Pain...help!

Options
So, I just recently started adding exercise to watching my intake and I must admit that I am in PAIN!! I've been power walking and running for short stints (like 20 or so minutes) and I am absolutely miserable! My legs are killing me. I'm already taking scheduled narcotics for fibromyalgia and MS and desperately need suggestions as to how to alleviate this discomfort. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    As you already have conditions that require intensive pain management I would speak to your doctor. In the meantime, try just walking instead of the running until the pain has subsided. Put your feet up when you can and perhaps try a warm bath with some Epsom salts to try and ease the muscles. Self-hypnosis and relaxations exercises can help with intense pain to, although it might be difficult the first few times. I hope you are feeling better soon :flowerforyou:
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    While running and speed walking are both great for you. You don't have to start going that fast right away.

You burn the same amount of calories no matter how hard you work for it. You burn the same amount of calories walking for one mile and running for one mile. Running is just the faster way of doing it.

I would say just slow it down and work at a moderate pace where you can carry on a conversation without breathing problems, or if you want to step it up a little further, a pace where you can talk in short bursts (for example).

For me, I have never really ran before. But I started walking. The first couple of times I was in pain (a little, just from moving) but nothing excessive. Don't forget to stretch after your walking! :)