Eating Exercise Calories?

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times or more. I've scrolled thru several boards and can't find anything current.

So....are calories burned during exercise meant to be eaten back? I'm exercising very moderately as I get back in the swing to start....so I don't think I need them as much as someone doing more high intensity activities. What is the general consensus?

Thanks!

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories on a daily basis. Sometimes I eat all of them, but most days I just eat 1/2.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I go by my hunger and listen to my body. If I am hungry I eat them back. If I am not that day I don't. Generally, I find I do need to eat some of them when I am exercising a lot. Usually half.

I use them on healthy foods and protein not on junk.
  • City_Bumkin
    City_Bumkin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people talk about eating back the exercise calories. I exercise 5 days a week at a high intensity and and have major calorie burns...that being said, I NEVER eat my calories back. The way I see it is that I have a calorie goal for a reason and I should stick to that, if I was eating back my exercise calories then I'd be consuming almost 3,000kcals a day...that would be rediculous. I don't see how that could help me on my journey?!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Because this site is set up with a deficiency in place already, anything you burn is a bonus and meant to be eaten. However, there's no law about it. I dip into them if I'm hungry. If I'm not, I don't.
  • AngelKeys
    AngelKeys Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input! Have a great Sunday...and GO BEARS! ;)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose, I say no (I didn't eat any of my exercise cals back while losing. If you use MFP's numbers for your burns, I wouldn't eat them all back. Their numbers are estimates and weren't always right for my workouts.