Spaghetti Squash

Options
tmarie2715
tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
I wish I had stumbled upon this glorious vegetable years ago.

I had it with homemade red sauce and grilled chicken, and then made it into chicken "noodle" soup (just add the roased, shredded squash to your bowl the squash after the chicken and veggies are done cooking in broth) last night. YUM!

Hoping this will push some of you other folks into trying as well. :)

Replies

• Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I only even heard of this yesterday when I was reading a new training book. i looked for it at the supermarket but they had none today. Definately keeping my eyes peeled for it though :)
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last year. I put it in the pan with some water, face down and baked it. Mixed with some roasted veggies, a bit of balsamic, and a sprinkle of feta and YUM!

Yesterday I roasted it face up in the oven with no water and salt and pepper for an hour. It wasn't my fave. It was a bit too crunchy. I'm attempting a lasagna type concoction right now. I think I'm the type that needs it to be thoroughly cooked. I love the idea of adding it to soup. I will have to try it!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've just started using is recently. I make a bunch of it with Arrabiata sauce and various veggies to last me for lunch or dinner for most of the week. I love it!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last year. I put it in the pan with some water, face down and baked it. Mixed with some roasted veggies, a bit of balsamic, and a sprinkle of feta and YUM!

Yesterday I roasted it face up in the oven with no water and salt and pepper for an hour. It wasn't my fave. It was a bit too crunchy. I'm attempting a lasagna type concoction right now. I think I'm the type that needs it to be thoroughly cooked. I love the idea of adding it to soup. I will have to try it!

That sounds lovely with the veggies, curious how your lasagne turns out
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this week and I'm in love! I love the idea of putting it in soup!!
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, I wish I had heard of it years ago as well! I had heard about it a few months back but recently just found some at the store. I absolutly LOVE it!! Not to mention how good it is for you! I cook mine and then freeze it so I have it longer. There is so much you can do with it, its endless!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this for years! LOVE the stuff. I tend to cook it in the microwave so I can have it in a few minutes instead of in a hour in the oven. It doesn't caramelize when you "nuke" it but since I'm covering it was something with a strong flavor, I don't need the caramelization.
  • GBethPowers
    Options
    I have heard of it being baked face down in water. How long do you bake it? How do you know it is done? All of these ways of fixing it sound yummy.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I didn't even use water. I have a Misto-- so sprayed some EVOO on aluminum foil in the oven. Face down, 375 deg for 40 minutes. PERFECT.

Trader Joes sells them, if you are lucky enough to have one close, Libby. 1.99 for one, which fed me for FOUR meals.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of angel hair sometimes. My hubby likes it and so does my daughter! Bake it with a little olive oil and seasoning, then once its on my plate I top it with either ground beef or ground turkey, green/yellow/orange peppers, white onions, black olives. And then spaghetti sauce. Top with a little cheese and YUM!!!! And so much lower in cals and carbs.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I baked one in the oven yesterday - 45 mins at 375. I cut the squash in half lengthwise first and put them facedown in a baking dish with some water. It's done when a fork or knife can easily pierce the skin.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've loved spaghetti squash since I was a child.. I actually picked one up at the grocery store this morning. One of my favorite comfort meals (and tomorrow's dinner) is a large bowl of cooked spaghetti squash, tomato pasta sauce, and cottage cheese.. I nuke it in the microwave to heat through and melt the cheese, then I sprinkle with pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and parmesan cheese.. :)
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    trying tomorrow for dinner made a large pot of pasta sauce and for me will replace the pasta with the squash ..will let you know..tried it a couple years ago son and i were not sold on it but i am going to try again
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Depending how big the specific squash is, it is sometimes hard to cut in half so sometimes I just pierce it with a knife and bake whole. It is harder to remove the seeds after it is cooked because they are more attached to the flesh at that point.

When I cut it in half I usually just bake it face up. I sometimes use Mrs. Dash seasoning on it and sometimes not.

A couple of times this past Spring I was "over tired" of it... and the flavor just wasn't working with me... so after it was "spaghetti'ed" I would throw in the same frying pan that I was cooking a burger or sausage in and let it soak up that flavor.

Also, it's a great base for other veggies. I'm not big on mixed veggies, carrots & peas, so I add a bit of those frozen on top of my spaghetti squash, microwave and add deli mustard! YUM!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hubby suggested it a few months ago and I cannot get enough. I love that it still has a crisp texture even when cooked.

I did try to use it for homemade mac n cheese and it was a total disaster! Way too wet. I definately want to hear how the lazania turns out.

I think I'll try the mac n cheese again but keep the cheese sauce on the thick side. Any suggestions would be welcome.
  • maricruz15
    Options
    i just had that for dinner last night. its amazing i love squash i eat it at least 3 times a week with tomato and onions sometimes i add some jalapenos for a little spice:)
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Been eating it half my life. Fav prep is cut in half length wise, face down with a little water on a plate and covered with the big plastic cover thingie in the microwave for 9m 30sec (I get large ones) and then turn it over when I take it out, fluff up the innards with a pair of forks and toss right in the shell with a little parkay and a lot of fresh chives and black pepper. Simple perfection, I eat it every week. I could branch out with what I do with it, but it's so good, I never seem to get around to any variations!
  • jen_pughe
    jen_pughe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We eat it once a week and my kids LOVE it. They have no idea that it's not actual spaghetti pasta. I think it's great!!
  • jenrusow
    jenrusow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Had this for dinner tonight... my favorite way to eat it:

baked in 9x13 cut in half face down - sprayed with cooking spray, sprinkle with mrs. dash and diced garlic
    brown lean ground beef in pan with garlic and mrs. dash, plus woistshire (sp?) sauce
    when beef done, mix in jar of mushroom alfredo and heat
    serve on top of shredded spaghetti squash

SO YUMMY!

PS Went to pumpkin patch/farm store this weekend and found them for .39/lb!! Bought 2 large ones for $3.14 total. At my grocery store I think they are usually around 1.98 per lb. Great deal at the farm!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Love these things. I like to make pasta carbonara with it. Not super healthy, but yum :) I saw this recipe that I want to try:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html