Newlyweds on a Mission

Options
I used to be a member of the Brides on a Mission thread, which was very helpful during the whole wedding planning and pre-wedding weight loss process.

Now that I'm married (it's just about four months now), I'm finding daily challenges as a newlywed to eating healthy and keeping my level of fitness up. Not to mention, I'm really not at my goal weight and would still like to work to get there.

I thought a Newlyweds thread would be a great way for other Just Married members to connect and work through similar issues.

Please join me in this venture and post what challenges you are currently facing!

Oh... And Congratulations!:-D

Shannon

Replies

• Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Bump.... no takers?

Shannon
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would be interested! My husband and I are stinking with the healthy life changes we made to get ready for the wedding. Also, our honeymoon is in 2 months and I want to be swimsuit ready!
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this! I'm not "NEW" new (we just celebrated our 1 year), but I still count myself as a newly wed. :)

Any ideas for activities for the two of us to do together? I'm not a runner so that is out, but I'm always on the lookout for exercises we can do together.
  • tymee
    tymee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We just celebrated our 1st anniversary a week ago, but still 'feels' new...and I am focusing on reaching my goal. Biggest challenge is getting my husband to try new healthier meals. Some days we eat together, but different meals, lol.
  • ksludwig
    Options
    We just celebrated our 1st anniversary a week ago, but still 'feels' new...and I am focusing on reaching my goal. Biggest challenge is getting my husband to try new healthier meals. Some days we eat together, but different meals, lol.

We have really grown to love the crock pot for meals. My husband eats everything I make in it! THis is one of his favorites, black bean and ham soup: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/178906-easy-black-bean-and-ham-soup-in-the-crock-pot
  • heather311
    Options
    I have been married for 7 months today! I have been overweight my whole life, but my husband and I are both making changes in the way we eat and live. He has lost about 100 pounds over the past year and I lost 60 pounds(but gained a little back). I don't want to become content with my body just because I am married to someone who will love me no matter what I look like. I love my hubby and I want to look the best I can for him and I want to be healthy for ME! :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Yay! I'm glad to see some people interested in this thread. I agree, crock pot recipes are fantastic! I'm at work now, or I'd post a few of my favorites. I'll try to do it when I get home tonight. My husband and I are big fans of homemade soup, so a lot of our crockpot recipes are in those forms. Crockpots are SO amazing! You can do everything up the night before, put it on in the morning before you leave for work, and it's ready that night! And the recipes are a lot healthier than prepackaged foods.

I gained 7 pounds since the wedding four months ago and have worked off four of those pounds. I'm really trying to get back down to 160. I trained for a 5K and ran it this past weekend. I did OK, but my time could definately be better.... I'm NOT a runner though. I just like having things to look forward to.

My hubby complains that he's overweight and doesn't want to get heavy like his dad, but he really doesn't change his eating habits when he's away from me. He also drags his feet about going to the gym with me. I'd personally LOVE to have him there.:-)

Shannon
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly newlywed! The wedding happened last weekend and I unfortunately haven't had a scale in a few weeks so I'm not sure where I am weight-wise, but I know that my clothes are getting looser so I've got to be doing something right! Thanks for doing this thread Shannon!
  • ksludwig
    Options
    Our photographer posted some of our pictures on his website! Love them!

http://staticmoments.com/2011/10/katie-jeff-inlet-ny/
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Are all of you members of a gym or do you prefer to workout at home?

My husband gave up his second job, so this was his first week officially off of working. Now he's doing 4 days a week instead of 6! I'm really happy to have him around more, but I've also been worried that he'll get even less exercise, just sitting around the house while I'm at work on those two days.

After much prodding, I got him to go to the gym with me yesterday! He got on the elliptical and I got on the treadmill next to him. We did 30 minutes and while I stretched, he lifted some weights. Now that he's been added to the membership, he's much more willing to go since he has the money invested. I'm glad for some motivation on his part, since he complains about his weight, but hasn't done much about it up to this point.

I try to cook healthy, but I can't control what he eats during the day when he goes to work or when he's home alone. That choice has to come from him.

Speaking of food. I made a really good chili recipe yesterday in my crock pot and thought I'd share. I LOVE Wendy's chili and this was a similar tasting recipe. I haven't figured out the calories yet, but I doubt it's too bad:

Wendy's Chili
    Author: CopyKat Recipes
    Recipe Type: Wendy's, soup, chili recipe, copy cat recipe
    Prep time: 15 min
    Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
    Total time: 1 hr 45 min

Ingredients
    2 pounds freshly ground beef
    4 cups (1 quart) tomato juice
    1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée
    1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
    1 medium onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
    1/2 cup celery, diced
    1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
    1/4 cup chili powder (you may want to use less)
    1 teaspoon cumin (if you like real flavor, add more)
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    In a frying pan, brown the ground

Instructions
    In a frying pan, brown the ground beef, then drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients into a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You an also put this in the crock pot on low for 3 to 4 hours while the chili simmers.

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Pictures won't pull up at work. I'll check out the wedding pics when I get home tonight. Can't wait!:-D

Shannon
  • ksludwig
    Options
    Just found this recipe on Skinny Crockpot and I can't wait to try it! :bigsmile:

Balsamic Chicken

Posted by Leslie Marshall

Ingredients:
    4-6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
    2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 onion thinly sliced (Not chopped)
    4 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tblsp olive oil
    1 tsp each: dried oregano,basil, and rosemary
    1/2 tsp thyme
    ground black pepper and salt to taste

Preparation:

Pour the olive oil on bottom of crock pot
    place in chicken breasts, salt and pepper each breast
    put sliced onion on top of chicken
    then put in all the dried herbs and garlic cloves
    pour in vinegar and top with tomatoes

Cook on high 4 hours, serve over angel hair pasta.
  • 1GymKat
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I've been checking this site out for about a month but officially started today. I worked my but off to look smokin' at my wedding and in those every lasting wedding photos. I've always struggled with my weight, hovering around 180lbs. With the help of 30DS and counting calories, I love my wedding photos. Yes I know 180 is still alot but I was toned and feeling great. HOWEVER, without such a crazy goal as a wedding, I found myself constanting gaining after the wedding. Last night I said ENOUGH. So I'm working towards getting my 180 back. And once I do that, we will pick a new goal.

Congrats to all you newly weds. I've been married for 3 months.

We are planning our honeymoon in 5 months and there will be a beach! So I better consider this my new major goal. Because those pictures as well, I want to look great and I want my future kiddies to think so too.

Happy weight loss!
    Jess

Oh and feel free to add me. We can motivate each other to stay fit & healthy not only for ourselves but for our families as well! Current and future.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Wendy's Chili
    Author: CopyKat Recipes
    Recipe Type: Wendy's, soup, chili recipe, copy cat recipe
    Prep time: 15 min
    Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
    Total time: 1 hr 45 min

Ingredients
    2 pounds freshly ground beef
    4 cups (1 quart) tomato juice
    1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée
    1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
    1 medium onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
    1/2 cup celery, diced
    1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
    1/4 cup chili powder (you may want to use less)
    1 teaspoon cumin (if you like real flavor, add more)
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    In a frying pan, brown the ground

Instructions
    In a frying pan, brown the ground beef, then drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients into a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You an also put this in the crock pot on low for 3 to 4 hours while the chili simmers.

Shannon

I used the Calorie Count Analyzer and it said that the recipe makes 10 bowls and contains 296 calories a serving. It was delicious!