New to site and loving it!

Options
Hi:
I joined the website about a week ago and I really love what it offers. While I'm not in HUGE weight loss mode these days, I spent the last 5 years working really hard to get in the best shape of my life. I found that keeping a food and exercise journal is one of the best ways to control weight and stay on track and MFP makes keeping a journal very simple. I also love the reports it provides. I'm turning 40 in November and am determined to maintain my current fitness levels and weight but I have noticed that it gets harder and harder the older I get.
I'd love to build a network of friends on MFP. I've found that so many people have similar goals and health and wellness ideals. I'd love to hear your advice and maybe I can offer some good tips for you too.
One thing I've really struggled with is portion control and trying to figure out how much to eat each day for my active lifestyle. It seems the less I weigh, the less I can eat. And, if I do eat, the scale immediately goes in the wrong direction. It can be so frustrating.
At the end of the day, I know good nutrition and fitness habits need to be life-long endeavors. Not just something you do before your high school reunion, getting married, or some other benchmark in life. I want to grow old with my family and ski with my grandkids when I'm 82 (maybe even beat them down the hill)! Let's hope I make it ;)

Replies

• daleworley
    Options
    very well said
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I look forward to being where you are -- in maintainence mode! Good for you! I'm sure you will find others here in the same boat, and it'll help keep you fit!
  • sexypr1ncess
    sexypr1ncess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    welcome!! i love this site myself; i find the calorie counter easy to add everything i've consumed without having to try to figure out the calories myself- it is perhaps one of my favorite features. and the people are so encouraging- i noticed there are always numerous replies to almost every post. it makes me feel the people here really do care to try to encourage others instead of just using the site for themselves. you can add me if you want! i'm not horribly out of control- but i have always said i was going to be one of those grandma's who are in shape and don't look their age- it has to start somewhere and the younger i am, the more set in a routine i'll be and the less my body will have to work to maintain a healthy, fit body. good luck to you keeping up with your goal and keeping your body healthy!!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Nicely put! I am 50...will be 51 in March. I never really had a problem with weight gain even into my early 40's because I kept pretty active. I had a lot of physical activity with my job and I walked 3 miles nearly everyday. I have had a desk job for the past 8 years and I do find that being older I was having a hard time to keep my weight in check. My goal is to lose 20 to 251lbs and this site has been wonderful for me...I had never been a calorie counter before and I was really not eating enough food (breakfast skipper - sometimes lunch) now I am eating more and actually losing weight!

I love this site!!