skipping breakfast to loose weight? :o

Options
apparently the best way to loose weight is to skip the most important meal of the day whats your opinion?

Replies

• Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bad bad badddd. It's better to have a small breakfast then to skip it entirely.
  • Cobain94
    Options
    Bollocks
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    NO >:o
  • rider777
    Options
    A good idea is to workout before eating breakfast! That is a good way to lose weight!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Why "apparently"?
  • keedyboo18
    keedyboo18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work evenings and don't get off work until 11:30pm. By the time I get ready for bed, it's 1am. I don't wake up early in the morning. By the time I have an appetite, it's lunch time. So I usually just do lunch and dinner. Works for me but everyone else is different. Plus I do a lot of walking at work so I may have a snack in between.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Some people feel fine skipping it and others feel poorly or find that they will over indulge at lunch if the skip it. I think it's up to the individual whatever works for them. Either way you need to be tracking your calories - it's easy enough to make your meals smaller so that you can still have them all or you can choose to just skip one and keep the others larger. Just find what seems to work comfortably for you.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    laughable! this is probably in some fad diet book
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm wondering where you heard this because every doctor and dietician I have seen/read/heard about says that the best way to lose weight is to eat breakfast within 30 mins of waking up because your metabolism slows down at night and the longer you go without eating the slower it gets because your body thinks your starving. I used to skip breakfast thinking if i didn't eat the calories I'd lose weight but by the time lunch came along I was so hungry I would over eat at lunch and sometimes at dinner, which is not good for you. So my honest opinion is that it is complete BS. I've lost more weight eating breakfast than I have not eating it. But that's just me.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have adequate willpower and eat healthy, skipping breakfast will not hinder weight loss.

Assuming you have adequate willpower and eat healthy, eating breakfast will not hinder weight loss.

It's different for different people. Biologically speaking there is no noticeable difference. Some say that eating breakfast stops them snacking later on. If you don't snack later anyway, then skipping it wont make a difference!

Significant metabolic slow down occurs somewhere in the 48hr+ range of complete fasting. not eating for 8-10-16 hrs isn't going to be unhealthy

For a full in depth discussion/argument on this, check out this recent thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/355648-stop-eating-breakfast-here-s-why
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Why "apparently"?

Ditto,
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have adequate willpower and eat healthy, skipping breakfast will not hinder weight loss.

Assuming you have adequate willpower and eat healthy, eating breakfast will not hinder weight loss.

It's different for different people. Biologically speaking there is no noticeable difference. Some say that eating breakfast stops them snacking later on. If you don't snack later anyway, then skipping it wont make a difference!

Significant metabolic slow down occurs somewhere in the 48hr+ range of complete fasting. not eating for 8-10-16 hrs isn't going to be unhealthy

For a full in depth discussion/argument on this, check out this recent thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/355648-stop-eating-breakfast-here-s-why
    Really, all was said here. But I need to do some typing today.

Losing weight is the result of calorie deficit. Pure and simple. (there are unhealthy alternatives like binging, amputation, etc. - but for losing weight via diet and exercise, you need a calorie deficit).

Check out the IF (Intermittent Fasting) crowd. They can tell you the science of this.

Me, I can't deal with going too long without some calories. It has nothing to with weight loss, but how my body reacts to low blood sugar. So FOR ME, eating breakfast is important. But not in the context of weight loss. Eating breakfast is important for me because if I go too long on an empty stomach I go from groggy/sluggish to light-headed to spacey to grumpy to irritable to freaking out I need something to eat crazy. But that's just me.

I could eat my entire daily calorie allowance for weight loss (deficit) right before bedtime, and I would be fine for weight loss.

So, to go back to the original post:
    apparently the best way to loose weight is to skip the most important meal of the day whats your opinion?
    This is incorrect.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    loose-lose.jpg
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    loose-lose.jpg

Thank you! My desk remains un-headed for now :D
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Also, just to be clear. If skipping breakfast for you means you end up eating fewer calories per day than if you ate breakfast, well then, you could say there is some correlation to skipping breakfast and weight loss. (Remember correlation != causation)

But you are losing weight because you consumed fewer calories than you burned (ahem... not burnt). It's the fewer calories that are causing the weight loss.

There may be correlation to me eating left-handed and weight loss. But that doesn't mean switching to my non-dominant hand *caused* the weight loss.

The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is mostly marketing BS. It is important for SOME PEOPLE because they might need some calories when they go into work, or go to school, etc. It has no direct affect on weight loss.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    me personally think its a bad idea. u should have 3 balanced meals and a snack between meals as fruit
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    clearly you've done your research
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    No. Weight loss consists of simple math, and limiting unhealthy foods. Do not consume more than you burn, and you will lose weight. You may skip breakfast, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will eat less calories. Skipping breakfast might cause you to feel ravenous later, leading binging or overeating.
    And it's "lose", not "loose".
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    If I skip breakfast all I want to do later in the day is snack - to me, breakfast is the most important meal as it sets me up for the day.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    loose-lose.jpg

:drinker: :laugh: