Can't think of anything else to try...help?

Options
Hi, everyone! I'm pretty new around here, but I've looked through some past posts and couldn't really find what I needed (perhaps I'm just a bad researcher).

I've lost 13 pounds since last spring, took a lot of time in the summer for vacation, etc. where I maintained my new weight. Now I've been back on the weight loss track for 2 months and NOTHING is budging! I cut back my calories to about 1,500/day, I eat small portions but often, I run/walk intervals for 25 minutes/day, 4 times/week. The foods I choose are healthy, I DO eat most of my exercise calories back (which I read here is appropriate). I drink about 80 ounces of water/day. My clothes don't feel different so I'm not shrinking, and the scale says the same thing. I'm about 20 pounds away from my target, so I know progress slows, but 2 months? My exercise above is actually already an increase in an attempt to get back to weight loss.

Is it a calorie issue, should I be eating more? What's missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had to go down to 1200 a day. dont shot the messenger!!!! you asked for help :) DON"T drink you calories!! Water only makes huge difference.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. I went and looked at your profile. There is not much there to gather info for. I do not know what your BMI is, how much you have to lose, ect.

The closer you are to your goal weight the harder it is to lose. You have less room for error. That means if you are overestimating those calories burned or underestimating the calories you eat, it will matter more. If you have your activity setting wrong it will matter more. The other thing is if you have your goal set at like 2lbs a week instead of 1/2 to 1lb that could matter too. I don't know where your 20lb goal brings you either. Is it the high side of a normal BMI or the low side? If it is the low side, then you need to be even more dilligent.

I would go in and check all your settings. Make sure you are set to no more than a pound a week and review your activity setting. Then just stick with it. I took the summer off, and when I went back to it i stayed the same for like 3 weeks, then I actually lost 8lb in one week. I didn't even lose that much my first week. I have more muscle now and I still was in the obese catogory, so I still had more than 35lbs to lose. It looks like I might stay the same or go up this week because of such a huge loss, but I will look at the big picture and move on.

Best wishes to you.
  • jlhalla
    Options
    It seems you might be in an exercise rut. Have you tried mixing up your routine? If you belong to a gym try the elliptical machine or biking to get other muscles working. Also, instead of run/walking for 25 minutes how about increasing it to 45. Or just run for 25 minutes straight.

It might be time to add weight lifting as well. If you build muscle you will increase your calorie burn which might help you get out of your plateau.

Hope this helps,
    j
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I switched up my cardio and you might want to incorporate weight training. Building muscle makes a huge difference
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It took me months to lose a few pounds too then I decided to see if I had a wheat intolerance as although I had lowered calories I was still eating wheat based cereal, toast for either breakfast or supper and sandwiches for lunch most days and potatoes, rice or pasta with each dinner.

I started Tuesday, weighed Saturday and had lost 3 lbs already and it was TOTM when I'm usually over 12st with water retention.. this week I was 11st 9 lightest I've been for years, especially at TOTM.

How much bread, pastries, pasta, rice, potatoes etc do you eat? try cutting down on them if you eat them daily.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your target is, but if it is close to your ideal BMI as of the chart, you might want to find out if that target is realistic for you.
    For me the BMI chart says I should be between 107 and 132, but I come from a body building family with large frames so as per my Doc my normal and healthy weight is between 130 and 150.
    Now I weigh 182 and my pant size should be an 18, but I actually wear a size 10 US pant and a size small shirt.

all in all go to the gym or your doc and find out what is normal for you.
    you maybe just exactly where you need to be.
  • ShinySideUp
    Options
    My success is best with all 4 steps each day:
    1) 1300-1400 calories a day with no more than 100 Carb Grams;
    2) 8-10 glasses of water (10 is better, glass is 8-oz, evenly or earlier in the day is better than later);
    3) yes move everyday, but exercise at least 3-4 times a week for at least 30-min, 45 is better; and,
    4) this is about the toughtest one for me to hit, but you have to get your sleep as that is when the 'furnance runs', when your body burns the fat, sleep at least 8, ideally 9 hours each night.

Weighing in on a Tanita Scale helps me A LOT as I can see if my weight gain/loss is water, fat and/or muscle. It keeps me motivated.

You will succeed!
  • dkhamees
    dkhamees Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @yager8725 – I’m worried that so little intake will put me in starvation mode. I actually started this way for the first two weeks in April 2011, and it worked very well, but then I leveled off. I then upped it to about 1400-1500 and walked about 5 days a week, 30-60 minutes. This really helped with continuous weight loss.

@dlaplume2 – I didn’t realize I hadn’t given enough information, thanks! I’m 5 feet 7 inches, 168 pounds, BMI is 26.3. My goal is 145 pounds, but I’d be happy at a higher weight if I looked slimmer. That makes my goal BMI about 22, which is pretty much in the middle of the normal weight range. Since I started here at MFP my settings have been set to 1 lb/week.

@jlhalla – I should have been much clearer – I’m actually doing the intervals as part of the C25K program. Today I completed W3D1. I do the instructed intervals 4-5 times/week, instead of the three. I just enjoy the running, really. I’m wary of intensifying the program beyond added days – is that a good idea?

@hazelnut861 – I’m in graduate school and really don’t have a lot of time (I study about 6-7 hours a day, not exaggerating). Is there a way to incorporate weight lifting that isn’t time consuming? Or an alternative? Or do I just need to wait to lose weight till I can make time for that (another 6 weeks before my schedule eases up)?

@shakybabe – I have never been huge on carbs. That said, I could stand to eat less. I will definitely try that, thank you! Did you find out you had an intolerance then?

@teagin2002 – I think I probably have a slightly larger frame for a woman, but I don’t think my target is unreasonable (145 pounds, 22 BMI). I’ll pay a visit to the gym and confirm, though, thank you!

@ShinySideUp – I always promise myself I’ll stick to a more strict sleeping cycle – but with studying all the time that almost never happens. But you’re right, that should be a priority. I do wonder if maybe cutting my calories even more will only hurt in the long run – I’ve read about starvation mode and lowering your resting metabolism and I don’t want that!

Thank you so much everyone! I look forward to any feedback anyone can provide.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Put your book on the floor and do push ups. Squats in the shower. Seriously, however you can get it in. Building muscle burns mor than you might realize. I'm full time at a community college but going for my RN so my schedule is heavy but not as much as yours. I also have two small children, a cow, and vegetable garden to tend to on top of housework. If you have to sacrifice some cardio then do it.
  • KCTMom
    KCTMom Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat as you are -my calorie and exercise goals are also very similar! I know I must be doing something wrong but I am at a loss! I am trying positive thinking and mental imagery - it can't hurt, right? I am also re=evaluating what I am eating and making sure that I am not under recording actual amounts. I hope we both figure it out and fast!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure.. I'm going to try it for a month as I've only just started but noticed a difference. For example I used to put on about 5lbs throughout the day... tonight I weighed and I'm only 1lb more at 11st 10 after a day of eating and drinking and haven't been to bathroom yet either so it has definitely helped with water retention.

I also find I sweat more if I get up and do an early morning routine (5am) .. I don't know why but I sweat loads and I use a sauna belt around tummy whilst exercising to sweat more around that area... I've lost 8" off tummy and 4 " off waist!

I've done same routine in middle of day or evening and not sweated at all. so get up early one day... lie in next two days, then 5am start etc as someone said sleep helps if you can get 7-8 hours sleep for most of the week too.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try this http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ I believe alot of people, when they plateau assume they are eating too much and not exercising enough. Some times the opposite is true. Also read this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing.

Good luck and do not give up on your goal. You will get there if you are truly determined to do so!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thank you so much! its good to know that 'm not the only one who wouldnt be healthy at their "healthy weight"!