WW info... Is this allowed?

Options
2»

Replies

• brwneyz09
    brwneyz09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly...it doesn't matter which one you use. It's you who makes a program work. I find that there are more food already entered online here at MFP than on WW though.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would 3rd or 4th suggest doing your calories here. It's free and you have all the support here. The poster that said a diet and then another diet..it's about life style change. That is soo true! I can't stand when my mom says how the diet is doing. I'm constantly telling her it's not a diet. It's just eating different is all. I say give it a try! What can it hurt~
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    If you're thinking of doing WW just online... I'd try using MFP first. You can search and find enough of the materials on WW if you want and follow the point system on your own. There are free points plus calculators online and it's not hard to find the formula (I think I still have it saved in excel somewhere.)

If meetings/in person support groups are your kind of thing, WW meetings may be better for you than online. There's something about in person accountability that just works better for some folks.

I did WW online for several years, worked well for me until the last change over (admittedly I was at a plateau anyway.) MFP meets my needs more right now, as I need to see a more complete nutritional / caloric breakdown, not just 'points.'

The best thing WW and the point system did for me, was made me more aware of 'evaluating the value' of certain foods without being soley focused on 'is it low calorie?' It was a good kind of 'mental retraining' to go through and for me, it seems to have stuck pretty well. :smile:
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for your feedback. I was considering the online version of WW. After reading all the posts, I've decided to stick with MFP. I purchased weight loss software a while back, and have been successful when I used it... when I stopped I gained. I guess it's the same with any program. I actually prefer that food and exercise journal to this one, so I'll use it instead of MFP... but I do like the online support system here, and the accountability.

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond, and wish everyone here the best of luck with their healthy changes!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers lost 20 pounds between pregnancies, but it's a lot less complicated to use mfp. Straight up calories rather than calculating points. I feel like mfp is less of an intrusion or something.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I follow weight watchers and attend meetings I like the fact I can also see nutrutional info on here and calories so it helps me make good food choices to use my points on. I like going to meetings alothough I agree it can be quite expensive.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago and lost 32lbs in three months. Then I got bored. There was no 'spontaneous' meals or drinks when I was out. The meetings helped me, but if you attend for a while, you begin to notice that they just repeat every few weeks (at least they did at the location I was at). I didn't learn so much about how to control my eating, it was more like just a group of people sitting around talking about food and what they missed. This isn't to say that every meeting is like this, but the few locations that I have been to were. I eventually got sick of making a meal then having to measure, weigh, build the recipe online to find the point values, etc etc. By the time I was done weighing and stuff, my family was already done eating. It did work that time around for me though.

Fast forward 3 years, and I tried again. They changed the program (they do this once a year or so), and fruits are now free. This time around I only lost 17 lbs in 3 months (about half what I did the first time). I get that slow and steady wins the race, but for someone my size, 5 lbs a month wasn't cutting it.

A friend of mine used MFP and told me about it, and i signed up. I am just starting week 4 and I'm already down 9.2 lbs, and i go over just about everyday. It's so much easier for me to find calories than to calculate points--for some restaurants, it's nearly impossible to get all of the nutrition info needed to calculate the points (calories//fiber/carbs/protein). You can find a calorie count for every food imaginable online, and easily with phone apps. Not to mention I was paying $48 a month for meetings and e-tools (the online tracking and recipe builder tools) with WW.

Your best bet is to try it for a few months and see if you like it better. It works for people if you are extremely diligent and willing to figure out points. I wasn't, since I like my free time and having dinner with my family.

I told my doctor that I was counting calories now, and she said that's basically the same thing as WW, it's just easier to find the number. Hahaha.