I'M STUCK!

Options
I've hit that dreaded "P" word :sad: I need help. I've been stuck at 239-237 for a while and I dont know what to do to get back on track. Some days I eat like crap, but for the most part I'm eating the same. I run 3 days per week without fail and burn between 700-300 (depending on how hard I go at it). Ugh....so tired of this. What to do? Go back to high intensity workouts and leave running for now? Throw out carbs? Eat dog food? What?!

Replies

• twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you it's used to what you're doing; which happens pretty quick, actually. You just need to change things up. If you keep running, maybe add some ankle weights. Try some circuit training, instead of just running. I don't know if you're going to the gym or working out at home, so it's harder to make specific suggestions. Maybe while you're running, change your 'path' and try going up a small incline. Couple this with keeping a better eye on food intake, you should push right through this 'P'-word. :)
  • yesenia195p
    yesenia195p Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You need to shock your body by eating something against your diet. Also, change up your routine. Instead of running, try swimming or use an elliptical machine. If you can't try aerobic videos on youtube or Zumba.
  • llbreell
    Options
    When I've hit my plateau I go out and have a TERRIBLE dinner, and the next day do a crazy cardio and continue the cardio for the following 6 days. Make sure you're drinking enough water, too.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yea, so I realized that in order to get this weight off I can't just run. So...not sure if I'm going to start today, but soon I'm going to start Insanity and run...maybe run. I don't know. Doing Turbofire and running was really taking a toll on my body before so I'm not so sure I can hang with Insanity and running, but I'm going to try. Hopefully that will help me push through this stupid "p" word :angry:
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength with your cardio workouts? That will really help. I might also try bumping up running to 4 days a week .
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, it seems like plateaux for me are at set points... usually around every 10 lbs. They seem to be on the 2's now... 182... 172... 162...

Keep drinking that water. I'm zigzagging atm to fall off mine.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. if you try the "eat dog food" diet, I'd really like to know how that works.

2. there are lots of good studies about how HIIT burns visceral fat...not just during the workout, but for 24-48 hours afterwards. I love my HIIT workouts. they are efficient and I know I'm busting *kitten*. Most of my HIIT workouts involve some form of sprint intervals. here are the types of sprint intervals I do (usually 2-3x per week...mixing in running or biking on off days, or just resting).

a. sprint/jog combo. jog for 45-60 seconds/sprint for 10-15 seconds...repeat for up to 20 intervals.

b. sprint/bodyweight exercise combo. sprint for 10-20 seconds, do a bodyweight exercise, rest until your HR drops...repeat for 6-12 intervals, each one with a different bodyweight exercise.

c. shuttle sprint/bodyweight exercise combo. The shuttle sprint (a/k/a suicides) is a nice change to the standard straight sprinting. I read that changing direction during the drill makes a difference. I've added this combo recently and what I do is run a suicide and then do 3-4 bodyweight exercises (usually 2 upper body/2 lower body for the first 3 intervals...and an ab circuit for the 4th interval). I rest between intervals until my HR drops and I repeat for 4 total intervals, finishing off with a final suicide or a few straight sprints.

d. sprint/walk combo. sometimes I just do a 10-20 second sprint, walk back, rest, and repeat.

the key on any HIIT training is to go ALL OUT for each work interval, and to truly rest during the rest interval. you have to get your HR up to near max to get the most benefits from HIIT, so the rest interval is as important as the work interval.