Is a AEROBIC STEP (stepper) REALLY necessary??????

It seems so many workouts incorporate the use of an aerobic step (aka a stepper or step up). I know they are a great addition to a cardio workout. I have a product of Jillian Michaels and many of the circuits have the use of one.
But I discovered today this thing actually cost $80! That is kind of expensive.

So, I was wondering what the deal is. Is a aerobic step necessary?
Do you use a aerobic step? Is it good to have? Or what exercises would you recommend instead that target the same muscles groups and provide the same cardio workout?

Thanks!!! :D

Here is a photo of a aerobic step, just in case.
The_STEP_Aerobic_Step_Reebok_Club_Step.jpg

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    You can build your own from about $3 worth of lumber! Geez o pete!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    I use a chair.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    craigslist? i
  • I use a stepper..cost me about $20 from walmart!! Came with a DVD and what ever..I like it..my workout room is small and I enjoy the extra effort I can put in...its just personal choice really...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Aerobic-Step/10910439

I lie..it was $30!! lol
  • You can just use the stairs and walk up and down them
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    its so stupid how a big hunk of plastic is so expensive....i say the same thing for all the plastic toys they have for kids now too...like the big playhouses n stuff...kinda makes me mad
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Ocean state job lot. $15.00. I had to have it. Never used it once, lol.
  • I take a class at school and they provide them which is nice...
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    I have to say that the expensive aerobic steps are actually quite awesome if you're into stepping. I also have one of the smaller ones, and it's terrible. Too easy to have your foot go off the side if you're watching the TV screen and not your feet--dangerous! I gave it to my five year old to use when she works out with me; it's perfect for her! The big advantage of the step is that most of the moves are low impact. If you add any "airborne," it'll burn more calories than just doing airborne moves on the floor. That being said, if you're just looking for aerobics, no, the step isn't critical. Personally, I think it makes the workout more physically challenging and mentally challenging, which suits me fine :)
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    I got mine at a yard sale for $5, but you can make one, or there is Ebay, Craigslist, second hand stores to mention a few. Good luck, they are nice to use for extra cardio and great for the rear end!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I'd find one on Craigslist, on eBay or at a yard sale, but I don't think I'd use a chair, a homemade wooden design or the stairs in your house. A 'real' step is designed to have a certain amount of give/bounce. It also won't side on the carpet because of the rubber feet. It's easy to adjust to make higher or lower. The top has a good non-slip surface. I tried using other 'homemade' options because I didn't want to spend money on a step, but after using a real one for a while at the gym, I realized there was really no substitute.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Well, that's obvious. LOL

I just want to know of other exercises. Not how I can build my own or what else I can use.
  • amandavictoria80
    A chair is much too high. I have read they should be about 6-10 inches from the ground.
  • amandavictoria80
    I use a stepper..cost me about $20 from walmart!! Came with a DVD and what ever..I like it..my workout room is small and I enjoy the extra effort I can put in...its just personal choice really...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Aerobic-Step/10910439

I lie..it was $30!! lol

Unfortunately, I'm in Canada. They all cost about $80. $70 without tax is the cheapest I have found. And the one at walmart is all electronic. And I don't need that.
  • amandavictoria80
    You can just use the stairs and walk up and down them

That's a "stepper". LOL Walking up and down stairs wouldn't be the same thing. I can't do aerobic step exercises on the stairs.
  • amandavictoria80
    That's exactly how I feel. That much for plastic!
  • amandavictoria80
    I tried eBay, Craigslist and Kijiji. No luck. And it's coming up to winter here so yard/garage sales are over. :(

I am going to try second hand stores and see if I can find one. :) Thanks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Short answer is: No, you don't need one. Step aerobics came into being sometime at the end of the 1980s/early 90s. Regular aerobics have been around much longer. The concept of aerobics came into being in the 1960s and aerobics DVDs (think Jane Fonda) got really popular sometime during the early 80s. You can certainly use any of the thousands of traditional aerobics DVDs out there which don't require a stepper.
  • amandavictoria80
    Thanks for this info! :) This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks so much!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    I don't like using a aerobic stepper, but I do own one that I bought from a garage sale a few years ago for $1.00. I have some of the Jillian workouts you are talking about that uses an aerobic stepper.

I like that some workouts that uses aerobic steppers have a person modifying the steps without the stepper. That's what I tend to do regardless. So, no, I don't think the stepper is necessary.