Lighter Quiche Lorraine

Options
Sweet13_Princess
Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
I found this recipe in an old issue of Shape Magazine. My hubby absolutely loved it, and he's a VERY picky eater.

Lighter Quiche Lorraine
(Shape Magazine)

Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 slice •
Calories: 244 • Fat: 16 g g • Saturated Fat: 7 g • Calcium: 192 mg • Iron: 1mg
• Fiber: 2 g • Protein: 9 g • Carbs: 11g• Sodium: 290 mg

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
2 large egg whites
(OR 3/4 cup egg whites from container)
12 ounce can lowfat evaporated milk
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
5 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
2/3 cup reduced-fat Swiss cheese
5 scallions, sliced
1 frozed whole wheat pie shell

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites. Add evaporated milk and cayenne pepper, whisk to combine. Stir in bacon, cheese, and scallions. Pour the batter into the frozen pie shell.

Bake the quiche in the center of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is puffed and the middle is slightly wobbly. Cool on the rack for 10 minutes. Slice into 8 wedges and serve.

Shannon

Replies

• bettycass
    bettycass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious but I have never seen frozen whole wheat pie crusts. I am going to have to look for one.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It does look good. I haven't seen whole wheat pie crusts, either, but I bet I could make some. If I made 3 or 4, I could freeze the extras for later. Thanks.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I'm thinking of making one with broccoli later this week. I also think a spinach one would be delicious.

I admit, I didn't find the whole wheat pie crusts. I missed them and didn't have time to backtrack in the grocery store, so I just used a shortcake one from the organic food aisle instead. The crust was slightly sweet that way, but didn't taste bad.

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Bump.. I just wanted a few more people to see this, since it turned out so yummy!

Shannon
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This sounds tasty. I am hoping the evaporated milk helps it set while keeping some of that silky custardy quiche texture. Traditional quiche recipes have so much fat. I will give it a shot, thanks.

As for the crust, I would skip the traditional pie crust and just toss some whole wheat or sourdough breadcrumbs with a small amount of olive oil, and sprinkle them in the bottom of the pan. Mix in some parmesan cheese for added flavor. Or make the quiche completely crustless, but grease the pan well.
  • ShundaRfn
    ShundaRfn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The thing is... the crust is what makes up most of the calories, honestly. You're only losing a bit of fat and protein by skipping a couple egg yolks and using reduced fat cheese.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Skip the bacon if you want to save calories (add veggies if desired) and consider soy milk in place of the evaporated milk. Haven't compare the milk cals, but that's how I make it.