Can not figure it out!

Options
I apologize in advance for the rambling message...

I have a thyroid condition called Hashimotos. I mention this just as an fyi. I am on medication and my levels are checked frequently.

I have been burning about 5,500 calories a week.

I have been eating around 1,200 calories a day. (Eating more doesn't help. I've tried. Instead of maintaining, I just gain.)

I drink plenty of water.

My weight will. not. budge.

I am beyond frustrated as I have been trying to lose this same 15 pounds for 3 years. (I know to some that may not seem like much, but I cannot explain enough how these 15 pounds are affecting my life. I am not the same person I was before the 15 pounds came on 3 years ago. I want me back. I am embarrassed by myself. I don't want to have this horrible lack of self esteem anymore.)

So. I am getting married on March 21st. I want to look back on those photos and be happy with what I see. I am great at following instructions, and feel like I am doing everything in my power to lose weight correctly and healthily. I have done tons of research...

I am thinking about doing a low carb diet until the wedding, because many people have success losing quickly on this type of plan.

But before I do - can anyone else relate to this? Have you figured it out for yourself? Is there anyone who reads this who can see what I am doing wrong?

I know weight loss is individual, but I feel that I should be able to exercise, eat right, and lose weight. And I KNOW I am having a pity party - and believe me I am not proud of it - but honestly I just want to know WHY NOT ME? Why can't I lose weight too?

Sorry for this downer - I promise positive and non self-deprecating posts in the future!... I think I am just having one of those days. But I could still use the advice if anyone has any?

Replies

• Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for the rambling message...

I have a thyroid condition called Hashimotos. I mention this just as an fyi. I am on medication and my levels are checked frequently.

I have been burning about 5,500 calories a week.

I have been eating around 1,200 calories a day. (Eating more doesn't help. I've tried. Instead of maintaining, I just gain.)

I drink plenty of water.

My weight will. not. budge.

I am beyond frustrated as I have been trying to lose this same 15 pounds for 3 years. (I know to some that may not seem like much, but I cannot explain enough how these 15 pounds are affecting my life. I am not the same person I was before the 15 pounds came on 3 years ago. I want me back. I am embarrassed by myself. I don't want to have this horrible lack of self esteem anymore.)

So. I am getting married on March 21st. I want to look back on those photos and be happy with what I see. I am great at following instructions, and feel like I am doing everything in my power to lose weight correctly and healthily. I have done tons of research...

I am thinking about doing a low carb diet until the wedding, because many people have success losing quickly on this type of plan.

But before I do - can anyone else relate to this? Have you figured it out for yourself? Is there anyone who reads this who can see what I am doing wrong?

I know weight loss is individual, but I feel that I should be able to exercise, eat right, and lose weight. And I KNOW I am having a pity party - and believe me I am not proud of it - but honestly I just want to know WHY NOT ME? Why can't I lose weight too?

Sorry for this downer - I promise positive and non self-deprecating posts in the future!... I think I am just having one of those days. But I could still use the advice if anyone has any?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    yes I can I have been battling these same pounds for a year now- no matter what I do it wont come off- eating exercise calories isn't for me (even though many on this site say it works for them but not everything for works for everyone) I have been at the same plateau for a year. But I will keep pushing and you should do the same thing- see what you can change up.

Are you sure your burning that many calories? do you wear a HRM? I invested in one its a polar f4 got it at target 90.00-

Dont give up re-evaluate what your eating- 1200 calories of junk food/bad food isn't good
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's too. All I can say is it is a b**ch. It will mess with you like crazy. I haven't been able to weigh myself yet and see if I've lost anything since being on this site, but a couple months ago I went to my doctor and talked to him. He sent me to see a nutritionist, who was actually pretty helpful. Personally I think a lot of it lies in the exercise we do. Last year I got rid of my car but didn't change the way I ate and I lost like 30 pounds in 4 months. For me it was a matter of getting up and getting myself some more activity.
    It's frustrating though!!! I can definitely sympathize with you!
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    yes I can I have been battling these same pounds for a year now- no matter what I do it wont come off- eating exercise calories isn't for me (even though many on this site say it works for them but not everything for works for everyone) I have been at the same plateau for a year. But I will keep pushing and you should do the same thing- see what you can change up.

Are you sure your burning that many calories? do you wear a HRM? I invested in one its a polar f4 got it at target 90.00-

Dont give up re-evaluate what your eating- 1200 calories of junk food/bad food isn't good

I don't intend this in a mean way but maybe if you ate your exercise calories your weight would move?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good endocrinologist? I mean did the Dr. just pick an average number in the range for your TSH or did the Dr find the amount of medication right for you.

If you are eating maintenance calories and you continue to gain weight then either your medicine is not right for you or your metabolism is really low. Since it seems that it is really important for you to lose the 15lbs you may ask your Dr about metabolic rate test so she/he can design a eating plan around your disorder.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

I don't intend this in a mean way but maybe if you ate your exercise calories your weight would move?

I have tried that but it doesn't work either- I even saw my doctor bloodwork out the ying yang and still nothing he was even scratching his head- because the weight wont budge my body likes where its at even though I don't--
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have tried that but it doesn't work either- I even saw my doctor bloodwork out the ying yang and still nothing he was even scratching his head- because the weight wont budge my body likes where its at even though I don't--

Hm. Last year when I was struggling with my thyroid I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did so I gave up trying but this year with my thyroid in check it seems to be coming off a bit easier.

I hope you figure out what works for you. :)
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    my issue is I don't have a thyroid condition- My body is just content at the weight- I do have alot of muscle and I do drop inches just not pounds which is what I am trying to do is to drop the number on the scale not just inches
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i had my thyroid removed 8 years ago now Im not saying that the was the cause but 60 lbs crept up on my body. I tried everything to lose weight and nothing worked. 'then Nov of 07 I just started eating healthy and watching my calories on mf and the weight started coming off. Im not saying it came off fast but 1 lb at a time I went from a tight 22 to a comfortable 14 my goal is a 12 so Im almost there. I wish you all the luck I just think everyones body is different and works in its own way. Dont give up just take it one day at a time....
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses everyone!

Ivykivy - I do have a great endocrinologist. I will ask her about a Metabolic Rate Test - I had never heard of that before.

I am having much less of a pity party today and am trying to look at the upsides of exercise and eating healthy even though the scale isn't budging. For instance, I do notice a significant decrease in the amount of dimples in places that I do not want them! :smile: