Muscle Weighs More Than Fat

Options
This is something I see people say in every fitness situation - and it drives me CRAZY!!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.... 1 lb muscle weighs the same as 1 lb fat! The real difference is in DENSITY, not weight.

This blog entry is great at explaining it: http://www.lorettawatson.com.au/training/does-muscle-weigh-more-than-fat/

:smile:

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It isn't really untrue. A certain volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat, because it is denser. That is what most people mean when they say muscle weighs more. That is why you can loose inches but see the scale go up.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Fact.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It isn't really untrue. The a certain volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat, because it is denser. That is what most people mean when they say muscle weighs more. That is why you can loose inches but see the scale go up.

Except it takes months to gain a pound of muscle and it is hard to do on a calorie deficit. However, it is really easy to retain water, and exercise actually increases water retention.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    here we go again.....Hope this doesn't get out of hand too soon

1 pount = 1 pound

volume isn't the same...
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. A pound is a pound. If you get into volume and density then there's definately some difference.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    This is something I see people say in every fitness situation - and it drives me CRAZY!!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.... 1 lb muscle weighs the same as 1 lb fat! The real difference is in DENSITY, not weight.

This blog entry is great at explaining it: http://www.lorettawatson.com.au/training/does-muscle-weigh-more-than-fat/

:smile:

Hon, when people say muscle weighs more than fat, they ARE saying that while keeping density in mind. They just don't feel like adding "for a given volume".
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It's like saying a black hole is heavier than a neutron star. There's not enough information given to make the statement true or false. A black hole is heavier than a neutron star of equal size would be more accurate.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Does a bowling ball weigh more than a tennis ball?
    Of course! But, 50 lbs of bowling balls weighs the same as 50 lbs of tennis balls. That doesn't mean bowling balls and tennis balls weigh the same.
  • dkhamees
    dkhamees Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Of course! But, 50 lbs of bowling balls weighs the same as 50 lbs of tennis balls. That doesn't mean bowling balls and tennis balls weigh the same.

My thoughts exactly. I think this thread is splitting hairs a bit. Semantics.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options

EXACTLY.

You guys are so ridiculous with these post. NOBODY has EVER said that one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat!!! Knock off this strawman argument! No offense, but stop acting so profound like you just proved everyone wrong. It is a fact that one cup of fat weighs less than one cup of muscle. Just like one cup of feathers weighs less than one cup of steel.

I repeat: no body is saying the one pound does not equal one pound. They're saying that the same volume of muscle will be heavier than the same volume of fat.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    By volume muscle weights more than fat, by weight they are the same. 1LB= 1lb, but 1 cup of water doesn't weigh the same as 1 cup of oil, because oil is lighter than water. It is the same as muscle, it iIS heavier than fat.

It's really not that hard and when people say that muscle weighs more than fat, we can assume, that if they are intelligent enough to figure that out, then they might actually be intelligent enough to know that they are talking about by volume, not actual 1lb by 1lb comparison.

The thing people are frustrated about is, when someone says they gained 2lbs and someone else says it could be muscle. It is really hard to gain 2 lbs of muscle, while in a calorie deficit, but that seems to be the fall back excuse.

:flowerforyou:
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Exactly. I never hear anyone say 1 lb of muscle > 1 lb of fat. I just hear that muscle weighs more than fat. Just like a bowling ball weighs more than a tennis ball.

People are so ridiculous.
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    here we go again.....Hope this doesn't get out of hand too soon

1 pount = 1 pound

volume isn't the same...

By the same logic, 1 cubic cm = 1 cubic cm, but the weight isn't the same.

I really don't get the big deal, and I'm a HUGE pedant usually, but seriously, everyone knows what people mean when they say it so what is the problem?
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think the main point to remember is a pound of muscle burns more calores than a pound of fat. As everyone is saying 1lb is 1lb but muscle is denser taking up less space. This weight loss journey I'm trying to focus on being healthy not just what the scale tells me. Not only am I rejoicing for every pound loss I am rejoicing in all of the my NSV....changes in how my clothes fit, noticing changes in how I feel and move. In the past it was ALWAYS about the scale...I could never notice the changes in me which resulted in my mind not grasping it either...then came failure then came gaining the weight back plus more. This is a journey for life not a destination on the scale.

Good luck to everyone in whatever your goal is:smile:
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea this was such a heated issue. Didn't mean to start any arguments. I didn't think I was being "so profound" or proving people wrong. I was just making an observation.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this a while ago to really get the point across.

Weight wise, ofc 1lb is 1lb. But, the size and volume required to get that 1lb is different.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcyNNoeg-dNp8vup2hlgmH4zDBbCGPBUuJSFodcWI2LVNGS1th