Just put in your exercise info, it calculates the calories and adds it back to your daily calories so you can also eat your exercise calories. I do put my food in before I eat it - it helps me stay on track. There will be days when you go over - it is ok - tomorrow is a new day Never give up!!!!!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am new and have been on every diet known to man too. The other posters speak the truth when they say that you must expend more calories than you consume. Like many here I had no clue how many calories I was really eating until I started logging every morsel. Now if I there is something I really want I have it but then try to add more exercise to use those extra calories. The support here is amazing. Send out some friends request when you see posts from folks that sound like they might have something in common with you. When you are more confortable using the sight why not join a challenge. They offer fun, comraderie and the chance to make more friends for mutual support. That is what I did and I have found people as a rule to be very nice. You will see new challenges starting all the time for various durations and goals. Have fun with it and send a friends request to me if you like.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    All these posts are correct!

This is how my husband and I have done it... (47 lbs lost for me and 95 lbs lost for him)

1. Log everything... After a few weeks you will start getting the hang of proper food choices... Calorie counting is at the top of the list.
    2. Move more (walking, treadmill, biking, whatever it takes... start small and the stamina will come.
    3. read the success stories and NSV stories on the community tab - they are motivating and inspirational.
    4. make MFP friends for support
    5. Make your food diary viewable to your friends so they can offer advice and you are held accountable.
    6. Be patient! It will take most women about 18 - 24 MONTHS to lose 100 lbs. Men can lose it faster.

This is a lifestyle, not a race!
    Good Luck!
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    All these posts are correct!

This is how my husband and I have done it... (47 lbs lost for me and 95 lbs lost for him)

1. Log everything... After a few weeks you will start getting the hang of proper food choices... Calorie counting is at the top of the list.
    2. Move more (walking, treadmill, biking, whatever it takes... start small and the stamina will come.
    3. read the success stories and NSV stories on the community tab - they are motivating and inspirational.
    4. make MFP friends for support
    5. Make your food diary viewable to your friends so they can offer advice and you are held accountable.
    6. Be patient! It will take most women about 18 - 24 MONTHS to lose 100 lbs. Men can lose it faster.

This is a lifestyle, not a race!
    Good Luck!