Tried Everything or at-least everything on this planet!

Options
I have been FAT since the age of 10 (now 49), I have tried everything that you could list on this site to lose weight. Literally you name it I have tried it. I have starved myself, Joined the military hoping that through exercise and discipline I would learn to lose weight and keep it off. Well, that experience just made it more difficult, because now I was becoming overweight and it was jeopardizing my military career. After getting out of the military I once again tried every diet and fad on the market, but I just gained more weight and ended up with pancreaitis and type ii diabetes.

In 2006 I had the Lap Band installed and this helped for about 3 months and I found a way to cheat and gained 40 pounds while living with the Lap Band. I have tried Atkins tens of times, weight watchers, over-eaters anonymous, sprays that you spray onto your tongue to help suppress your appetite, I have used food logs, extreme exercise routines and hypnosis (3) times.

Then in january of 2009 I decided that I had had enough and was going to have a full stomach reconstruction (Roux N-Y) gastric bypass. This helped, as I lost almost 60 pounds in about 5 months. It was great! I went from 310 lb. to about 260 and my diabetes was under control and I could fit into smaller clothes. This wonderful thing I had done only lasted about 7 months, then I noticed that I was hungry all of the time and if I eat sugar or breads (things that your operation causes the body to reject and makes you sick) I no longer got that sick feeling. I have gained every pound and more back, but now I have permanently altered my body and am sick for no apparent reason every morning when I wake up. My surgeon told me "yes we have found out that this kind of thing happens to people who have had the operation". The body simply normalizes the body in spite of the reconstruction. Damn am I angry at myself.

I am now realizing that my body is not hungry, but it is my soul and spirit that is starving, so I am hoping that this site will help me take responsibility for my eating and with other peoples help maybe, just maybe I can do it this time.

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    IT is a day to day commitment, so just go at it one day at a time. Wake up every day with goals in mind for healthy eating and some form of exercise. Take it one pound at a time. Try not to get overwhelmed and just try to BE HEALTHY!!!! Choosing to be healthy by selecting what you put in your mouth and when, and by exercising, you will be successfull.
  • Emzelone
    Options
    Hi I get how you feel, I have only started following healthy eating rules and although I do not feel hungry, I am not satisfied. Its really hard but I just keep telling myself I need to change, I have 105 pounds to loose to get to my target goal and I am determined I am going to get there and stay there. Chin up and have confidence in yourself
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You have to want the weight loss enough to make changes that will last the rest of your life. No more cheating, no more sabotage, no more quick fixes. Eating right and exercise are the ways to do it. It won't be easy but nothing worth it ever is. If you aren't ready to make the changes forever then it won't work. Having others there for you helps, but you have to have the drive to do it first.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Seriously, this site was the only thing that worked for me because it isnt about crash dieting or doing things that are dangerous for your health. It is about teaching you to change your eating lifestyle and make it into a healthy one. I love this site and in the past year have lost over 40 pounds just from eating right and exercising my butt off (quite literally). Just have to want it and be willing to really work for it and i know you can! Hang in there and keep fighting!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want an extra accountability and support buddy! Good luck!!! =)
  • abeachlady
    Options
    You said that you've tried everything. What you need to do is not "try" a new thing, you decide to just do it. You decide to change your lifestyle and get healthy. It isn't hard, it just takes time. No quick fixes here, just a healthier life.
  • Linnybear1974
    Options
    Welcome to the 1st day of the rest of your life :happy:
    You've been on a long and painful road.
    I have been fat since I was 11 (now 37) tried every "diet", lost some weight, put it on plus more too many times to count and just over 3 weeks ago I found myself at 287 lbs. Joined this site and with support and inputting everything I put in my mouth, I have lost 8lbs in 3 weeks since joining (10.5 lbs in total).
    We can't think that we are dieting, it doesn't work!! We just need to retrain ourselves to eating healthier and exercising, losing weight really is as simple as that!

It took years to get to this size and it will take time, patience and support to change. No "quick fixes" because there really aren't any. As you said, it's even possible to cheat with surgery. You can lose weight on many "diets" but people very rarely keep it off, a change of lifestyle and using food as fuel, rather than comfort is the only way to keep it off for life.

I would love us to support each other in this journey. Please feel free to add me.