I hate exercising!!!

Options
I need some motivation!!! Since I have been on MFP, I have gotten my eating somewhat under control, but I do not like to exercise!! I have tried to do different things, but I can't get a good routine going simply because I don't like it!! What do I do?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You get used to it after awhile. I didn't like it either at first. Now I go anyway, and make sure I do it every day.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    yup, i bet noone likes it at first, just get thru the first few days and then you will feel guilty if you dont do it
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ditto...exercise? blech. sigh.
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try to find something that doesn't feel like exercising like zumba or another dance/workout combo, there are several for the different gaming consoles. Once you get used to that it's much easier to do more activities that are less fun.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation!!! Since I have been on MFP, I have gotten my eating somewhat under control, but I do not like to exercise!! I have tried to do different things, but I can't get a good routine going simply because I don't like it!! What do I do?
    Gotta HATE being overweight more than hating exercise.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    i go for a walk. i hate exercising too cuz it hurts. so i walk. you would be surprized that a mile isnt that far. i live on 14th and if i walk to 8th and back, its .8 miles. easy, takes 20 minutes. burn like 200 cals. it sucks at first. just cuz you dont think it will work and you dont think it will make the difference, but in a week, you can shed a lb just from walking not to mention your diet. do it and see how it goes. when you see the results, then you will want to go.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Start with music...then think of those people and selling their packages: Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, etc...they HAVE to workout to stay in shape. Now imagine you are them!! Embrace sweat because that is about as sexy as you can get!! Now go get your ZUmba on and shake it!!
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    I used to hate it, then I got to where I could tolerate it, and now I actually have days that I enjoy it. One thing that helps me is a good playlist on my iPod. I like upbeat, positive music. Another thing I sometimes do, when I really don't want to work out, is to tell myself I'll just go walk for 10 minutes. I swear 90% of the battle is getting started, if I can get to the gym and get started, I'll keep going. But when I'm at home and have "too many important things to do" or I'm just feeling lazy, I promise myself just 10 minutes, and usually once I get going I'll do at least 30 minutes. If I still want to quit after 10 I do, but that has only happened a couple times when I was on a real time crunch.

One other thing I do is print out 4 monthly calendars on 1 page (you can do it in Microsoft Word really easily with a calendar template). Then I commit to something for those 4 months. At the beginning of the year I wanted to walk 10 miles a week, so every day I would just write how many miles I did in the little box. Once I'd get a couple weeks into it and start seeing the mileage add up, it gets a little addicting and I hate to leave a box blank so I'd do at least one mile so I could write it down. It doesn't have to be a mileage goal, you could say you want to work out 15 or 20 minutes a day and track your time. Right now I'm working with a trainer 3 days a week, so I mark that, and I still record my mileage each day.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Are there any sports you used to like when you were young? You could join a city league.
    Do you like dancing? Dancing is great cardio, whither you shake your booty around the house or want to learn something new, that's good cardio right there. Wanna take a class, check out local community centers and city/community colleges. They often offer evening classes at reasonable rates, esp. for residents.
    That not your thing, but enjoy helping people, jump at the chance to help friends move, that's cardio and weight lifting. There maybe some labor intensive work that needs doing with a volunteer organization. Many locals have city cleanup volunteer projects and city/community garden planting events. Digging, weeding and tilling are all good exercise.
    Clean out the garage/attic, help a friend orginize their basement.
    Like kids? Offer to babysit for a friend, an energetic child is a great way to exercise without actually realizing it. Play tag, go on the swings, soccer a good game of red light, green light in the park.

Find something that you like to do that involves moving. Even if it just shopping or going for a walk to watch the fall colors change. Moving more doesn't have to involve a gym or a program, esp. at first. :) Find your passion and enjoy life!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise more than pretty much anything, BUT I KNOW I have to do it in order to be healthier and thinner! Just start with something small and work your way up. Find something you can at least tolerate
  • jessimica_b2
    jessimica_b2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    best thing ever: "accidental exercise"; just get out of the house, walking around the mall for a couple hours, trying on clothes (dont bring your wallet!) burns a surprising amount of calories, do some chores, clean out your closet, play with some kids, play with your dog... do something FUN... take on an activity, like bike riding.
  • leilani♥
    Options

Keep trying new things... I've been at this for 3 months now and honestly I don't have a set routine. The ONLY day that repeats itself is TUESDAY night zumba's because my instructor is AHHMAAZING!...

I LOVE EXERCISING.

My motivation?

My fat pics...
    Going from a size 14 to a size 10 keeps me motivated...
    Having a better quality of life!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a hard thing to get into isn't it? Do you dislike all exercise? Do you dislike walking? Walking is a great start to an exercise program.

And think about it this way. If you're doing no exercise now, then every minute you do is a bonus. So you don't have to launch into a full 30-45 minutes each day straight away. A 5 minute walk around the block will help. Are you near a shopping mall? You could do 1 or more laps just walking through the mall to start, say walk through the mall, then do your shopping.

The other thing is alot of people find that the motivation comes AFTER you start, so you need a little will power to get going. Think of it like cleaning your teeth, or showering, or washing your clothes, you just have to do it.

I often find tht telling myself that I only need to do 10 minutes is a good way to overcome the trouble getting started. 99 times out of 100 I'll end up doing a good exercise session once I'm started.

Keep trying, your body will thank you.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I find being able to eat more if I do it a great motivator to do something active. :)

I hate exercising, as well. I hate every minute of it...but I do feel great after, both physically and mentally.
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    Get over it and start easy and small, you'll get used to it. Toning your body will make the weight loss more visible and will encourage you to continue. Its also easier to control your eating when you have extra calories to use. Good Luck!
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    I hate it too, but we have to
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One other thing I do is print out 4 monthly calendars on 1 page (you can do it in Microsoft Word really easily with a calendar template). Then I commit to something for those 4 months. At the beginning of the year I wanted to walk 10 miles a week, so every day I would just write how many miles I did in the little box. Once I'd get a couple weeks into it and start seeing the mileage add up, it gets a little addicting and I hate to leave a box blank so I'd do at least one mile so I could write it down. It doesn't have to be a mileage goal, you could say you want to work out 15 or 20 minutes a day and track your time. Right now I'm working with a trainer 3 days a week, so I mark that, and I still record my mileage each day.

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    best thing ever: "accidental exercise"; just get out of the house, walking around the mall for a couple hours, trying on clothes (dont bring your wallet!) burns a surprising amount of calories, do some chores, clean out your closet, play with some kids, play with your dog... do something FUN... take on an activity, like bike riding.

What she said :) I also try to make sure I do "mini" exercises throughout the day, like carrying a basket instead of pushing a cart at the store, using the stairs, parking further away from stores etc. I think it really helps!
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you hate exercise, that really only means that you haven't found out the right thing for YOU! If you have fun while working out, the pounds will melt faster!! Just try out different things, people have already given you a lot of ideas, and pick the right one for you. I can't believe that there are so many people that don't like exercise, it feels so wonderful when you have achieved something, when you see progress, when you see those inches melting, especially if you have like a personal trainer, someone to motivate you or a really good playlist, music motivates as well ;) Just get out there and start enjoying yourself :)
  • Brittshae
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have tried several things, but it is just hard to keep it up. When I log my exercise, it is normally cleaning or walking the dog. I don't enjoy it though. Maybe I will get there one day!!