Please will someone tell me I'm not going loopy??

Options
Okay, upon receiving some information, I have firmly resolved to lose at least 20 pounds by June (would like to lose 30 but will settle for 20). I have been reasonably faithful to my Weight Watchers eating plans, etc. and have lost 18 pounds or so, so far, and a couple of dress sizes, through exercise as well as portion control.

I stepped on the scale this morning, after a week of being REALLY good with the points/calories (I do both, and they do tend to correlate with each other) to find that I appear to have GAINED this week, instead of lost!!!

Now, this is just NOT fair!! I haven't starved myself. I haven't over-eaten. I haven't felt deprived (until today, because of what I saw on the scale this morning!!). I have exercised - actually *more* than the previous week, when I lost a pound.

So what the devil is going on, please???

Here's what I DO know: a pound of fat and a pound of muscle is still a pound., but take up different levels of skin-space, if you know what I mean. Muscle is leaner than fat so I know that I could be a hundred and whatever pounds but be leaner, if it's mostly muscle. I also know that I have been exercising faithfully, including cardio, weights, etc. and HAVE seen a difference in the amount of weight I can move at the gym (e.g. can go heavier on the arm and leg weights).

So, why did I GAIN a pound instead of lose it???? Or stay the same? I would okay if it had stayed the same.

Also, I weigh myself each evening and each morning, to see the difference between end (after meals) and beginning. Just out of curiosity. My end weight had been much higher that it has been this week - I have literally been 3-4 pounds lower in the evening than I was last week, but yet I am HIGHER in the morning than I was last week.

Example: Weight at 10pm last week might be 173-174. Weight at 10pm THIS week was around 170-171, with little or no difference in what I'd eaten over the day.

However, weight in the morning (around 6am) last week would be around 166-167, but THIS week at the same time was what depressed me - 168+.

Anyone know WHY????

Thanks for letting me grieve....:sad:

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Okay, upon receiving some information, I have firmly resolved to lose at least 20 pounds by June (would like to lose 30 but will settle for 20). I have been reasonably faithful to my Weight Watchers eating plans, etc. and have lost 18 pounds or so, so far, and a couple of dress sizes, through exercise as well as portion control.

I stepped on the scale this morning, after a week of being REALLY good with the points/calories (I do both, and they do tend to correlate with each other) to find that I appear to have GAINED this week, instead of lost!!!

Now, this is just NOT fair!! I haven't starved myself. I haven't over-eaten. I haven't felt deprived (until today, because of what I saw on the scale this morning!!). I have exercised - actually *more* than the previous week, when I lost a pound.

So what the devil is going on, please???

Here's what I DO know: a pound of fat and a pound of muscle is still a pound., but take up different levels of skin-space, if you know what I mean. Muscle is leaner than fat so I know that I could be a hundred and whatever pounds but be leaner, if it's mostly muscle. I also know that I have been exercising faithfully, including cardio, weights, etc. and HAVE seen a difference in the amount of weight I can move at the gym (e.g. can go heavier on the arm and leg weights).

So, why did I GAIN a pound instead of lose it???? Or stay the same? I would okay if it had stayed the same.

Also, I weigh myself each evening and each morning, to see the difference between end (after meals) and beginning. Just out of curiosity. My end weight had been much higher that it has been this week - I have literally been 3-4 pounds lower in the evening than I was last week, but yet I am HIGHER in the morning than I was last week.

Example: Weight at 10pm last week might be 173-174. Weight at 10pm THIS week was around 170-171, with little or no difference in what I'd eaten over the day.

However, weight in the morning (around 6am) last week would be around 166-167, but THIS week at the same time was what depressed me - 168+.

Anyone know WHY????

Thanks for letting me grieve....:sad:
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm in the same boat that you are... I try to be careful couting calories, have basically given up sugar, am exercising more, and last weigh in I also gained a pound. And I am so afraid to weigh on Tuesday. I don't know what happened either, but im with you....:frown:
  • wibrown
    wibrown Posts: 30
    Options
    I could be possible that you have build muscle. Maybe someone can verify this but I have heard that muscle weighs more than fat. When that happened to me I was told to not be discouarged and keep eating right that if I built up muscle I would weigh more. Just keeping thinking positive thoughts and maybe give your self a few days to see what happens.

Nikki
  • songsnsuds
    Options
    If your goal was to lose 20 by june then you have 5 months left to lose 2 or 12 pounds just relax and keep doing what you are doing youll be fine.
  • bldntz1856
    bldntz1856 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your not going loopy!

I must say with everything you are accomplishing, you are doing great! Has your diet changed from 3pm on? Have you been keeping your fluid intake throughout the weeks? Something in your diet must have changed since your caloric output (exercise) has increase.

I am not a huge fan of the scale! I weigh myself once, maybe twice a week to check progress. Each month I have my bodyfat tested at the gym I workout at. The owner does this free of charge for all of his members. I take these number and compare them each month to find successes and opportunities. This tells me if I am acheiving my goal of reducing fat and gaining muscle mass.

I have been gaining weight while reducing my bodyfat for the last six months, so a pound of muscle definitely looks better that a pound of fat!

Fun fact- One inch off the waist = Four pounds of fat!

Keep focused, and have fun!

:happy:
  • slieber
    Options
    Thanks all! I use my own scale twice daily (cuz I'm nosy like that) but use the WW weigh in as my official count.

This week it showed that my weight hadn't changed from last week - which actually made me feel much more relieved.

Yes, I have changed some things - I worked out a lot more and stayed very much within my points without going under 18 (I'm allowed 20, but they said I could go to 18 safely).

But it's still danged annoying.... :grumble:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Your not loopy and not to get personal but what time of the month is it for you? I used to gain before a monthly. Hope this helps.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that if you are working out more now than when you began your WW program, your caloric intake needs adjusted! I spent about a month "stuck" for lack of a better term. I was then consuming slightly higher calories around Christmast and working out less because of the winter crud, and I started losing weight again!

You really may need to be closer to 20, maybe even more. I would have your diet & exercise re-evaluated. It's too easy for this to happen, so don't get frustrated! And 20 lbs is completly realistic by June so let me know how I can help!
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    You are NOT loopy at all we all go through these weird weight times and can be really really frustrating.. but can i just suggest weighing yourself in the morning and only once a week at the same time.. weighing yourself in the morning and the night will cause weird fluctuations. Weighing yourself at night will be a higher value than what you usually weigh cuz u are still carrying around the weight of the food you actually ate... Weight yourself in the am!!

Good luck..

Keep ur head up
    Uve already lost so much already!!!
    xoxox
  • asg301323
    Options
    I have heard so many WW people tell the same story. I am starting to think they are adjusting scales to keep fewer lifetime members. I know that souds paranoid but it is a for-profit business. Keep checking yourself on your own scale. asg301323
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Your fluid intake can make a lot of difference, especially combined with what kind of food you're eating - i.e., foods high in sodium will cause you to retain fluid and therefore increase your weight.

Weighing yourself twice a day is a lot, and there are bound to be days like this when your weight fluctuates and it is disheartening. Be careful not to get too obsessed with the scale - after all, how you feel in your body is the reward, not the number on the scale.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You're not loopy, you're normal.

Are you taking your measurements? If you're not, I would heartily recommend it. For about the last two months, on my weekly weigh in, my weight has dropped by one pound. But, I've had to go down two pants sizes.

The scale is a liar. IMHO.:tongue:

and to second an above opinion, especially at a certain special lady time.:wink:
  • slieber
    Options
    I was not having an impending "friend" visit, which is WHY I went a bit nuts with what was happening.

I usually gain about 2 pounds (sometimes more) just in bloat at that point, and have other signs so I don't get upset by the scale when that time is upon me. Thanks.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

I've posted this before, but it's a really good explanation of the scale drama. Even if you're friend isn't on the way, normal hormonal fluctuations play a big part for me. As does diet, and which way the wind is blowing.:flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    Options
    I weigh myself because I like to know what the difference actually could be between morning, evening and following morning. Just nosy like that.

The weird bit is that when I was a higher weight, and eating a bit more, the drop between evening and the next morning was nearly 5 pounds (makes me wonder how much I toss and turn, actually -can we count that as exercise??? :wink: ).

It was so odd that I had a lower evening weight and a slight drop off in the morning - around 2lbs - eating more strictly.

I'll eat up to my 20 points and see what happens. When I went through this before (WW), I lost 50 pounds over the year.

As I said before, though, I'm glad to say the WW scale did NOT show a gain. Okay, I didn't lose, but not gaining is a good thing when I thought I had gone up.

I truly appreciate all the replies and the support. THANKS!!!! :flowerforyou: