Personnal Trainer YES or No

Options
I'm considering getting a personnal trainer. I was just wondering for anyone who has or have worked with one, what did you think of them? Is it worth it? Did you get the results you were looking for?
Thanks for the input. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would love one if i could afford it!
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't do it, because I'm too cheap, but I do believe it's worth the money if you have it to spend.

The best explanation I heard was from an interview with Tom Venuto, a high profile trainer and writer. The interviewer asked Venuto to talk about why he himself had a trainer, and he basically said (1) you never realize how much you are leaving on the table until you work out with a good trainer and (2) at a basic level, everybody has 3 more reps in them, and a trainer can help you get those reps.

So yeah, probably nobody knows more about golf than Tiger Woods, and arguably nobody knows more about football than Eli Manning, but they both work with coaches to help them pick up that last 2% that they aren't seeing.

Now the next trick is getting a trainer who is worth the money, and using your time with them effectively, but I don't know anything about that.
  • moon_light10
    Options
    I had one, saw him 3 times a week, for 3 months, then 2 times a week for 1 month,
    I only lost 2lbs with him, so I would personally say no, but it depends if u can afford one or not
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    For me.. it was a no. I wanted to learn how to do it for myself - even if it meant struggling more. I wanted to learn what my body likes and doesn't like.

Plus, I don't much enjoy someone telling me what to do - so I don't think it would have been a positive experience for me.

(I've learned that my body goes against just about everything we all know about weight loss and maintenance -- so I'm REALLY glad I did it on my own!)
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Absoutely, but really shop around. You need to find a trainer who has experience meeting the goal you want. If you have never really worked out a beginner trainer would do. If you have a lot of workout experience and want to go to another level your general staff at the gym probably won't do. If you are stuck on a plateau you would want to look for someone who likes to shake it up.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can learn a lot more, and better info online in regards to diet, routine etc. but if you need a kick in the *ss and someone to make you accountable ($$), it may be the push you need.

I have this thing about personal trainers who aren't in good shape...hard to take em seriously.

I also have this theory that no matter how hard they push you in the gym, if your diet isn't in check, you won't see results. So really, diet is more important. If you're cheating on your diet, or eating crummy, you could workout 23hrs a day and not lose weight, if you eat more then you burn.

But I'm sure some are fantastic, you gotta make sure you work well with them, and realize training doesn't end in the gym alone, hopefully then can teach you some things about nutrition and generally living healthier as well.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't do it, because I'm too cheap, but I do believe it's worth the money if you have it to spend.

The best explanation I heard was from an interview with Tom Venuto, a high profile trainer and writer. The interviewer asked Venuto to talk about why he himself had a trainer, and he basically said (1) you never realize how much you are leaving on the table until you work out with a good trainer and (2) at a basic level, everybody has 3 more reps in them, and a trainer can help you get those reps.

So yeah, probably nobody knows more about golf than Tiger Woods, and arguably nobody knows more about football than Eli Manning, but they both work with coaches to help them pick up that last 2% that they aren't seeing.

Now the next trick is getting a trainer who is worth the money, and using your time with them effectively, but I don't know anything about that.

x2. If you find a GOOD trainer then you will leave your workout knowing that you couldn't have pushed yourself that hard without them. Don't hire someone who is just taking you through the motions of working out or someone who is in it for the 'sales' of getting clients. Make sure your trainer knows what they are talking about, why they do what they do, they motivate you, and push you harder than you could push yourself.

I would ask fellow gym members if they've worked with certain trainers and get opinions before you invest the money. BUT don't forget that your trainer is only part of the equation and it's up to you to push yourself with your diet and training when you aren't together.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use one and I feel like it was an excellent decision for me. Of course I can teach myself any cardio machine, and learn what works for myself in that department, but weights were a different story. Throughout my weightloss (about 3/4 of it maybe) I've worked with a trainer. I really think that her routines are one of the only reasons I'm not totally flabby at this point. I just love getting a personal routine that targets the areas I want to work on, taking out the guess work for me. It really hasn't cost me very much either because I've only seen her about every 2-3 months or so.
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you if you can afford it. I had one who hovered over me and told me how great i smell. How many pounds did i lose? I doubt any because i cancelled my membership!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I had a consultation with one that was young and starting out and inexperienced. I met with her for 20 minutes and she had me do some exercises that strained my back for days. It was way too much at that point and I wouldn't trust her for the long run.

So, it depends on if you can afford one and how good the trainer is. Not all of them are equal. Look for one with lots of qualifications and experience. Interview different ones and see who you feel comfortable with if you decide to go that route.

I decided that I will just save the money and do it on my own slowly but surely.

Then I found this site that has been a huge help. The trainer had recommended Weight Watchers to me but I was reluctant to try that program because of the confusing Points program and the fact that it would be another expense. Apparently she hadn't heard of MFP and that is another strike against her IMO.
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and he is worth every penny! I agree you need someone with experience and who is the right fit for you. My trainer understands my limitations (significant arthritis in one knee & plantar fascitiis in my foot) and works with me around those limitations. He gives homework every week, and encourages me through text messages during the week. He keeps me accountable and is a great teacher and motivator. I've been working with him for 6 weeks and have lost 20 pounds in those six weeks. Totally worth it!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions, gives me something to chew on. I'm interviewing one tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I got to my goal weight and I workout 6 days a week on my own but was thinking I'd like someone to help with getting me more lean and strong without adding bulk.