stress eating

Options
Uh oh,
well, here's the story. My husband is in a rotton mood. which unfortunately drives me to snack eat snack snack.
When we met, I had a a house, he moved in when we got married. Now I am putting up new insulation and siding. Using my income for this.
He has a farm, he uses his income for that.
Now all of a sudden he is depressed cuz he thinks he has nothing...even though he has a farm, equipment, cattle. And he is one hell of a great trucker too. I totally trust him.
He says I ahve a house and career, a future. He has nothing and I have money. GACK!
He is feeling so down on himself.. He slept on the couch fri night, Saturday he stayed up at the farm (has a trailer there)
I tried to 'build him up' and telling him that he is wonderful, I married him because I love him. He is talented!
Now I feel that that is enough pouting,
Put your chin up, head high!! He is healthy, young, and has a great future! His depression stresses me totally out!
sorry guys, had to vent.
Oh, and I 'was' planning a warm holiday --- He is absolutely not going! he says. No money, Geeze.

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    When you become married its technically both your money and things.
    I wonder why hes feeling that he has nothing while you have things.
  • lynicholson
    Options
    OMG, girl, you go on that holiday and soon. Oh, and also, 4 inch heels!
  • friendofliz
    Options
    I don't know him, but. is it possible that your husband may feel threatened by your weight loss, and not even be aware?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to decide/find out is. Is he actually clinically depressed or is he just down. There is a big difference and if he is clinically depressed he needs medical help. However if he is just down then maybe making a list of all the thinks he does have (not just material things) but love family friends healt etc may make him realise he is not as impovershed as he thinks he is.

My husband has time when he states (quite dramatically) that he has a hard life! I have to point out to him the things that other people have to put up with that makes his life look like a day at the beach.

You can find wisdom in strange places read the lyrics below.

Lyrics from "Keepin it real" by Shaggy

When I was young
    I use to dream of being rich
    Have alot of houses and cars
    Couldn't know which one was which
    And finding me a chick and getting hitched
    Living the fairy tale life perfect without a hitch
    You think that this would bring me happiness
    If at the end of every rainbow
    There was a treasure chest
    But sometimes having more is really less
    So take a look inside yourself
    You'll realize you're really blessed
    No matter how your sad and blue
    There's always someone who has it worse than you
    Sometimes you gotta pay your dues
    So don't worry just push on through
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    *yep, i told him it's ours.

*oh, i reeaally want that holiday. I am a size 10, i bought a red two piece, my heels are in my closet, now just finding that red dress.
    he did mention once that he is scared of flying...even though he has never been in a plane before :(

*Not sure, guess he is feeling insecure. Just don't understand why.
  • kje2011
    Options
    THANKS Manderson27!!! needed that, love it!
    Have a great Sunday!
  • danraldo1
    Options
    I understand how your husband feels. I had a young beautiful wife, owned rental properties, owned a $150,000 RV, was making over $100.000 a year and I was not satisfied with my life. I constantly thought I could be doing better and achieve even more at my age (36). I refused to stop and smell the roses, as I pushed and pushed to achieve even more.

Then one day God intervened and decided that I needed to learn to be happy with what I had and that this life is not meant for us to acquire possessions and prestige.

I was home for the summer in 1998 and found out that my in-laws had acquired an old house that they wanted to remodel and use as a rental property, so my wife and I told them that we had plenty of time available and we would start the construction demolition that was required to get the project started. I was using a sledge hammer to break apart one of the old fireplace chimneys that were used for heating the house. On the last swing with the hammer, the bricks gave way and I kept on going (followed through with the swing). I landed on the floor and was in excruciating pain (had never hurt this bad in my life), as I laid there I called for my wife and ask her to help me up. 2 days later I was paralyzed from the waist down and told that I would never be able to walk again.

After 3 1/2 months of hospitalization I returned home to live in a concrete basement with only a bed, toilet and shower, no more money, RV's, properties or prestige. I was now completely bankrupt and to top it all off I was told that I would never be able to have children because of the accident.

My wife was 12 years younger than me and she was trying her hardest to deal with taking care of a person in a wheel chair. She had to help me insert a 14" rubber catheter inside of myself 6-8 times a day just so I could urinate. She had help dress me and most of all she had to put with my anger and frustration. After a few months of doing this, she told me that she wished I would find someone else, because she could not take it any longer.

It is now 13 years later and I am able to walk with the use of leg and foot braces and I live happily alone. I have been blessed by this incident in my life as I now know more about myself and more importantly I know more about what God wants me to do.

So tell your husband that he needs to realize that he is exactly where God wants him at this time in his life and he needs to understand that having you in his life is more important than any possession or achievement. He also needs to understand that your need to lose weight and be happy is a blessing for him as well. He should realize that you love him and that you are doing this for yourself and HIM! God Bless..Dan
  • kje2011
    Options
    Thank you Dan.
    Yes, God is definitely in my life :) and that is encouraging.
    unfortunately not as prevalent in my husband's life but he does support me and goes with me to church (except today).

Thank you so much for your life story. God has plans for all of us.

hugs.

kje